Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What is the difference???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ultralite
    Ultralite  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2009 - 10:49 PM

Hi all, i have been looking at the Canon 5D Mk2 as a possible upgrade in the near future and happen to look at the Canon website and compare the 5D mk2 to the 1Ds Mk3 there seams very little diference in the technical specifications so was wondering what would be the actual physical advantage over the (seriously) higher priced D1 models??
    And before i hear the million voices of reason telling me to save my money and improve my pictures first . . that is exactly what i am planning to do. . . i was just trying to understand the differences!

Cheers
    Neil

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Jul 2009 - 10:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jul 2009 - 10:51 PM

Watertightness, better FPS (I think), to name a couple.

MattGrayson
    16 Jul 2009 - 5:23 PM

The EOS 5D MkII has the new DiG!C IV processor but the EOS 1Ds MkIII has 2x Mk III processors.
    Ten extra focus points on the 1Ds and 63 metering zones instead of 35 found on the 5D MkII.
    An extra stop exposure compensation but ISO is limited due to the age of the camera.100% fov in the viewfinder but the 5D MkII has better upgrades due to being younger such as a nicer screen and built in HD video with HDMI output.
    5D MkII is UDMA compatible but again I think it's an age thing. Doesn't look like many useful upgrades but when the EOS 1Ds MkIII inevitably gets replaced, it'll kick butt. Smile

Last Modified By MattGrayson at 16 Jul 2009 - 5:24 PM
    Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jul 2009 - 5:30 PM

There is no comparison in build quality (The 1DSiii being much better built and weatherproofed). You could probably hammer nails into planks with a 1DSiii (and it feels like a sledgehammer to carry about!)

Last Modified By Henchard at 16 Jul 2009 - 5:33 PM
    lumenessence
    4 Aug 2009 - 12:28 PM

Differences:
    - Amazing weather sealing in 1D series
    - Great AF and metering (pro-series is just way better)
    - Built in grip for vertical shooting on the pro series
    - With a 1Ds MkIII I wouldn't be worried about thrashing my camera, that's what they're built for!
    - On the top LCD screen you get a cool blue light on the 1Ds rather than the boring orange light in the 5D2, 50D etc

- 5D2 has HD vid capabillities, I know it's not important, but you can get amazing results with L-glass.
    - Not sure, but I think the LCD on the 5D2 is higher res (920K dots)

Similarities:
    - 21 MP Full frame
    - Digic 4 vs 2x Digic III ... very similar in performance considering the 5D2 pushes the same Hi-res files AND video processing.
    - Same size screen

Oh and ofcourse ... for the price of a 1Ds MkIII you can buy a 5D MkII AND 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS (with spare change ... but that's going by the rrp). At the end of the day, there's nothing like a pro body, but the 5D MkII gets close. If we include the money factor, the 5D looks to be better value.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.