Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Advertisement

What is Photo Month?

Forums > Photo Month Forum > What is Photo Month?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2011 - 1:36 PM

The concept is still fine. A free technique article each day takes us out of the normal magazine league where A) you pay and B) you only get five or six per month. It's bringing visitors to the articles, they are being well read.
What's not working is the addition of providing inspiration for people by adding a daily forum activity.
We started by incentivising it (which shouldn't be necessary) and that didn't work.
Also we hoped member who got something put of it would put something back - as in add tips, ideas etc themselves. So much knowledge out there...but that's been slow too.
So it will continue for the foreseeable future in its current form, but it's up to the members to get involved if the want it to grow.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jun 2011 - 1:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2011 - 1:42 PM

I seem to recall Pete that one of the reasons given, as to why certain things cannot be done on the site, is that so much staff time is tied up with Photo Month (amongst other issues).

If Photo Month is not working as it should have done, would not that time be better spent on things that members actually want? Smile

nik111
nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6318 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 - 1:47 PM

Quote: What would perhaps be more achievable would be one theme per week - and if there was a bit more interaction between the contributors, some feedback maybe, it might feel a bit more worthwhile. At the moment if I upload an image I feel like I'm just throwing it into a black hole, never to be seen again Wink.... which is why I rarely upload, tbh!

As we are only a small team and it takes a lot of time to write articles and then design the pieces that go live (as well as do other things for the site) this is something that's hard to fit in sadly. If feedback is the key, would it just have to come from the team though? Couldn't it come from other members of the site? Other people who upload to the forum as well?

Quote: At the moment it all looks a tad pointless.

Are you talking about the posting a photo aspect or all of the feature? As before Photo Month was introduced, we were posting techniques/articles as we do now but we just weren't asking people to post images related to what was going live.

As we've always said, we are also open to ideas on how we can get more people involved so if you do have any please feel free to contact us.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2011 - 1:49 PM

Quote: If Photo Month is not working as it should have done

It is working, I said so above. The forum bit is an additional element to give something for members to do - motivation interactivity etc. That bit takes no time...well it did. Nik used to try and encourage people to get involved.

Last Modified By Pete at 27 Jun 2011 - 1:49 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2011 - 1:53 PM

Quote: As we've always said, we are also open to ideas on how we can get more people involved so if you do have any please feel free to contact us.

From my own experience as an admin on another site, I have found offering a prize is a good incentive! Wink

It doesn't have to be anything expensive.

AshTree
AshTree  41702 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2011 - 2:05 PM

Quote: If feedback is the key, would it just have to come from the team though? Couldn't it come from other members of the site? Other people who upload to the forum as well?

No not from the team - what I meant was it would be good to have interaction and feedback from the contributors - that includes me, so I'm not sitting back expecting others to do all the work, lol! The thing is, how do we get people motivated to do this? In the Reality group, e.g., people upload images (sadly, again, not enough people despite the apparently high membership) and then give feedback to each other. So if something along these lines could be encouraged I think people would enjoy participating more, feel less like a lone voice in the wilderness Wink

And I do appreciate the article writing and all the other peripheral stuff involved takes time. Believe me I think you're all doing a great job at EPZ Towers - it's us lot who aren't putting in the effort!!!!!

Quote: Also we hoped member who got something put of it would put something back - as in add tips, ideas etc themselves. So much knowledge out there...but that's been slow too.

Good point. I for one hadn't thought of that - we can all contribute and make this work. Hmmm, I'm just off to cut myself a large slice of humble pie Wink

Carabosse
27 Jun 2011 - 2:16 PM

It would certainly be good to have whoever wrote the article to give feedback.... not the only feedback, but it could galvanise Photo Month.

Is the problem that hardly anyone would look at these technique articles if it wasn't for Photo Month? I am guessing, based on what I do myself, that the public at large use Google to find out about techniques etc. EPZ is noticeable by its absence on the Google results pages for such searches!

Perhaps EPZ is known mainly for its forum and gallery rather than being a source of info on technique?

Pete
27 Jun 2011 - 2:21 PM

Quote: EPZ is noticeable by its absence on the Google results pages for such searches!

We do fairly well in Google. I just did three off the top of my head random searches
Depth of field (page 1 result)
How to photograph poppies (number 1)
using telephoto lenses (nowhere)
It depends what you look for. I think if you look at the title of the article and search elements of that you will find we do ok. Again it helps if members click the like (especially the new Google one) buttons. We depend on you for many aspects

Carabosse
27 Jun 2011 - 2:30 PM

It may be worth trying Googling certain Photoshop techniques and see how EPZ does. I must confess it would not occur to me to seek specific advice on poppies! Other than, maybe, how to grow them. Lol! Grin

As someone who long pressed for techniques to be updated, I'm pleased all these articles are being written, but Photo Month does look a bit forlorn.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014504 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2011 - 8:59 PM

How does a non E2 member go about uploading images to the forum. Could we have a straightforward explanation here please?

User_Removed
13 Aug 2011 - 9:07 PM

Try hovering your mouse between the hyperlink and YouTube buttons

StrayCat
13 Aug 2011 - 10:50 PM

Chris, does that button work for non-E2 members? I can't tell, of course.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014071 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2011 - 10:56 PM

Quote: Chris, does that button work for non-E2 members?

Yes

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 13 Aug 2011 - 10:56 PM
StrayCat
13 Aug 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thanks.

amylaphoto
20 Dec 2011 - 3:54 PM

December tips calender is a bliss!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.