Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

what is tonal range ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Francois Lepinay
    29 Nov 2009 - 10:39 AM

I am new to photography, and I dont understand what "tonal range" means". In that particulay editor choice awarded photo, could you possibly tell me what is the tonal range ?
    I want to understand, so I can get better.
    Thank you for your help.
    http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1423

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Nov 2009 - 10:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
    MikeA  91174 forum posts England
    29 Nov 2009 - 11:25 AM

Just Google:

Here is one for starters, hope it helps:

link

Francois Lepinay

yes , but what about picture : http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1423 . Has it got tonal range like yours have, as you seem to suggest ?

Last Modified By Francois Lepinay at 29 Nov 2009 - 4:57 PM
    NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2009 - 7:07 PM

just think of a full gradient from pure white to full black as being a full tonal range.

sometimes the tonal range displayed in an image is just dull grey to black this is a limited tonal range.

if you have well balanced mono conversion from white to black you will have a full range of tones.

sometimes you will have a high contrast image which is white to black with very little grey tones.

its generally understood that a good mono print will contain a full range of tones. although this is not always the case or possible due to the lighting conditions.

when processing, check the histograph and look at the curve of the graph, if the spread of the graph is a nice curve reaching right up to the pointers each end you will be all right, if its all bunched up at one end you will not have a full range of tone.

there are many ways of doing the conversion but using the channel mixer is the most reliable.
    phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 29 Nov 2009 - 7:09 PM
    ripleysalien
    30 Nov 2009 - 10:22 AM

That image does have a tonal range yes, but in my view I would call it a limited tonal range.
    All images have a tonal range, but you can go on forever with descriptions for them, muted tonal range, limited, compressed, etc etc.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.