Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What have you learned from photography?

edsephiroth 8 169 9 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2009 10:59AM
Hi folks.
Curious to know what people feel they have learned from photography over the weeks, years or decades it has figured in their lives?

I definitely don't mean in the sense of filter types, lenses, whether Canon is better than Nikon etc (but go on, slip a joke about that in if you must) ;o)

Rather, what has your interest in photography, whether purely personal, commercial, pro, enthusiast or amateur helped you learn about life and the world in a broader context?

I know it has taught me things, or perhaps a better way to put would be that I have learned and seen things I otherwise might not, as a result of photography being so important in my life.

I await your erudite and sagely reflections!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Apr 2009 11:03AM
It's helped me learn there are more important things than going to work and earning a salary Wink

Hence when I lose my job on Thursday I'm not rushing back on the treadmill and will be spending some of April and May taking photos and considering the future.
mark2uk 8 739 8 England
7 Apr 2009 11:08AM
I look at the world around me a lot more than before I got hooked on photography Smile

I also drive a lot so should keep my eyes on the road Sad
ljesmith 10 1.1k United Kingdom
7 Apr 2009 11:08AM
Patience
csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Apr 2009 11:10AM

Quote:I look at the world around me a lot more than before I got hooked on photography

I also drive a lot so should keep my eyes on the road

That is so true, but not crashed yet Wink
JamesBurns 6 1.3k 7
7 Apr 2009 11:14AM

Quote:Curious to know what people feel they have learned from photography over the weeks, years or decades it has figured in their lives?

There are a lot of very quiet people out there, who know a great deal. There are also a lot of loud people out there, who know very little...
digipix76 7 577 England
7 Apr 2009 11:15AM

Quote: I'm not rushing back on the treadmill and will be spending some of April and May taking photos and considering the future.
.....Good for you cheryl.
Quote:
Curious to know what people feel they have learned from photography over the weeks, years or decades it has figured in their lives

I can vent my anger or pleasure in a constructive way!
7 Apr 2009 11:22AM

Quote:It's helped me learn there are more important things than going to work and earning a salary

I hear that! Sorry to hear about the job too though :o(

PS- if anyone can tell me how to put proper smileys (or saddies??) on my posts, then that will be another thing I have learned, hehe.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Apr 2009 11:34AM
smilies

Not looking for sympathy on the job front, been expected for a few months now. Trying to see it as another opportunity as eventually being made redundant 3 years ago became, even if it did not seem so at the time.

Maybe photography will become the answer to the problem posed by unemployment Smile
7 Apr 2009 11:36AM

Quote:smilies

Thought it couldn't be that simple. Well...occam's razor eh?
Smilies all round Smile
7 Apr 2009 11:41AM

Quote:Trying to see it as another opportunity as eventually being made redundant 3 years ago became, even if it did not seem so at the time.

Well amidst all the doom and gloom you're actually not the first person to be taking something positive from the "forced re-evaluation" that the so-called credit crunch is causing.

On a different scale, it's forcing people to think about things they buy, the things they waste, the things they take for granted which can't all be bad either.

Good for you for seeing the glass half full! Smile
riprap007 10 1.6k 37 England
7 Apr 2009 11:53AM
it's taught me that maths can be useful for art LOL, and how pejorative the word 'nice' can be Wink
7 Apr 2009 12:22PM
How to look at things differently and not take a scene for granted.

jk
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2009 12:30PM
To look more closely and see more clearly.

The world is a wonderful place (just as well as its the only place we got! Smile )
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
7 Apr 2009 1:39PM
I'll echo what Brian says. I look up and around and down and at far more than I used to. Sometimes I don't want even to take a photograph - sometimes it's enough just to take something in and store it away.

It's also given me a medium for interpreting my love of people watching and making stories about them, plus more confidence in myself and my creative abilities.

A means of making a small income (once I pull my finger out and just get on with it ..)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.