Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What is going on here?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2012 - 7:18 PM

Help please! My Canon 1Ds k 3 is producing images with a pale band down one side:-s5e4123.jpg

Only happens at high shutter speeds of over 1/800 sec., I've only just noticed this as I don't often use this camera body for action shots. Not visible at lower speeds. I presume a shutter problem? I'm sure it needs to go off to Canon but I'm off to Africa in a few days!

Any experience of this?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Aug 2012 - 7:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2012 - 7:33 PM

Where, Stevie? I can't see it.

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  3837 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Aug 2012 - 7:39 PM

Looks like the right-hand edge on the posted image. A shutter problem would seem to me to be the mostly likely cause. Looks like there's a slight bit of under exposure just to the left of it, too, unless my eyes are playing tricks.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 11 Aug 2012 - 7:41 PM
    Ian White
    Ian White  12177 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Aug 2012 - 8:02 PM

Had the same sort of problem with my nikon d 90 is the camera auto bracketing, just an idea

Ian

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2012 - 8:16 PM

Ah....I can see it now. Can't help though....Sad

Franticsmurf
    11 Aug 2012 - 8:22 PM

Could it be that the shutter is bouncing at the end of its movement, rebounding slightly and re-exposing a strip of the sensor?

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks guys. Fortunately I have another body for action shots on my Africa trip, the 1Ds should be just about OK for lanscape stuff and back-up as there is no time for repair now!

All_thumbs1
    12 Aug 2012 - 8:37 AM

My friend had the same problem and it got worse. Sensor problem so now he could only use it on long exposures or he would get the strip.

stevie
    12 Aug 2012 - 8:45 AM

Quote: My friend had the same problem and it got worse. Sensor problem so now he could only use it on long exposures or he would get the strip.

Oh dear me, that sounds expensive.....

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62505 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    12 Aug 2012 - 8:58 AM

It is very likely a shutter problem - the camera probably needs a service.
    Shutter operation detail first.
    The shutter works by moving across the short dimension of the frame, with the "shutter open" blade moving first and the "shutter closed" curtain moving second.
    At shutter speeds slower than about 1/400 the sensor is completely uncovered for part of the exposure time.
    At faster than about 1/400 exposure is via a slit between the 2 moving shutter blades, with the slit getting narrower as shutter speeds increase - to around only about 6% of the sensor height at 1/8000.
    The likely problem.
    This shutter seems to be "bouncing" either at start up or exposure end, and probably more bottom left in this picture than top left so that a narrow slit of the picture area is receiving extra exposure.
    At slower speeds the extra exposure effect is not significant compared to total exposure.
    By 1/800 with a travel time of about 1/400 and a slit width of about 50% the extra exposure is enough to be obvious.
    I hope this helps.

stevie
    12 Aug 2012 - 3:58 PM

Thanks Len

stevie
    22 Sep 2012 - 9:19 PM

Just a quick comment on a happy ending to this. The camera went off to H. Lehmann of Stoke (Canon CPS approved repairer) and in about 5 days came back with a new shutter fitted, free of charge! Also, the camera, which had been bouncing around recently in a Landrover in Africa (and was therefore absolutely filthy and covered in dust) received a thorough clean and looks like new! I also got a very polite phone call during the repair to explain the problem and reassure me they'd fix it as quickly as possible. All in all an excellent service!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.