Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

what is the best lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rioba
    rioba  1
    29 Mar 2013 - 10:14 AM

HI, please can any of you olympus users help with a dilemma!
    I bought a e620 a couple of years ago with the kit lenses and I must admit I was not impressed with the picture quality
    of the results the lenses produced .
    so I have been looking at 3 new lenses first one was the 12-60mm swd, I know its alot of money but I have read reports about focusing problems and noise?
    second lens was the 14-54mm mk2 lens the mid range lens, I have read mix reviews about its much better and other reports its below average.
    third choice was the 11-22mm, this sounded ok but the only thing putting me of was the electronic focusing which I dont like,
    im ater a good lens that is used for landscape shots but does not have to be super wide and I prefer a nice manual feel when focusing when needed,
    please advise, I dont wont to spend alot and find no difference from my cheaper kit lenses.
    regards rob

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Mar 2013 - 10:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

minar1
    minar1  4 United Kingdom
    29 Mar 2013 - 1:54 PM

Get the 12-60mm great lens only thing i miss from olympus now using Nikon noise is camera fault not lens not used any of the other lenses but 12-60mm was excellent.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2013 - 7:14 PM

Better still get the 14-54 MK1 Original second hand, its a superb lens.

kodachrome
    31 Mar 2013 - 9:55 AM

Paul is right, the 14-54 Mk 1 out performs [optically] the Mk 2. It got a gold award from What Digital Camera magazine.

Read www.wrotniac tests on these lenses and Oly cameras, he rates the 12-60 highly but he says the 14-54 Mk 1 is a more consistant performer over its focul range than the 12-60, but says you probably wouldn't notice.
    90% of my photography is walking round with my 14-54 Mk 1 attached to a E-450.[the most underrated 4thirds camera they made]

Also read John Foster's reviews of Oly equipment.

Hope this helps
    Pete

kodachrome
    31 Mar 2013 - 10:25 AM

Sorry Rob

I should have said wrotniak.net.

Pete

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2013 - 2:36 PM

I could be wrong but I was thinking the MK11 was identical to the MK1 optically, they just improved its focusing speed with a new motor, not that the MK1 was ever slow.

MK1`s can be picked up pretty cheap now.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 31 Mar 2013 - 2:37 PM
    kodachrome
    1 Apr 2013 - 4:32 PM

Your right Paul, the MK 11 had an improved focussing speed, but according to one review I read, for some unknown reason the Mk1 had a slightly better optical performance, I think I read it in What Digital Camera lens tests. Of course I could be wrong also.

A lot of Olympus lenses are now starting to hit the second hand market as like it or not people are jumping ship to other brands. My local shop has a shelf full of used Oly lenses and bodies, but a couple of years ago they were often hard to come by.

Paul Morgan
    1 Apr 2013 - 4:41 PM

The reason why the shelves were always empty is that people, me included were reluctant to sell them Smile

It will be interesting when the new OMD or what ever it is hits the shelves, its going to support 4/3 lenses a whole lot better, these shelves will soon empty again.

Somehow I can see myself regretting selling my 35-100 Smile

I`ve only ever seen one bad or was it average 4/3 lens, an early 14-45.

rioba
    rioba  1
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:07 PM

Quote: Paul is right, the 14-54 Mk 1 out performs [optically] the Mk 2. It got a gold award from What Digital Camera magazine.

Read www.wrotniac tests on these lenses and Oly cameras, he rates the 12-60 highly but he says the 14-54 Mk 1 is a more consistant performer over its focul range than the 12-60, but says you probably wouldn't notice.
    90% of my photography is walking round with my 14-54 Mk 1 attached to a E-450.[the most underrated 4thirds camera they made]

Also read John Foster's reviews of Oly equipment.

Hope this helps
    Pete

hi pete, thanks for info, gets more confusing with all replys in getting, think the 12-60 might be the choice in the end
    regards rob

rioba
    rioba  1
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:10 PM

i like to thank everyones input over this,
    i think i will go for the 12-60 swd, just hope its worth the money and i will finally use me e620 at last i have had over 2 years
    regards rob

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.