Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What is the purpose of voting on shots?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown

In your case Mike, since you aren't involved with voting for other people's images, regardless of their quality but simply because they were uploaded by those people, then it's probably fair to say that any votes that you're receiving are genuine indicators of someone's appreciation of your work.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Dec 2012 - 4:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 4:45 PM

Phew, I'll keep it that way if I can. My target is 20, as I managed a 17 last year for a Robin shot. I do enjoy the voting; as said earlier it is good fun.

Jestertheclown

I had a Robin shot way back in the days when I allowed voting, which did very well, as did a comical composite of a giraffe.
You can't see either now, unless you visit my website because I've cleared out my pf. but there's a school of thought to which I tend to subscribe that says that genuine votes these days, have become harder to accumulate.

p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 5:20 PM

Quote: maybe a gallery filter for say, ten votes and above to weed out a lot of the less impressive images.

That would assume that only good shots get over 10 votes. There are some extremely good images on here, where the subject matter might not be popular that don't get into double figures with votes, but some images with a popular subject that might be mediocre that regularly receive over 30.

I perhaps did not word that as well as I should. What I meant was that most good images will reach a certain number of votes, but will stall at around 8-12 votes simply because they fall off the radar too quickly. I would let people far more knowledgeable than I decide a fair figure. I simply suggest (at the risk of upsetting someone again) that some images are never going to attract wide acclaim and should be allowed to slip quietly away, whereas some others may be deserving of slightly longer recognition than they currently get.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 6:40 PM

I'd still say that everyone's image, regardless of what we feel about the quality or subject, should be able to have equal viewing in the main gallery, who is to have the say as to what stays and what goes? I think (well know probably), that it would cause a lot of unpleasantness & you'd have members leaving or giving up because they think they were not worthy of their shots being in the gallery. Getting people looking at, commenting and critiquing these images is the route to improving ones photography.
If you want to look at a curated website gallery, where only shots judged worthy to be in the gallery, you could have a look at 1x, which can be good for inspiration. Also on this site, take a look at the EC, HC and GE award galleries.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 8:44 PM

Quote: Open up to votes and comments they are an opportunity to learn more about your own reactions than you think, because that is what you are hiding from when its switched off. it is fear of the viewers reaction.
However much psychology you apply, I don't have votes switched off because I'm frightened of people's reactions. I have them switched off because the reciprocal vote-for-me-and-I'll-vote-for-you brigade have pretty much removed any value or merit that votes might have once had.
It's possible, on here, to get tens or dozens of votes on an image that's, let's say, mediocre, to put it politely, just because you blindly vote for the same people's images that always blindly vote for yours.
Comments, on the other hand can have some benefit. Not the 'cracking light, nice one' remarks but many people will post something genuinely constructive or helpful.
That's where the critique gallery comes into it's own.

Okay, but You don't seem to have anything in the critiques gallery ? and only two images in your Portfolio ?
so its difficult for me to make my mind up as to why you are so keen to dismiss the usefulness of the whole voting system ?
And why you would champion the critique Gallery ? when you don't now seem to use it ?

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 8:53 PM

YAWN

Jestertheclown

I recently cleared out my pf. and there's a very sound and valid reason why I no longer use the critique gallery which, unfortunately, I can't air on here.
Had you seen my pf. a week ago, you'd have found images from as long as four years ago, several of which had 'earned,' for want of a more suitable word, readers choice awards for getting in excess of thirty votes, one which had garnered about fifty four and another with about sixty four.
None of these awards were awarded because I was a part of a click clique. They all came by virtue of genuine votes from members who felt that they deserved them.
I began using the critique gallery exclusively about two years ago as the voting system had become so worthless that I decided to avoid it altogether. That meant avoiding the main gallery altogether.
The two images currently in my pf. will also be going in the very near future.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:20 PM

Quote: I recently cleared out my pf. and there's a very sound and valid reason why I no longer use the critique gallery which, unfortunately, I can't air on here.
Had you seen my pf. a week ago, you'd have found images from as long as four years ago, several of which had 'earned,' for want of a more suitable word, readers choice awards for getting in excess of thirty votes, one which had garnered about fifty four and another with about sixty four.
None of these awards were awarded because I was a part of a click clique. They all came by virtue of genuine votes from members who felt that they deserved them.
I began using the critique gallery exclusively about two years ago as the voting system had become so worthless that I decided to avoid it altogether. That meant avoiding the main gallery altogether.
The two images currently in my pf. will also be going in the very near future.

well, clearly stuff has gone on for you that I know nothing about, so I guess you are doing what it is you feel you need to do.
I am new here, and i know that forums of any subject have their disagreements etc, I just feel its such a shame your taking your work down.
when all is said and done we cannot live beyond the power of our opinions, but our photographs do.
All the best anyway, what ever you decided to do.
Kindest regards Liz.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:53 PM

Quote: I'd not considered for one moment what Jester has just said about the 'you vote for me I'll vote for you.'

That's just a generalisation. If, for example, you vote on my photo you will not get a vote back unless you post a really good photo. And there are many more like me. So I'll fly the flag for votes can be worthwhile!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:59 PM

I recently tried an experiment, gave up voting for a month.

I soon realised it was only me that was loosing out Smile

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81104 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 11:02 PM

What I find intriguing is this..

The o.p joined the site with great potential / versatility , expressed his valid opinions (particularly on some of the total dross click hoe images) got rebuffed for upsetting their sensitivities , volunteered as a Guest editor and then silenced himself. Its a bad loss of fresh air on the site.

Another of the forum contributors is now a "user removed" like steinbeck for whatever reason.

You cant keep sweeping this voting system under the carpet , its breeding more total amateurs whose only hope of recognition is to join/add connections and add inane comments. What used to be a quality view is day by day becoming overrun by kak .

Bren , get ya arse back in the cg be confident and stop being influenced by the likes of fm Smile

paulcookphotography

I dont vote as often as i'd perhaps like to (mainly because i dont always have the time to go through the galleries), but if something does catch my eye, regardless of the subject or style, then i will comment and vote on it.

During my stint as Guest Editor a few weeks back i was lucky to have the time to look at every image that was uploaded for the week. I got to see images from people i had never come across before, and people doing something different from their normal work. It also gave me a lot of inspiration and gave me a chance to see some locations that i may have never come across otherwise.

So whether people choose to vote or not, its always a good idea to take some time and see what others are doing - maybe asking for more info if need be - to see if it can in some way bring something new to your own photography. Basically thats why i vote. I have seen something that inspires me, or something that stands out from the rest for whatever reason and i would like to 'reward' the member for their effort.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315379 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 11:19 PM

I`ve only ever voted on pictures that I truly liked for one reason or another but when I banned myself, I found it very difficult to leave a comment without also leaving a vote, it got to the stage when I had to un ban myself Smile

If I like something, I`m not afraid to leave the often hated nice pic comment, its better than leaving the common banal unnecessary critique Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 11:28 PM

What I've noticed since I started on EPZ, I was on here every day for hours, looking at every image. I voted commented a lot, not because I was looking for reciprocation, but because I genuinely admired the work.

Now I spend a couple of hours a week, maximum - I still vote ( rarely more than a dozen images a week) and occasionally comment on the images that inspire me, but what inspired me, and what I looked upto 5 years ago in most cases is no longer the case - my tastes have changed, the bar has been raised for images that I feel worthy of a vote.

It's a shame if members no longer upload if they feel they don't get the recognition they deserve, but please just keep posting the images you like. I've mentioned before there are a number of continental contributors, that get nowhere near the recognition they deserve (IMHO), when I've mentioned it, the response is they should interact more. Such a shame they then don't upload and those of us who do appreciate their work are deprived, and end up searching them out "elsewhere".

What is great about this site is you can use it as you wish, and members are usually very helpful. Instead of getting uptight enjoy the images on here you like.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 7 Dec 2012 - 11:37 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.