Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What is Portrait Photography ?

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 May 2013 10:21PM
Yep a portrait Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

17 May 2013 10:42PM
This all boils down to semantics. Actually strobic refers to strobe which is simply a lamp. The Americans have given it their own interpretation which we all slavishly copy.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 May 2013 11:04PM
must categorise!!!!

Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 May 2013 11:19PM
Yeh if you like sugar coatings Smile
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
17 May 2013 11:34PM
lol @ outside = lifestyle
Ade's bored again Wink
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
18 May 2013 10:55AM
It is i suppose very much down to semantics , and i can see how outside inside street etc are still all portrait photography in a way. I do love the way that photographers categorize however , just yesterday we did a wedding and the usual guy with a big camera was rushing round firing randomly whilst we were working.

I did my usual and approached him to strike up a conversation and politely let him know to not interfere with our shots, he then harps up that he doesn't do 'weddings' and doesn't like doing 'people' he is a 'landscape' photographer with a sort of superior tone.

To which i applied that i too was a landscape photographer and when i preferred a more relaxed and less challenging day i would wander off with camera and tripod and do 'landscapes'- however for me landscapes dont pay the bills and weddings are much more of a test of me and my equipment , he looked bemused that a wedding tog was able to photography other subjects and questioned where i sold my work. 'Worldwide' was my reply. At this point having failed miserably to get a bite he disapeared into the bg for the rest of the day. Conversely another young lad who was shooting a Canon got talking to me and i helped him out with a few shots during the day and even gave him a second body to shoot the first dance in video for the B&G on the night.

Although i realize there are different skills involved in different types of photography i think sometimes its easy to pigeon hole and i admire those who excel in all forms of their art and even more so those that can excel in more than one area.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
18 May 2013 1:38PM

Quote:Lol @ outside = lifestyle
Ade's bored again Wink

god yeah... the site's not helping like it used to.... more bored in many ways Sad
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
18 May 2013 1:42PM
anyone fancy a pint in Leeds Wink
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
18 May 2013 2:31PM
Wish I was closer Ade, and I would join you.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
18 May 2013 4:31PM

Quote:Anyone fancy a pint in Leeds Wink

If your powers are such that you can physically move Leeds to Norway, more specifically 42km SW of Oslo, then I'll gladly join you...and even buy you a pint. (Shh, don't tell everyone...) On the condition than you put Leeds back where it belongs afterwards...the Vikings might object otherwise.

Malc

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.