Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

What is "image quality"?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 5:21 PM

It all depends on the context of the question.

If someone asks 'what do you think of the image quality of this picture' people will bring in the photographic skills of the photographer.
If you ask 'does f16 give better image quality than f8' the assumption would be they are referring to sharpness, contrast, dynamic range etc. Ditto for lens A/lens B

Last Modified By mikehit at 2 Jan 2013 - 5:23 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2013 - 5:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 5:30 PM

Ade

Show us in photographic terms your perception of Image Quality and a Quality Image

Add kit used and settings...and the all important PP

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 5:49 PM

I didn't make either of those assumptions Wink

That's the point - when someone asks about image quality, it means different things depending on who they're talking to.

For me it's more about evoking a feeling, for others it'll be down to what a print looks like under a magnifying glass.... who knows what else people assume.

llareggub
llareggub  4698 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jan 2013 - 5:51 PM

I am not sure why people find it so hard to divorce aesthetic quality and image quality, aesthetic quality is driven by the grey matter between the photographers ears and image quality will largely be defined by the kit in front to the photographers face (assuming it is used in a manner to get the best out of it) Smile

lawbert
2 Jan 2013 - 6:36 PM

Quote: I didn't make either of those assumptions Wink

That's the point - when someone asks about image quality, it means different things depending on who they're talking to.

For me it's more about evoking a feeling, for others it'll be down to what a print looks like under a magnifying glass.... who knows what else people assume.

I hope your not charging peeps for that misguided opinionWinkTongue

Or your giving out epz cards to punters so they see a little bit further than.....well....you said it all reallyWinkTongue

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 7:08 PM

wtf you on about?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 9:00 PM

Quote: wtf you on about?

Well you started it Ade Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 9:30 PM

Surely Image Quality is very easily defined much the same way as Image Quality is tested in a bench lens test. A Quality Image is another matter.

ade_mcfade
2 Jan 2013 - 9:32 PM

started what?

think the comments got a bit out of synch there, was busy and didn't hit post for ages, but no idea what Lawbert's on about

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 2 Jan 2013 - 9:32 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 9:35 PM

Umm... interesting how open the definitions are (or perhaps closed).

As ever - the term relates to the context.

In a magazine reviewing a new bit of kit the context is likely to be technical and measured scientifically where possible. In an exhibition, less so (but perhaps not always). I like Keith's distinction too - a fair point well made.

Quote: “Taken out of context I must seem so strange.”

Last Modified By sherlob at 2 Jan 2013 - 9:38 PM
lawbert
3 Jan 2013 - 5:22 PM

Quote: Started what?

think the comments got a bit out of synch there, was busy and didn't hit post for ages, but no idea what Lawbert's on about

Put simply you charge people for your expertise when possibly you are not as knowledgeable as you purport.

IQ is IQ.....I explained what it was and many after me.

perhaps you could search epz or the web, pop down the library and look at a book or 2...its all there.

Its your business...not mineWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.