Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What is Portrait Photography ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 1:19 AM

In a nut shell, a creative collaboration between the photographer and the sitter Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 May 2013 - 1:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DouglasMorley
16 May 2013 - 2:51 AM

Quite possibly though, given the sitter's circumstance I don't think that she would have been all that interested in anything other than the immediate needs of her children.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 3:01 AM

I don`t know, I have a fascination for the old style Alphonse Bertillon police mugshots, sure the sitter was hardly ever willing, but even so there is still a collaboration of sorts going on between the two, generating interesting portraits.

keithh
keithh  1022725 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 6:39 AM

Mention portraits and immediately the word 'studio' springs up......no reason that it should.

Paul Morgan
16 May 2013 - 4:48 PM

Quote: Mention portraits and immediately the word 'studio' springs up......no reason that it should.

http://scan.net.au/scan/journal/display.php?journal_id=67

Smile Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72116 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 5:08 PM

I think the association with studios comes from the term, 'sitting for a portrait'.
Would it be fair to say that in the UK, over the last 50years, that generally speaking, portraits have traditionally been taken in studio, and in a formal way?
My actual knowledge about this is limited, hence the question.

Paul Morgan
16 May 2013 - 5:19 PM

I think portraiture has always been studio based or location based.

My great grandfather was a street photographer in and around London, today the word street photographer has a totally different meaning.

I was looking at a site the other day that was showing hundreds of American civil war portraits, the vast majority were standing Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72116 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2013 - 5:27 PM

Care to elaborate Paul, on your the kind of street photography your great grandfather was doing - in contrast with the street photography of today?

Paul Morgan
16 May 2013 - 5:33 PM

He was a portrait photographer, a lot of his stuff included taking random street portraits, usually at popular tourist locations, you don`t see these any more.

These days street shooters call them selves street photographers but really there nothing of the sort, in fact many would tell you a street portrait is not even street photography.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2013 - 6:40 PM

where does strobist fit ?

kinda like studio lighting

but

outside....

arhb
17 May 2013 - 7:52 PM

Except you might be balancing ambient with flash rather than relying purely on flash.
It all adds up to more portrait possibilities.

Paul Morgan
17 May 2013 - 9:21 PM

Quote: where does strobist fit ?

kinda like studio lighting

but

outside....

Same place as everything else, strobist lighting is used both inside and outside, it might be a new word, but its not a new technique, it has been around since the days of flash powder.

ade_mcfade
17 May 2013 - 9:49 PM

studio = portrait
outside = lifestyle

strobist = ?

Paul Morgan
17 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

A portraits a portrait Smile

Strobist, its just a new fangled word for an old technique.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 17 May 2013 - 10:09 PM
ade_mcfade
17 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

apparently not.... cause if you do it outside, it's lifestyle?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.