Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What is the purpose of voting on shots?

tezquirk 3 27 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 1:47PM
And the Moral of the story is ... If you cant swim , Don't put your trunks on. SmileSmileSmile THE END ...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
14 Nov 2012 1:48PM
No problem Stephen.

I should have made it more plain in my earlier post.

An inkling . . . ? I dare say that you do!
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
14 Nov 2012 2:07PM

Quote:This thread is getting more response than I anticipated.

Yes, but nothing to the response you will get if you ask how much to charge for a wedding shoot.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Nov 2012 2:10PM
Which of course you shouldn't unless you have 79,000 worth of gear and have been a practising photographer for 57 years.
Wink
User_Removed 2 155 2 South Africa
14 Nov 2012 5:22PM

Quote:Is there anyone here who does not want to improve their photography? Hands up please...

Where's the hands up smiley? I have no desire to improve my photography. At my age I have simply reached a level that must be it. I might try different techniques etc but otherwise....hands up.

See I knew that a. photographers think visually and b. we needed more smileys Smile Smile
14 Nov 2012 5:42PM

Yes, but nothing to the response you will get if you ask how much to charge for a wedding shoot.

And another thing...

How much should I charge for a wedding shoot?
14 Nov 2012 5:43PM

Quote:Which of course you shouldn't unless you have 79,000 worth of gear and have been a practising photographer for 57 years.
Wink

And you have one of those blue blazers with the funny brass cuff buttons, and your thinning hair is swept across your bald pate, and...
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
14 Nov 2012 6:09PM

And another thing...

How much should I charge for a wedding shoot?

A chap called Lucian will help you out if you stick around long enough...

Smile
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2012 8:46PM
Oh I read the first page, went to the last and thought I had gone to another site! To address the OP's original question then; I by my own admittance are/am just a bumbling amateur, that has a basic DSLR and a few lenses. However .... I try and try and try to find an image I have taken that gets at least enough votes or likes to make me smile and feel darned chuffed with myself. I'm retired and it is a hobby, doesn't mean I am any less passionate than someone who considers Photoshop a breeze and enjoys taking pickies with their great kit ... I wishSmile

So as long as 'we' don't take the voting thing too seriously, and enjoy what we do, be it a business a professional or amateur, or lesser, and share an image or three with a DESCRIPTION, and we get just ONE person to vote it makes that day a good one. Two votes and yee-har, three, oh rock n roll, four or more, heaven is missing an angel, five and more? Seemples. Churchill dog says "OH YES!"

My thoughts then on the OP's original questionSmile
p12owe e2
2 101 2 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 11:56AM
An opinion from a very new member on the voting system....

Yes it is bound to have a few drawbacks, most of which have already been mentioned here, but overall it adds far more to the site than it takes away. I am very pleasantly surprised at the recognition my own images have received, without any "friends to vote for me", so clearly many people are voting for what they like without agenda.

It is very hard to reach the first award at 30 votes simply because of the sheer volume of images being added and the speed that your image slides off the first page. This does not mean they are poor images. Maybe this problem could be alleviated by a thumbnail size choice to allow more to be viewed at a time, or maybe a gallery filter for say, ten votes and above to weed out a lot of the less impressive images.

This said, warts and all, the voting is fun, so please don't knock it!
HPalin 6 30 Finland
7 Dec 2012 12:41PM

Quote:
The only suggestion I can make is to make all posted gallery shots anonymous for the first 24 hours after posting, without any ability to see who posted it. Is that possible?

I'm a member of one forum (not english) that is just like that and it's working nicely. You can get objective feedback if you want to. Above all when you're not telling your friends when you have uploaded a new one.
LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 2:43PM
Just my personal thoughts on this,
isn't Time, the ultimate vote on a photograph ?
Its good that people support a photographers efforts initially, its very valuable encouragement,
as far as i know, no one has ever climbed up to receive great photographic accolades, solely on the basis of what their friends said about them.

Votes, comments, criticism, are the sugar that provides the energy to keep going, and too much can make you out right sick, but not enough and you will pass right out.
Photography is about reaction, the art of photography is learning how to control it, after that its best to accept that some viewers have not yet learned or even understood how to control their own.
Open up to votes and comments they are an opportunity to learn more about your own reactions than you think, because that is what you are hiding from when its switched off. it is fear of the viewers reaction.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
7 Dec 2012 3:07PM

Quote:Open up to votes and comments they are an opportunity to learn more about your own reactions than you think, because that is what you are hiding from when its switched off. it is fear of the viewers reaction.

However much psychology you apply, I don't have votes switched off because I'm frightened of people's reactions. I have them switched off because the reciprocal vote-for-me-and-I'll-vote-for-you brigade have pretty much removed any value or merit that votes might have once had.
It's possible, on here, to get tens or dozens of votes on an image that's, let's say, mediocre, to put it politely, just because you blindly vote for the same people's images that always blindly vote for yours.
Comments, on the other hand can have some benefit. Not the 'cracking light, nice one' remarks but many people will post something genuinely constructive or helpful.
That's where the critique gallery comes into it's own.
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 3:33PM

Quote:maybe a gallery filter for say, ten votes and above to weed out a lot of the less impressive images.

That would assume that only good shots get over 10 votes. There are some extremely good images on here, where the subject matter might not be popular that don't get into double figures with votes, but some images with a popular subject that might be mediocre that regularly receive over 30.
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 4:06PM
Oh Lordy I'm so darned naive, I'd not considered for one moment what Jester has just said about the 'you vote for me I'll vote for you.' That is a shame really. I've been getting between three and ten votes per image and thought well, great; at least a few peeps liked it because they voted for my image. Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.