Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What makes an award winning photo?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Now I also like a nice landscape or seascape but I just don't have the eye for it myself. But I know the formula.....foreground interest (mmm maybe a rock), a good lead in (path, stream,ripples in the sand etc), perhaps a strong focal point and a nice sky.

Or perhaps you don't….? Smile Smile

(I know, I know. Shameless self-promotion…. yadda, yadda. Tongue Wink )

Or the odd long exposure with or without a 10 stopper Tongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Oct 2012 - 10:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:34 PM

Quote: With macro and close-up, there are no conventions to get in the way.

I agree Mike. Many wildlife images are the same. You don't need FG interest or lead ins. The whole point is to make the bird, insect, fox etc the ONLY point of interest and to not have distractions in the image that can lead the eye to anything else. But it has to be technically very well done i.e. composition, sharp and well exposed. Having said that, you can come up with different wildlife images that include environment or atmosphere or are of a more arty nature but the basic rules still apply.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:41 PM

Quote: The whole point is to make the bird, insect, fox etc the ONLY point of interest

Most of the wildlife I give ECs to has very shallow depth of field to isolate the subject from the background resulting in a clean featureless background. And that's because we have many members who can do this extremely well...but occasionally we get a cracker through like this Curlew or this deer that includes more depth to give a strong image of the subject in its environment.

Last Modified By Pete at 8 Oct 2012 - 10:42 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72224 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:44 PM

I felt exactly the same as you Steve, when I first joined.
It was the wildlife images on epz that I liked the most - portraits/beauty/fashion just passed me by back then.

With regard to what makes a winning photo,
something I like about the Vs mode, is that very occasionally, 2 good, similarly matched images are displayed, but on closer inspection, one seems to stand out.

Also, when viewing in normal gallery mode, and again occasionally, an image stands out from the rest at thumbnail size, regardless of genre,
which always makes it worth a look at for closer inspection.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014713 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:53 PM

Quote: It really does sadden me when I hear this sort of thing...jealous and egotistical people have caused so many problems over the years for what should be a very simple and none political feature.

For once we agree.

Steve_S
8 Oct 2012 - 11:24 PM

Quote: The whole point is to make the bird, insect, fox etc the ONLY point of interest
Most of the wildlife I give ECs to has very shallow depth of field to isolate the subject from the background resulting in a clean featureless background. And that's because we have many members who can do this extremely well...but occasionally we get a cracker through like this Curlew or this deer that includes more depth to give a strong image of the subject in its environment.

Exactly my point Pete. There IS a formula for every genre but you can break the formula and still get an award. It doesn't mean that an out of focus, poorly exposed shot will get one though! By the way (if anyone thinks otherwise), I don't take my photos with the sole intention of getting an award from EPZ. I do what I do because I like it and like the finished product (because those sort of images inspired me at the beginning) and post it here. The fact that it meets Pete's criteria or that other people like it is purely coincidental. Sadly, many of those photographers who inspired me aren't here anymore Sad I wonder why? I'm certain that photographers of other genres do exactly the same thing. They have seen images they aspire to, have learned how to take them and manipulate them and go out and do it. Surely that is what the site is about.

Last Modified By Steve_S at 8 Oct 2012 - 11:29 PM
scottishphototours

The ones that win EC's have the X factor. Simples. Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 11:28 PM

Quote: The ones that win EC's have the X factor.

If you are comparing me with Louis Walsh I'm hitting the ban button Wink

Steve_S
8 Oct 2012 - 11:34 PM

With all these brown parcels floating around, the only thing you have in common with Louis is wealth Wink

cdm36
cdm36 e2 Member 10390 forum postscdm36 vcard England7 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 9:34 AM

With all these brown parcels floating around, the only thing you have in common with Louis is wealth Wink

Well apparently he put in another thread theres not enough in the envelopes, so he's getting greedy as well Wink...

As for a specific formula, best not to worry about it, take them for yourself, anyone else likes it or think its worthy of an award, it's a bonus, Smile

Pete
9 Oct 2012 - 9:52 AM

Quote: As for a specific formula, best not to worry about it, take them for yourself, anyone else likes it or think its worthy of an award, it's a bonus,

Sound advice

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote: As for a specific formula, best not to worry about it, take them for yourself, anyone else likes it or think its worthy of an award, it's a bonus, Smile

Well my latest HC fits that bill precisely.

It was nothing more than a family snapshot of my son when we were out for a walk/scoot in town. I was pleased with it, thought it would look good in mono and decided to upload it. I had no great hopes for it attracting loads of attention (same is true for any of the family shots I upload), but this remains the first place I tend to post any shot I am pleased with.

The award was both unexpected and much appreciated, but when I look at the picture the warm glow I feel is not because it has an award, but because it is a picture of my son that I will treasure for many years to come.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.