Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What made you take up photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10577 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 12:59 PM

I donít venture into the forums very often, but I was sat here thinking Ö as you do what events or happenings bring people into photography?
For me it was during my teenage years spending many hours as a keen angler observing Kingfishers, badgers, foxes and the various waterfowl along with all the other prolific wildlife around the lakes and rivers of Kent. So what made you take up photography?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Nov 2008 - 12:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 1:04 PM

too much clubbing at weekends - needed a diversion to ween me off all nighters in Back To Basics and the Glasshouse in Leeds Wink

the 300D did the trick

jimthistle73
17 Nov 2008 - 1:07 PM

Well, my grandad was a weekend warrior wedding tog - he drove a van round the borders through the week. My mum caught the bug from him, and I suppose I caught it from her, although it was my Dad who gave me my first 'proper' camera.

Strangely, I too was a van driver in my previous life as an employee but lost the use of my right arm due to a cerebral nerve palsy. This led to a year of enforced unemployment which certainly gives you plenty time to consider your (lack of) options........

When my arm made its unexpected recovery (thanks traditional Chinese medicine!!!) I immediately enrolled in a degree course to study fine art photography - I was starting again, so to speak and had nothing to lose. So I suppose my dead arm brought me back into the world of photography - I'd probably be driving a van round Aberdeen's industrial estates if that hadn't happened!

JamesBurns
17 Nov 2008 - 1:10 PM

The voices made me do it...

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 1:30 PM

My dad made me do it Wink

In fairness, I'd also always liked sketching and painting. Then I got lazy.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 1:31 PM

Boredom.

jimthistle73
17 Nov 2008 - 1:32 PM

Quote: My dad made me do it

Aye - I'd always wanted to be able to draw or paint, or just do anything remotely artistic, but I'm c**p at anything like that - cameras gave me a get out clause Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 1:37 PM

I was a fanatical David Bowie follower and at that time memorabilia was not what it is today, so I wanted a camera that could take photos off television, some of my first pics were of Cracked Actor documentary on TV in 1974. I also photographed Charlie Brown's snoopy. If it hadn't have been for those interests I would probably have become a draughtsman.

Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10577 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 1:40 PM

Quote: My dad made me do it

Yes, I have always wanted to be able to draw or paint, other than straight lines or the house..!

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 2:13 PM

frustrated watercolour painter,
children growing up,
recording family outings and then.----- i joined a camera club,
seeing for the first time, single shafts of light, backlit milkbottles, water drops on spiders webs, coloured shapes in buildings, leaves in gutters just about everything i had previously taken for granted, a lifetimes passion ensuing.
phil

jimthistle73
17 Nov 2008 - 2:18 PM

Quote: Strangely, I too was a van driver in my previous life as an employee but lost the use of my right arm due to a cerebral nerve palsy.

Sorry - just noticed this should have read radial not cerebral - though sometimes I think my brain is permanently asleep...

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 2:22 PM

Originally photography was just a tool for my work - necessary but ultimately boring, taking forensic quality pictures of crystal growth, failure mechanisms etc. So, not a fun or interesting hobby.

Over the years I became a competent potter, crap watercolourist and oil painter so, when I retired I tried photography again and fell in love with its ability to show me things I never saw just looking with my two eyes.

I'm doomed now as I can't be without my daily fix of things photographic, particularly print making, I just love seeing a first print of a new image rolling out of my HP 9180

Oh well, could be "booze fags and wimmen" I suppose Smile

mjwman
mjwman  528 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Nov 2008 - 2:22 PM

As a kid I was fascinated by dad's Box Brownie which I then used on family holidays. I graduated up through a Kodak 44a, Agfa Silette, and Practica Nova. At School I was one of the first to do a CSE in Photography (grade 1 result) Based on this the careers adviser got me in to Kodak, and there I stayed for 37 years!

Terry L
17 Nov 2008 - 3:28 PM

Some very interesting reasons, Pete good job you never became a draughtsman..!!

Brian I think beer, fags and wimmen are more expensive.

Last Modified By Terry L at 17 Nov 2008 - 3:29 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2008 - 3:31 PM

Quote: Pete good job you never became a draughtsman..!!

Yes, I can't imagine there would have ever been an ePLANzine lol.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.