Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What made you take up photography?

Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
17 Nov 2008 12:59PM
I donít venture into the forums very often, but I was sat here thinking Ö as you do what events or happenings bring people into photography?
For me it was during my teenage years spending many hours as a keen angler observing Kingfishers, badgers, foxes and the various waterfowl along with all the other prolific wildlife around the lakes and rivers of Kent. So what made you take up photography?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Nov 2008 1:04PM
too much clubbing at weekends - needed a diversion to ween me off all nighters in Back To Basics and the Glasshouse in Leeds Wink

the 300D did the trick
jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 1:07PM
Well, my grandad was a weekend warrior wedding tog - he drove a van round the borders through the week. My mum caught the bug from him, and I suppose I caught it from her, although it was my Dad who gave me my first 'proper' camera.

Strangely, I too was a van driver in my previous life as an employee but lost the use of my right arm due to a cerebral nerve palsy. This led to a year of enforced unemployment which certainly gives you plenty time to consider your (lack of) options........

When my arm made its unexpected recovery (thanks traditional Chinese medicine!!!) I immediately enrolled in a degree course to study fine art photography - I was starting again, so to speak and had nothing to lose. So I suppose my dead arm brought me back into the world of photography - I'd probably be driving a van round Aberdeen's industrial estates if that hadn't happened!
JamesBurns
6 1.3k 7
17 Nov 2008 1:10PM
The voices made me do it...
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 1:30PM
My dad made me do it Wink

In fairness, I'd also always liked sketching and painting. Then I got lazy.
spaceman e2
10 5.2k 3 Wales
17 Nov 2008 1:31PM
Boredom.
jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 1:32PM

Quote:My dad made me do it

Aye - I'd always wanted to be able to draw or paint, or just do anything remotely artistic, but I'm c**p at anything like that - cameras gave me a get out clause Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Nov 2008 1:37PM
I was a fanatical David Bowie follower and at that time memorabilia was not what it is today, so I wanted a camera that could take photos off television, some of my first pics were of Cracked Actor documentary on TV in 1974. I also photographed Charlie Brown's snoopy. If it hadn't have been for those interests I would probably have become a draughtsman.
Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
17 Nov 2008 1:40PM

Quote:My dad made me do it

Yes, I have always wanted to be able to draw or paint, other than straight lines or the house..!
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 2:13PM
frustrated watercolour painter,
children growing up,
recording family outings and then.----- i joined a camera club,
seeing for the first time, single shafts of light, backlit milkbottles, water drops on spiders webs, coloured shapes in buildings, leaves in gutters just about everything i had previously taken for granted, a lifetimes passion ensuing.
phil
jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 2:18PM

Quote:Strangely, I too was a van driver in my previous life as an employee but lost the use of my right arm due to a cerebral nerve palsy.

Sorry - just noticed this should have read radial not cerebral - though sometimes I think my brain is permanently asleep...
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 2:22PM
Originally photography was just a tool for my work - necessary but ultimately boring, taking forensic quality pictures of crystal growth, failure mechanisms etc. So, not a fun or interesting hobby.

Over the years I became a competent potter, crap watercolourist and oil painter so, when I retired I tried photography again and fell in love with its ability to show me things I never saw just looking with my two eyes.

I'm doomed now as I can't be without my daily fix of things photographic, particularly print making, I just love seeing a first print of a new image rolling out of my HP 9180

Oh well, could be "booze fags and wimmen" I suppose Smile
mjwman e2
6 28 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 2:22PM
As a kid I was fascinated by dad's Box Brownie which I then used on family holidays. I graduated up through a Kodak 44a, Agfa Silette, and Practica Nova. At School I was one of the first to do a CSE in Photography (grade 1 result) Based on this the careers adviser got me in to Kodak, and there I stayed for 37 years!
Terry L e2
11 580 5 England
17 Nov 2008 3:28PM
Some very interesting reasons, Pete good job you never became a draughtsman..!!

Brian I think beer, fags and wimmen are more expensive.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Nov 2008 3:31PM

Quote:Pete good job you never became a draughtsman..!!

Yes, I can't imagine there would have ever been an ePLANzine lol.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.