Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What is Photo Month?

Advertisement

Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
11 May 2010 4:22PM
Actually announcing the following weeks themes at the start of the week as well is a good idea.

I always just read 'recent posts' on the forums so I often miss that day's theme as I don't go through each individual forum as I don't have the time.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DRicherby 6 269 725 United Kingdom
11 May 2010 4:26PM
Jestertheclown wrote:
> I think I've just turned this into a "Sticky topic".
>
> What does that mean?

It wasn't you. Smile A sticky topic is one that's always at the top of the topics list in the forum, even when there are no new posts. The status is set by the site admins.

Dave.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
14 May 2010 3:08PM
Well into the third month now and I have to say that whilst I have not been able to participate much in terms of going out taking photos I am enjoying looking and reading everyone's uploads.

But, the big PLUS, for me is that I am reading many excellent, well written articles, both on technique & equipment which would have been buried away in the "Articles" section of the site.

So, congratulations to Nikita / Will for the concept of PHOTOmonth and to ALL the contributors for their excellent articles Smile
5 Jul 2010 5:44PM
Hi! as a free member, should I wish to contribute, do I just tag shot 'PHOTOmonth' , or what ? Wink
Eviscera e2
8 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2010 6:30PM
Hi Pontepineaple ,

As a free member I dont think you can upload images directly to the daily themes.

You can create a link to your image that relates to the theme to your own gallery , but thats also a nightmare if you dont know how to create links.

I think the team are considering allowing anyone (paid or not) to be able to join in the fun , but I might be wrong. Smile

Dave
nik111 e2
6 2.1k United Kingdom
6 Jul 2010 10:26AM

Quote:So, congratulations to Nikita / Will for the concept of PHOTOmonth and to ALL the contributors for their excellent articles Smile

Thanks for this! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Quote:Actually announcing the following weeks themes at the start of the week as well is a good idea.
I'll mention this to Will again and see if it's something we can include.

Quote: Hi! as a free member, should I wish to contribute, do I just tag shot 'PHOTOmonth' , or what ?

Hello, as you're not an e2 member you can not post images in the forum however, you can post them in the gallery and link to it from the daily posts for everyone to see. I hope that helps and welcome to the site.

Nik.
12 Mar 2011 3:26AM

Quote:Certainly refreshes the parts that other `galleries' don't.

I'm glad you think this and I'm happy to hear it's making people think about ideas they may not have.

All we have at the moment is the where & when (at best) what we are lacking is the how and why I just feel it should be the primary reason (perhaps even complusary) to include this if contributing an image to these threads

It's a good suggestion, knowing how and why someone took a photograph is always interesting and useful to know.

knowing why someone took a picture is really a necessity if you're even thinking of critiquing it. If someone has a macro shot, then someone can't be criticizing it because the whole thing isn't showing. I have had pictures with information that clearly gave the objective of a picture focusing in on some detail of a subject and had a negative review from someone that didn't like that the whole subject wasn't showing. We always need to know the objective of a photo to really judge it properly. We may have some good ideas that could make another picture like it better, but that is for our imagination and we can tell them to try something like that in the future also if they have a chance.
strokebloke 6 481 16 England
18 May 2011 6:39PM
Ok, now I understand WHAT Photo Month is, can someone please tell me how I upload an image onto a particular 'day-page' of Photo Month? Smile
Say, Costal Landscapes for the 18th May
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
18 May 2011 6:41PM
Go to the page for 18th May. If you look at the 'Comment Box' you will see a row of icons - the 'Upload An Image' is the 6th icon along. Smile
strokebloke 6 481 16 England
18 May 2011 6:47PM
Thanks Karen - just found it & done it Grin
For the 17th - Reflections

sorry for the silly enquiry
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
18 May 2011 7:03PM
Not silly at all! Glad to be of help! Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
5 Jun 2011 4:17PM
We are told that Photo Month ties up significant EPZ Team resource. It has been going since March 2010.

It seems to me that few people actually participate any more (I do occasionally). Also the subjects seem to be more and more contrived... hardly surprising, as it must be difficult to come up with something "different" every time.

Does anyone feel Photo Month has run its course and, just maybe, the Team's time could be better spent on more useful/pressing issues?
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
5 Jun 2011 4:21PM

Quote:Does anyone feel Photo Month has run its course and, just maybe, the Team's time could be better spent on more useful/pressing issues?

I think you might just have a point CB.

Like yourself, I look at it each day and occasionally upload something but I do struggle to take or find appropriate images most of the time.

Jester.
AshTree 5 1.7k 6 England
27 Jun 2011 10:58AM

Quote:Does anyone feel Photo Month has run its course and, just maybe, the Team's time could be better spent on more useful/pressing issues?

Yes, I would agree with that. I think it's unrealistic to expect to come up with a new theme and article giving tips etc every day. Also the "weekly winners" idea seems to have gone by the board - understandably, as I can imagine it does take up a lot of staff time.

What would perhaps be more achievable would be one theme per week - and if there was a bit more interaction between the contributors, some feedback maybe, it might feel a bit more worthwhile. At the moment if I upload an image I feel like I'm just throwing it into a black hole, never to be seen again Wink.... which is why I rarely upload, tbh!

Theresa
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Jun 2011 1:27PM

Quote:At the moment if I upload an image I feel like I'm just throwing it into a black hole

Yes. I do participate but it would be nice to have some feedback etc, perhaps led by the EPZ team who, after all, are putting this out there.

At the moment it all looks a tad pointless. Perhaps it is increasing trafffic to the site, but I do wonder about that as well.

Perhaps the staff team will comment. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.