Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What is Action? What is not?

Frank_Reid e2
9 225 1 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2007 11:33PM
I am not looking for a click I want to see if I can get a debate going. Have a look at THIS PICTURE .

1. Would you class this as action?

2. Would you submit this photograph?

3. If you are the sports editor of a newspaper would you use this photograph?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2007 11:39PM
My views are

1 Action yes

2 Submit No, because the expressions would add a lot more to the picture. Also I would darken/blur the spectator more.

3 See 2 above.

To be fair it is not my area of expertise or skill, so just my thoughts.
wotashot e2
11 2.2k
21 Jan 2007 11:40PM
1. Yes it is action.

2. No I wouldn't

3. IF i was a sports editor... No I dont think I would.

The points you mention are not obvious enough in the photo. If however this action led to a player breaking a leg then maybe it would get used. But then the shot of the player being stretchered off is more likely to make print.

j
Britman e2
8 1.7k England
21 Jan 2007 11:43PM
1. Yes
2. Yes to this site, but a magazine/paper then no (see answer 3)
3. Maybe, I'm not an editor so have no basis for this reason other then you can't see the players faces.
Frank_Reid e2
9 225 1 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2007 11:46PM
Strawman ... we are not allowed to alter the photograph in the way you say. All I can do is normal photposhop work. The rest is honestly not allowed, it is classed as cheating.
22 Jan 2007 1:21AM
1. Yes
2. No
3. No - The shot doesnt tell me anything about the match apart from a player is jumping with the keeper. It didnt look like a key moment during the match (ie goal, injury, sending off etc). Also i cant tell from the photo whos the real winner or loser...
Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2007 9:18AM
My sports Editor at Cornwall and Devon Media would not touch it Frank, a good action pic but you really need to see the players faces, backs of players usually don't sell ! I wouldn't send it in to any of my papers.

HTH Geoff
JohnHorne e2
10 1.0k
22 Jan 2007 9:25AM

Quote:I wouldn't send it in to any of my papers.

Geoff breathes a sigh of relief as he nobbles one more competitor and prepares to submit his own photo ...

Wink
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Jan 2007 9:26AM
No.......unless the editor wanted a shot of the keeper sutaining his injuries - then that's another matter.
;')
Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2007 9:29AM

Quote:Geoff breathes a sigh of relief as he nobbles one more competitor and prepares to submit his own photo

LOL John , but I think that Hartlepool is just a little out of my area !! Now Truro City or The Cornish Pirates , that's another thing........... Smile)))))
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2007 9:50AM
1 Yes
2 No
3 No - think for a paper you need faces
Frank_Reid e2
9 225 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2007 10:19AM
This is what I wanted people to say YEs or NO ....

Of course you know that I have said that I would never use a pic like this unless.....

Frank

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.