Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What makes an award winning photo?

Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 8:43PM
When I first joined the site I would look at the HCs and ECs and think " I wish I could produce stuff to that quality". I didn't think I would but it was something to strive for even though it was just the editors idea of what a good photo (no offence Pete, you know what I mean). So here we are now 6 years later and yes I do pick up some awards. There are some who will say that all the award winning wildlife images are pretty 'samey'. Fur, feathers, you know what I mean. Once you've seen one kingfisher Wink Now I also like a nice landscape or seascape but I just don't have the eye for it myself. But I know the formula.....foreground interest (mmm maybe a rock), a good lead in (path, stream,ripples in the sand etc), perhaps a strong focal point and a nice sky. They are all pretty samey. Portraits, a head and shoulders, 2 eyes (sometimes 1), 2 ears (sometimes 1) a nose and a mouth. Good lighting. All pretty samey. Nudes....well once you've seen one pair Wink Now please don't think that I am being derogatory because I am most definitely not. I would love to do a cracking landscape but as I say I don't have an eye for it. And I know the effort the award winning photographers have gone to to get the shot. (You have an advantage over me though because landscapes are usually in the same place when you go back Wink ). Now go to the award galleries and you will see these images, there is no doubt a kingfisher and a Buachaille Etive Mor or a lonely tree etc etc. But what is it that separates these images from the ones that don't make it? Your thoughts please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Cephus 10 2.2k England
8 Oct 2012 8:52PM
Stand by, SadSad Here we go again! Tears before bedtime. SmileSmile
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 8:58PM
I hope not. I started this thread so that the people who say they will never get an HC or EC or are not one of the 5% can see that it isn't impossible at all!
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Oct 2012 8:58PM

Quote:When I first joined the site I would look at the HCs and ECs and think " I wish I could produce stuff to that quality". I didn't think I would but it was something to strive for even though it was just the editors idea of what a good photo (no offence Pete, you know what I mean).

So here we are now 6 years later and yes I do pick up some awards.

There are some who will say that all the award winning wildlife images are pretty 'samey'. Fur, feathers, you know what I mean. Once you've seen one kingfisher

Now I also like a nice landscape or seascape but I just don't have the eye for it myself. But I know the formula.....foreground interest (mmm maybe a rock), a good lead in (path, stream,ripples in the sand etc), perhaps a strong focal point and a nice sky.

They are all pretty samey.

Portraits, a head and shoulders, 2 eyes (sometimes 1), 2 ears (sometimes 1) a nose and a mouth. Good lighting. All pretty samey.

Nudes....well once you've seen one pair Now please don't think that I am being derogatory because I am most definitely not.

I would love to do a cracking landscape but as I say I don't have an eye for it.

And I know the effort the award winning photographers have gone to to get the shot. (You have an advantage over me though because landscapes are usually in the same place when you go back ).

Now go to the award galleries and you will see these images, there is no doubt a kingfisher and a Buachaille Etive Mor or a lonely tree etc etc.

But what is it that separates these images from the ones that don't make it? Your thoughts please.

My thoughts were that it was hard to read that block of text, so I split it up Wink
Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 9:00PM
Agreed Grin
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 9:05PM
It's the Editors Choice......Wink
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
8 Oct 2012 9:07PM

Quote:Now I also like a nice landscape or seascape but I just don't have the eye for it myself. But I know the formula.....foreground interest (mmm maybe a rock), a good lead in (path, stream,ripples in the sand etc), perhaps a strong focal point and a nice sky.

Or perhaps you don't….? Smile Smile

(I know, I know. Shameless self-promotion…. yadda, yadda. Tongue Wink )
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
8 Oct 2012 9:15PM
Here's why what I pick get's picked: Editor's Choice explained
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Oct 2012 9:18PM
Forget about the making.
You could get all the awards if you become Pete's whipping boy.... TongueWinkGrinSmile
(well, apparently that was what people called me behind my back anyway....LOL)
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 9:21PM
but you have always liked a good whipping....
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Oct 2012 9:22PM
Oh yusss...... please... Tongue
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 9:23PM
Totally agree with you Steve

Read your ethos before Pete and it is what it is - no gripes at this end
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
8 Oct 2012 9:35PM

Quote:well, apparently that was what people called me behind my back anyway

It really does sadden me when I hear this sort of thing...jealous and egotistical people have caused so many problems over the years for what should be a very simple and none political feature.

Similar thing happened a week or so ago when Nik and Emma featured one of our members in one of our top xxxx photographer articles. Apparently the person got an email from someone having a go at why they'd been featured.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 9:39PM
With macro and close-up, there are no conventions to get in the way.
Or abstracts like Joolsb linked to (niiiice...).
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Oct 2012 9:40PM
Hey Pete, no need to be. Well,
I am not anyway. I am wise enough these days to not take things to heart. I just laughed, and think it was pretty funny.
There are sadder things in life.Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.