Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What genny do i need?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bucephalas69
    25 Oct 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hi guy's, sorry to dominate forum, but I'm a novice as far as generators are concerned.

What spec genny do i need?

I'll be running 2 laptops, 2 Mitsu printers and in all probs around 180Watts of light bulbs.

Richy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Oct 2008 - 11:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog
    ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2008 - 11:12 PM

mitsubs are power hungry , you will need at least 2kw probally more , laptops use very little,
    the problem is invertor gennies are needed to prevent power spikes, but are a lot more expensive but very reliable
    three ways to do it
    a large diesal gennie very quite , price from 600 for copy of honda up to 2000 for honda

3kw suitcase gennies 400 for honda clone, 1500 for hondas

a honda open frame 5kw which is what i used for 4 years, run through a trip system , then through a spike protector, cheaper around 300 for copy and 500-600 for honda

you need to add up max watt draw for all equipment then add on 50% for a reserve

dont be tempted to use very cheap 2 stroke gennies they will blow electrics and need filling too often

factor in for a shelter /cover for rain , also you need to check for some events where you need quite gennies on the rules , we also have a fire extinguisher beside the gennie just in case of accidents

Bucephalas69
    26 Oct 2008 - 4:59 PM

Cheers for that.
    It's been more of a mindfield than any other aspect of starting up.

On my initial business plan I estimated 400 for the genny, having spent 5 mins on google. Looks like i cocked that one up.
    Never expected the genny to cost more than the exhibition tent!

Richie

ZenTog
    26 Oct 2008 - 5:13 PM

well the gennie is the hardest working bit , you might be better using one mitsub with one for back up
    if you use pcs rather than laptops power used will be much higher as rule

we started with cheap market tool place gennies , packed up after three outings, had to borrow one on site, then went for the boscheman copies, not bad lasted a year, had a old noisy honda open frame that lasted 4 years of very hard work, `used to carry a 2kw boscheman for quite outings where noise had to be kept down, then carried the 5kw honda which lasted till this season, got too wet blew gennie coil next time out.

dont buy cheap gazeebos if you want them to last a whole season, or buy b&Q then take them back when they collapse ,they just throw them into a skip when returned

if you are just setting up look into used exhibition trailers, much easier to use and set up in all weathers, in bad weather som etime we have to take the gazeebo down. WE lost a brand new " professional " quality 6m tent whn the wind swung around 180 degrees and made the gazeebo into a kite, lifted it on to the roof of the van smashing the van awning as well, 400 of gazeebo down the drain and awning needing repairs, we use corkscrew ground spikes and rachet straps to winch down the gazeebos for all weathers dont trust the guy ropes for sure they pull off slight breeze

clickdog
    clickdog  684 forum posts
    27 Oct 2008 - 11:15 AM

I agree with Zen, we have a 3kw Honda with a custom built inverter thingy added we purchased in 2000 and it still works perfectly. I do use a grounding spike and RCD's now and would buy a complete on board current protection system for our next upgrade, I have been quoted circa 1000 for a 3-4 kw and onboard RCD. Some sites are going to insist on a fully protected system next year in our area.

BTW Zen would you expect to pay a bit more for a trailer than a B & Q gazebo? I am looking but there seems to be a bit of a lack of decent trailers at a reasonable price ie sub 10,000.

ZenTog
    27 Oct 2008 - 12:12 PM

loads come up in winter for around 1000 -2000 on ebay some really nicely kitted out ones as well , scruffy ones needing renovation start cheaper
    you would pay a lot for a brand new one, saw one that cost over 30,000 being sold for under 3000
    type in exhibition trailer, event trailer, marker trailer all have them in different areas , keep looking end of season and beginning of new seasons is very good time to buy

i use a proper RCD inside the van a domestic one for a house /garden waterproof , helath and safety is getting stronger each year , we use a roped off area with bright flouro rope to make sure people dont come too near the gennie, my ex boss had one run over by a 4x4 shame .................

DuncanH
    DuncanH  6 United Kingdom
    28 Oct 2008 - 10:11 AM

I brought a Stephill Generator 2.7kva/2.2KW 3 years ago (400) and done me well (chancing my luck saying that Smile)
    Here's a link to the model - link

When I buy my next one it will be LPG as some showgrounds etc are banning petrol ones

DuncanH
    28 Oct 2008 - 10:16 AM

PS
    I'm looking for a bigger trailer so if anyone sees or is selling a used trailer, about 12/14ft side opening walk in, please let me know.

Bucephalas69
    29 Oct 2008 - 10:03 PM

Cheers guys.
    Zen, i've been looking out for a trailer for some time. The problem is that with some sites I can't get a vehicle anywhere close to the action so a Marquis is probably the best bet.
    I've just about decided on the VITABRI 2.7x5.3 mtr.
    It's rock solid and i've found a seperate supplier for cheap water/sand filled weights for hard standing.
    The stephill generator looks interesting, but what's this about LPG?
    Didn't know LPG gennies were mainstream yet.
    If there's any chance of getting grief for using pertrol I suppose I should look at it now.

Anyway, great advice. Many Thanks

PS: If anyone else can recommend a good quality Marquis manufacturer before I spend the cash, please do.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2008 - 10:10 PM

It has to be Honda or Yamaha!

DuncanH
    29 Oct 2008 - 10:36 PM

Quote: It has to be Honda or Yamaha!

My preference is Honda

My Stephill is a Honda four stroke engine in an open frame. You can buy these converted to LPG.
    When I need to replace it I'll look at the enclosed Honda as this is quieter but more expensive . I know someone who has a Honda eu2000i converted to LPG and is happy with it. I would look at the Honda eu3000i as I want more than 2000 watts.

To add a bit more about LPG - I've been told some showgrounds will only accept diesel or LPG and London Parks are LPG only. As yet I haven't been challenged with my petrol genny but it only need a jobsworth to cause trouble at an event.

Bucephalas69
    30 Oct 2008 - 12:55 PM

I've just spoken to Steve at Stephill generators for advice.

It's his belief that most events insist on diesel or LPG if they're running a food trailer. Something to do with food hygiene or H&S he thinks.

I can't find the Honda eu3000i for sale anywhere. I'm guessing it's been discontinued and replaced by the eu30is.
    If that's the case then I'll have to ask Santa, because at 2K, it's out of my price range.

Last Modified By Bucephalas69 at 30 Oct 2008 - 1:08 PM
    stolzy
    stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2008 - 1:58 PM

Quote: It's his belief that most events insist on diesel or LPG if they're running a food trailer.

That's interesting - anyone know why?

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225744 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2008 - 2:00 PM

Quote: That's interesting - anyone know why?

'Cos the first customer looked at the stock and said "Diesel do nicely!" Smile

Last Modified By Just Jas at 30 Oct 2008 - 2:01 PM
    clickdog
    clickdog  684 forum posts
    31 Oct 2008 - 9:22 AM

Yes and will that burger give me gas?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.