Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What ISO?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
28 Aug 2008 - 6:08 PM

Quote: I'd be interested to know what reason he gave.

I read somewhere that he uses 200ISO because (for his work Wink) the noise difference is non-discernible and you a one-stop gain in shutter speed without trying.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2008 - 6:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
28 Aug 2008 - 7:45 PM

Friends,

thank you all so much for all your replies, I've been out most of the afternoon. Smile

I haven't got the book to hand, but I believe one of Barrie's comments makes sense.

Frank.

User_Removed
28 Aug 2008 - 7:47 PM

Quote: I believe one of Barrie's comments makes sense.

There's a first (I thought I'd say it before anyone else did) Wink

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2008 - 7:53 PM

I've heard that from other wildlife pros as well including the likes of Mark hamblin. The thinking being that the quality difference between 100 and 200 is negligible.

However, the faster shutter enabled by ISO 200 being your default setting rather than having to change for that "spur of the moment" shot far outweighs any disadvantage.

samfurlong
29 Aug 2008 - 8:28 AM

Quote: Normally you go as low as you can with ISO in order to prevent noise

Not with digital cameras. As Barrie touched upon, digital camera sensors have a 'native' ISO which gives the best results. Anything else is just by increasing / decreasing the voltage in the photoreceptors on the chip to give the effect of an ISO change and at the extremes (the HI and LO settings) all it does is under/overexpose a frame and bring it back in software, so you could in theory, with careful photoshop work, achieve a better quality result manually.

The native ISO of the current crop of Canons is 200 ISO and I believe it's the same on the D3 but don't quote me on that.

For the record I leave my MKIII's on 400 as my standard setting, often using much higher, very rarely using any lower.

keith selmes
29 Aug 2008 - 10:15 AM

Interesting. I haven't noticed any real difference between 100 and 200 on a 5D, and began breaking the habit of lowest ISO, using whichever seems most convenient.
On my compact, lowest is still bestest, but I've never tried to use a special function to get even lower, for the reasons Sam has given.

justin c
justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2008 - 10:37 AM

Still on the same topic but regarding the very lowest iso setting. One thing I have noticed on the Canon 5D is that iso 50 appears to capture slightly more detail than iso 100 when pixel peeping at 100-400%. I thought perhaps I may have been mistaken, but I have done a few comparisons now, mainly of small detailed subjects using a Canon 100mm macro lens and the extra detail is certainly evident.
Of course this low iso setting works best for subjects/scenes that don't demand maximum dynamic range.
Be interesting to hear if anyone else has done some comparisons and found the same thing.

Last Modified By justin c at 29 Aug 2008 - 10:38 AM
BurntOut
BurntOut  7321 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2008 - 10:40 AM

Quote: Of course this low iso setting works best for subjects/scenes that don't demand maximum dynamic range.

Why's that, Justin?

justin c
29 Aug 2008 - 10:49 AM

Because iso 50 gives you a reduced dynamic range, so you may get clipped highlight and shadow detail if the scene contains too great a contrast range, whereas this may not be the case at higher iso settings.
I'll leave the technical explanation as to why this is the case, to those that could explain far better than I could.

Last Modified By justin c at 29 Aug 2008 - 10:50 AM
culturedcanvas
29 Aug 2008 - 10:54 AM

Thats kind of half right .. but you need to know why you are using the ISO 50 setting in the first place.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2008 - 10:57 AM

emmmm.......why do we use ISO50?

BurntOut
BurntOut  7321 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2008 - 10:57 AM

Sorry, meant why does iso 50 give a reduced dynamic range?

And, is the converse true: the higher the iso, the higher the dynamic range?

culturedcanvas
29 Aug 2008 - 11:05 AM

ISO 50 isnt the true sensitivity of the sensor. It's essentially software based ... it meters at ISO 100 and then makes adjustments in camera. This isnt as simple as metering at ISO 100 an then dragging the exposure back 1 stop though ...

Cole I can use an example from another thread this morning here. ISO 50 is there mainly as an additional tool Say for example im outside doing a portrait, and shooting in bright light, I want to get the shutter speed down to be able to use the flash at max sync speed to evenly expose the background.

At ISO 100 I might need 1/500 ... drop it to ISO 50 and I need 1/250 ... flash power adjusted to give the correct exposure and shot fired.

Thats one real world example of why you might use ISO 50.

Last Modified By culturedcanvas at 29 Aug 2008 - 11:05 AM
justin c
29 Aug 2008 - 11:05 AM

I don't know the answer as to why it's reduced, sorry.

Regarding the second question I don't think the dynamic range increases at all, at least not from 100 and upwards.

EDIT: Dan replied whilst I was typing.

Last Modified By justin c at 29 Aug 2008 - 11:06 AM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ah, thanks again...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.