Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

What is your favourite photography book

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Keebsuk
Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 2:13 AM

I have quite a large collection of books relating to photography but am always looking to expand. To help me could you tell me which is your favourite/most read book?

Currently I am reading "Finding The Picture" by Phil Malpas and Clive Minnitt. It's an excellent book about composition and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks all.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Oct 2012 - 2:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H
Chris_H  101471 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 8:30 AM

My favourite is by Peter Watson called Light In The Landscape.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 8:55 AM

One of my current favourites (as i'm going through it now) is - "Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop (Voices That Matter) " By Scott Kelby.

But i was also strongly recommended
"Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop" by Martin Evening

and I assume this is the latest version on that - can anyone confirm?:
"Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC" by Martin Evening

Of course you might argue these are photoshop books and not photography books.
Well in that case -
"Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image-manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures" by Tom Ang
this is because it goes into more technical light detail than i've yet been able to comprehend and remember.

After that my fav photography books are often art books of beautiful painted landscapes and scenes with people so that i can develop the artistic side of photographic appreciation.

ikett
ikett e2 Member 3317 forum postsikett vcard England
12 Oct 2012 - 11:21 AM

One I like is An eye for a bird, by Eric Hosking his auto biog, amazing read.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM

I do not think I have a particular favourite photography book.

In fact, I cannot remember the last time I bought one, possibly circa 2000 and one of Charlie Waite's

I do have quite a collection of Heather Angel's books from back in the days when she used Hasselblad & Nikon film cameras.

One thing that is quite obvious looking back is how the quality of the paper / printing techniques of the books has improved.

They are all in a box in a cupboard now, perhaps I should get them out and take a browse through them !

bill777
bill777 e2 Member 11156 forum postsbill777 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 12:09 PM

I've found the Michael Freeman series of books - The Photographers Eye, The Photographers Mind and The Photographers Vision - to be excellent. They go beyond the normal, and sometimes over simplistic, explanations for what makes an image and provides a "full immersion" experience. Even a bit of photographic psychology into how colour, form and composition work with or against each other. Each is a very satisfying read.

For books of pure technique and digital image creation you can't really go wrong with books by Tom Ang, as mentioned above.

Bill

Keebsuk
Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 1:07 PM

I agree with Bill re the Michael Freeman books, they are excellent.

I find the Tom Ang books to be good but their layouts are really messy imho.

Another very good author is Ross Hoddinott. His books are well written and full of great tips.

Andy

User_Removed
12 Oct 2012 - 3:32 PM

Showing my age here - my favourite is still the Wallace Heaton Blue Book from 1965.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96101 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 3:38 PM

Quote: Wallace Heaton Blue Book from 1965.

I have a Wallace & Heaton Minitography and Cinetography First Impression April 1938

Oh, this one is red in colour

rvoller
rvoller  233 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 - 6:15 PM

My first book and my only book so far is First Light by Joe Cornish, it help me develop a three dimensional perspective for landscape photographySmile though would like to buy loads more probably Picture of Britain by David Dimbleby next

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214385 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 6:25 PM

I found this just superb Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-American-Snapshot-1888-1978/dp/0691133689

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 7:33 PM

The Lines of My Hand - Robert Frank
The Shipping Forecast - Mark Power

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
13 Oct 2012 - 12:11 AM

Shaped by War ... Don McCullin
Making of Landscape Photographs ... Charlie Waite
And all books by Joe Cornish, Colin Prior or David Noton.

The very worst yawn? "On Photography" by Susan Sontag...such a lot of pretentious twaddle.

Nick

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Oct 2012 - 4:34 AM

"It Ain't Just Birds" by Arthur Morris, on DVD. The pics are breathtaking.

Denny

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214385 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Oct 2012 - 1:56 AM

Not got it yet but its on my list Smile

Anders Petersen - SOHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHnYBTEJ4Y&feature=player_embedded#!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.