Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What is the best angle at which to take different photographs?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

PhoenixRed
14 Aug 2012 - 11:52 AM

I really get confused sometimes about what angles i should take things at, then i lose the image because something happens like it moves or the light changes. sometimes i go mad and try to take alot of angle shots, but none of them seem right. Can anybody help me? anything will do

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Aug 2012 - 11:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 11:59 AM

There is no such thing as best angle, as every situation is different, and what you want to achieve varies.
You just have to try them out and see which works best.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014731 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 12:01 PM

From low down, pointing up - that the best angle

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
14 Aug 2012 - 12:25 PM

Quote: From low down, pointing up - that the best angle.

From the top of the Eiffel Tower?? Smile

Seriously, just decide on what you are trying to portray, and then take several versions, after all digital costs nothing as we are continually being told.

Change your distance from the subject and use different focal lengths to vary the size relationship between foreground and background, and also the DoF.

Last Modified By macroman at 14 Aug 2012 - 12:31 PM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 12:28 PM

for me animals, people portraits get to the same eye level, focus on the eyes, watch for distracting backgrounds.

Landscapes make sure they are level and have something of interest in the foreground to lead the eye in and up out of the image.

Learn rule of 3rds then break them.

Best of all look at other peoples images that you like study them to see where the light is coming from and what attracts you to it in the first place then go try it similar.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 14 Aug 2012 - 12:31 PM
macroman
14 Aug 2012 - 12:33 PM

Don't learn the 'rule of thirds' Sad it restricts creativity.

Last Modified By macroman at 14 Aug 2012 - 1:00 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014731 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 12:45 PM

The best angle is the right angle

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 12:53 PM

Quote: The best angle is the right angle

what about the left angle? Is it no good?

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 - 12:56 PM

Or maybe an obtuse angle?

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 1:08 PM

anything but direct on at 5 ft 8 in high. (although these may be acceptable in the London salon Grin )

seriously though, take a lower or higher than normal view height and try to get some depth by using perspective having a bit of a diagonal in the shot. show us some examples of what you are taking then it may be clearer to everyone what it is that is bothering you, different things work better on different subjects.

Phil

macroman
14 Aug 2012 - 1:15 PM

And don't be scared of converging verticals, despite what some expert critics say, they can be very effective.
Basically anything can work, it just depends on the subject matter and what you are trying to achieve.

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 2:01 PM

Genrally I have found the best angle to be the one which puts your subject somewhere in the frame - Like Ade says: "the right angle" Grin

Christographer_Hull

Why are we being all obtuse?

Coleslaw
14 Aug 2012 - 2:30 PM

Are we? Didn't notice that .Maybe a little SOH is required? Wink

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: Are we? Didn't notice that .Maybe a little SOH is required? Wink

He was having a joke Cole - your mastery of English is not quite complete Grin

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 14 Aug 2012 - 2:36 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.