Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What is wrong with Pentax?

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2007 3:34PM
I have been browsing the net for 40D prices, and it is often priced just below a Nikon D200 at 750 to 800. Whilst browsing I stumbled across the Pentax K10D, a well specified, fairly well made camera not far off the same spec, 450. 450 !!!!

Now it is the same age as the Nikon and looks to use the same sensor etc and perhaps it is a bit slower, but not 300 worth. And it throws in body IS. Again perhaps not as good as in-lens IS, but it must make it at least equal value.

It is priced at whole class below. Why? Is it a lack of sales, because at that price all those people going in the buy Canon 400D's and nikon D40/D80's ought to be rushing towards it.

I mean Pentax has a decent name and history. There is a big range of lenses and good support from the independent's like sigma.

What gives? If I did not have a couple of decent lenses I would be pondering hard on getting one.

Come back Ben all is forgiven Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
25 Sep 2007 3:48PM
If i didn't already have Nikon fit lenses i would certainly consider the Pentax.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
25 Sep 2007 3:52PM

Quote:fairly well made camera

I think you'll find well made. Arguably not quite up to D200 standards, but not far off.
Pentax have a big job to do to gain market share. This camera has gained excellent ground for them. It's winning awards too.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2007 3:57PM

Quote:What is wrong with Pentax?

Pete uses one....could you cope with the stigma if someone mistook you for Mr Bargh?
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
25 Sep 2007 4:00PM
Got to agree, well made and well spec'd!

Quote:I would be pondering hard on getting one

That is why it is priced where it is! Wink

Ian
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Sep 2007 4:01PM
No different from 20-odd years ago IMHO.... should I go with the Pentax'LX' or the Olympus OM4 - or the T90. What about the Nikon F3? Oh... and the Canon equivalent even?

Couldn't afford the Nikon or the Canon at the time - ended up with a pair of LX's (albeit secondhand).

Today, it's the same situation - again IMHO. Pentax were always 'up there' and still remain so. I settled on Nikon for other reasons but Pentax was certainly on my short list...
Badger 12 4.7k 20 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2007 4:02PM

Quote:Quote:What is wrong with Pentax?Pete uses one....could you cope with the stigma if someone mistook you for Mr Bargh?

I reckon your P45 could be in the post already after that comment Chris... Wink
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2007 4:02PM

Quote:could you cope with the stigma if someone mistook you for Mr Bargh?

Ah so I get it. People do not buy Nikon for a fear of beards and sandals, and Pentax for a fear of hair loss. Smile

But to be serious with the point Pete made, the K10D felt as solid as a 40D for example, but not as solid as a 1 series. So my view was the Pentax looked no less robust than the offering from Canon.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
25 Sep 2007 4:07PM
The Pentax is much close in build to the D200 than the Nikon 40D.

Shut up about hair...grrrr Wink
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
25 Sep 2007 6:41PM
What hair??? Wink
Barbaraj 7 450 England
25 Sep 2007 7:08PM
Well I bought a Pentax K 100D and am well pleased with it. I just have to learn more about it. I posted this after Pete's last comment and the computer tells me it is 19 -05 !
Thincat 7 616
26 Sep 2007 2:56PM

Quote:I have been browsing the net for 40D prices, and it is often priced just below a Nikon D200 at 750 to 800. Whilst browsing I stumbled across the Pentax K10D, a well specified, fairly well made camera not far off the same spec, 450. 450 !!!!

Now it is the same age as the Nikon and looks to use the same sensor etc and perhaps it is a bit slower, but not 300 worth. And it throws in body IS. Again perhaps not as good as in-lens IS, but it must make it at least equal value.

I agree. It's great value and it's surprising the sales are so bad. From my point of view I wouldn't consider Pentax because the lens selection is very limited, but I doubt if that's the reason they don't sell. It's just the power of the brand name - Canon and Nikon have the market sewn up, so why go against the flow.

It'll be interesting to see how Sony get on, now that they have a reasonable lens selection and a couple of good cameras. I think they'll find it harder than they anticipate. It's also entirely possible that Sony will sell their new 12Mp sensor to Pentax, so Pentax might end up with a D300 contender at half-price. But it still probably won't sell. That's the power of branding.

BTW, I don't think that in-body IS is inferior to in-lens IS. Nobody has proved this yet - it's just conjecture. Also, I'll probably be getting a new Sony A700 early next year to replace my second-hand KM 5D, and all the lenses will get up-to-date IS - allegedly equivalent to 4 stops (for a stationary subject). You can't get that with in-lens IS. Replacing all your lenses is very expensive.
Barbaraj 7 450 England
26 Sep 2007 3:01PM
Could someone say what IS lens is please?
Thincat 7 616
26 Sep 2007 3:07PM

Quote:Could someone say what IS lens is please?

Image Stabilisation. All the manufacturers call it by a different name. Canon call it IS, Nikon call it VR (Vibration Reduction), KM call it AS (anti-Shake), Sony call it SSS (super steady shot) - can't remember what Pentax call it.

It basically means that slight movements of the camera are cancelled out by either (in the case of in-camera IS) an equivalent movement of the sensor or (in the case of in-lens IS) by the movement of a lens element - all very clever stuff controlled by tiny gyroscopes. You would never believe it could work, but it really does.
Barbaraj 7 450 England
26 Sep 2007 3:27PM
I can attest to image stabalisation in my photots with a Pentax. Thanks for the explanantion.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.