Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What is the best angle at which to take different photographs?

14 Aug 2012 11:52AM
I really get confused sometimes about what angles i should take things at, then i lose the image because something happens like it moves or the light changes. sometimes i go mad and try to take alot of angle shots, but none of them seem right. Can anybody help me? anything will do

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Aug 2012 11:59AM
There is no such thing as best angle, as every situation is different, and what you want to achieve varies.
You just have to try them out and see which works best.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
14 Aug 2012 12:01PM
From low down, pointing up - that the best angle
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
14 Aug 2012 12:25PM

Quote:From low down, pointing up - that the best angle.

From the top of the Eiffel Tower?? Smile

Seriously, just decide on what you are trying to portray, and then take several versions, after all digital costs nothing as we are continually being told.

Change your distance from the subject and use different focal lengths to vary the size relationship between foreground and background, and also the DoF.
14 Aug 2012 12:28PM
for me animals, people portraits get to the same eye level, focus on the eyes, watch for distracting backgrounds.

Landscapes make sure they are level and have something of interest in the foreground to lead the eye in and up out of the image.

Learn rule of 3rds then break them.

Best of all look at other peoples images that you like study them to see where the light is coming from and what attracts you to it in the first place then go try it similar.
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
14 Aug 2012 12:33PM
Don't learn the 'rule of thirds' Sad it restricts creativity.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
14 Aug 2012 12:45PM
The best angle is the right angle
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Aug 2012 12:53PM

Quote:The best angle is the right angle

what about the left angle? Is it no good?
rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 12:56PM
Or maybe an obtuse angle?
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 1:08PM
anything but direct on at 5 ft 8 in high. (although these may be acceptable in the London salon Grin )

seriously though, take a lower or higher than normal view height and try to get some depth by using perspective having a bit of a diagonal in the shot. show us some examples of what you are taking then it may be clearer to everyone what it is that is bothering you, different things work better on different subjects.

Phil
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
14 Aug 2012 1:15PM
And don't be scared of converging verticals, despite what some expert critics say, they can be very effective.
Basically anything can work, it just depends on the subject matter and what you are trying to achieve.
BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
14 Aug 2012 2:01PM
Genrally I have found the best angle to be the one which puts your subject somewhere in the frame - Like Ade says: "the right angle" Grin
Why are we being all obtuse?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Aug 2012 2:30PM
Are we? Didn't notice that .Maybe a little SOH is required? Wink

Quote:Are we? Didn't notice that .Maybe a little SOH is required? Wink

He was having a joke Cole - your mastery of English is not quite complete Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.