Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

what is the difference between full blown photoshop and elements?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scartlane
    scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Feb 2012 - 1:20 PM

Other than the price,
    Theres a pretty good deal on at pcworld on ADOBE Photoshop Elements 10, Im messing about with trail version and bowwing my mates computer to edit some pics, i was thinkign of investing, but reading the blurb im struggling to see what the differences are,

does anyone have or know where i can find a difinitive list, prehaps its my lack of knowledge or tiredness i just cant get my head around it

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Feb 2012 - 1:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart
    andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Feb 2012 - 1:43 PM

this article might help, though it also includes lightroom in the mix..........................................

scartlane
    scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Feb 2012 - 2:01 PM

that did help, most of the stuff i dont really recognise,
    I guess the main things im asking are does it support the actions like in CS4 /CS5 (as ive done my own that i want to keep using) and does it support layers.
    from what i gather it seems to just wondering if anyone has any working knowlege

MrDennis
    MrDennis  5226 forum posts Wales
    22 Feb 2012 - 2:23 PM

Amazon have a Good price on the 10..Check it out.

mikehit
    mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2012 - 2:43 PM

Elements 10 supports layers and layer masks (introduced in v9).
    Several of the functions in Elements are very good but not quite as good as PS (for example, Content Aware Fill).
    You can import actions from PS to PSE, and although PSE does not have a command to create actions in PSE there is a workaround (goole 'PSE actions').
    You can't soft-proof in PSE.

Overall, the main difference in functionality is the PSE is intended as a photo editing programme whereas PS is an all-singing all-dancing graphics and desktop publishing package.

Dave_Canon
    22 Feb 2012 - 5:50 PM

I have Photoshop CS4 Ex, Lightroom 3 and Elements 10 but it would take a lot of time to list the differences many of which may be of little interest to you. I have Elements only for training purposes but use LR and PS CS4 myself. There are a number of features on PS that I would not wish to be without. I am sure that Elements 10 will meet the requirements of most amateur photographers but I want all the features and with a scientific background I am quite happy with the compexity. As I only use Raw files, over 80% of my editing uses Lightroom so Photoshop is becoming less important. You may be able to Google comparison reviews.

If you are fairly new to image editing, you will probably not outgrow Elements 10 for at least two years anyway so it is probably worth starting with Elements anyway.

Dave

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2012 - 6:06 PM

Quote: with a scientific background I am quite happy with the compexity.

What is a compexity? Is it a tool from adobe im missing out on?Tongue

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Feb 2012 - 9:52 PM

Quote: I have Photoshop CS4 Ex, Lightroom 3 and Elements 10 but it would take a lot of time to list the differences many of which may be of little interest to you. I have Elements only for training purposes but use LR and PS CS4 myself. There are a number of features on PS that I would not wish to be without. I am sure that Elements 10 will meet the requirements of most amateur photographers but I want all the features and with a scientific background I am quite happy with the compexity. As I only use Raw files, over 80% of my editing uses Lightroom so Photoshop is becoming less important. You may be able to Google comparison reviews.

If you are fairly new to image editing, you will probably not outgrow Elements 10 for at least two years anyway so it is probably worth starting with Elements anyway.

Dave

I use elements 9 after using CS2 and 4 and 5.... i couldnt see the point in spending 700 on the full version, when i could spend 70 (now 34.99) on elements. I dont miss any tools, except the actions, but as already said there is a work around for that.

I have been using elements for a couple of years, and wont be changing any time soon, and yes, i do use my version for paid work, and i am certainly not new to editing pictures, but elements does me fine.

Its all about what you want to do with the program that will determaine what version is right for you or not.... if you are a full time graphic designer or photo editor etc, then the full version would be for you, whereas if you are a full time photographer, that does some editing on their photos, then i rekon elements is the way to go.

Download the trial of each and see if the tools on elements are too few, or the full tool list on CS5 is too great, and theres your answer. Smile

Miles Herbert
    22 Feb 2012 - 11:30 PM

For those with Elements it's also worth having a look at Elements + which unlocks several odds and ends hidden in Elements ... such as "Curves" (the free demo will unlock curves).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.