Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see next?

joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 10:27AM
If you could have any lens developed for Micro Four Thirds, what lens do you think is missing from the range, or what lens do you think would be best for the Micro Four Thirds system (Panasonic / Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras)...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 10:37AM
I'd like to see a 200mm f4 prime from Olympus (don't need the IS so hopefully it would be cheaper), failing that it would be good if the rumoured Panasonic 150f2.8 ever reached the market.

These together with, the again rumoured, Olympus 1.4x TC would be ideal for my uses
29 May 2014 10:39AM
Having bought into the system with a Lumix G3, not cheap at the time I might add, one of the frustrations I have is that the standard kit lens turns out to be somewhat mediocre. Being the most important part of the equipment, why don't manufacturers work on a really good quality standard kit lens? something that would get 5 stars in an Ephotozine review and at a reasonable price!!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 11:03AM
I think from 14mm to 300mm we have a good range of lenses as it is, with Panasonic for zooms and Olympus primes, so I would agree with Brian in wanting a 200mm f4. The 150mm f2.8 sounds excellent but I am sure the price will be equally impressive Sad

Quote:Having bought into the system with a Lumix G3, not cheap at the time I might add, one of the frustrations I have is that the standard kit lens turns out to be somewhat mediocre. Being the most important part of the equipment, why don't manufacturers work on a really good quality standard kit lens? something that would get 5 stars in an Ephotozine review and at a reasonable price!!

I would say the point of a 'standard kit lens' is to get you started while keeping the cost as low as possible so providing a top-notch quality would make the 'starter kit' prohibitively expensive. Once a body has been on the market a while there are plenty of package deals around.
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 11:13AM
The original 14-45mm Panasonic kit lens is a very good performer optically and can be picked up second hand for around 80 - it's a bit larger than the newer kit lenses, but optically very good, with a little bit more zoom.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
29 May 2014 11:18AM
On the point of kits lenses, from what I've read, they're getting better! I use my wife's GF6 with the standard 14-42 (Mark II version so slightly smaller in size than the original) and it gets pretty good write-ups and I can't fault it on general use. I've also read the new Oly 14-42 pancake is on a par with the Panny standard 14-42. Obviously to go one massive step beyond is the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 but that's out of reach financially for many of us so it would be nice to have something in between without clouding the options too much.

But what's missing from the range? A decent but cheaper wide angle zoom, or even some wide primes. Again based on price the Panasonic 7-14mm is about 850 brand new. If there was something like Sigma's 10-20 APS-C classic and about the same price, the 300 region, it would be a big hit with the M43 crowd I reckon...
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
29 May 2014 2:00PM
Perspective conrtol
sdb 7 110 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 2:54PM
I'd like to see Sigma produce some f/1.4/2/1.8 lenses designed for m4/3 rather than the current f/2.8 lens that were originally designed for APS sized sensors. The current Sigma's are great value for money and I'm sure that faster lenses would give the Olympus and Panasonic primes some competition.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
29 May 2014 3:50PM
I would like to see a few primes with in built leaf shutters that work in place of the focal plain shutter when fitted to a body.

And no, a useless electronic shutterless shutter would not do.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
29 May 2014 3:53PM
I'd like a Panasonic 150mm f2.8 and matched 1.4x converter.
Dixxipix 5 21 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 4:19PM
A 1.4 or 2x teleconverter
29 May 2014 5:57PM

Quote:A 1.4 or 2x teleconverter

Yes, both maybe. A 600mm f.5.6 equivalent would be excellent.

I didn't suggest a 2x because in the past (film) a 2x converter on a 300 2.8 lost a lot of contrast and definition and was a last resort whereas a 3oo with 1.4 times was acceptable.

But these new MFT lenses seem to have contrast and definition to spare and the hit of the converter might just bring them down from being stellar to being excellent.

Joshwa's probably in a better position to have an informed opinion on that. Any thoughts, Joshwa?
Coast e2
6 1.5k 292 United Kingdom
29 May 2014 6:08PM
Between Olympus and Panasonic it is pretty much covered with a great range of glass and particularly some decent wide aperture primes. It is at the extreme ends that choice is limited or non-existent.

I'd like to see more wide options (non-fisheye) to match the 16mm angle from my FF Canon to a good telephoto prime such as a 150mm f2 (300mm equivalent), 200mm f2.8 (400mm equivalent) or even a 300mm f4 (600mm equivalent). Coupled with a matched 1.4x TC these would be a great combination.

Looking forward to the promised 40-150mm f2.8 from Olympus although I guess it will come with a hefty price tag.

I have the new 14-42mm EZ kit lens with my OMD 10. The quality off this is excellent but not quite as sharp as either the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7 MkI that I have. I've just ordered the 45mm f1.8 Olympus lens and the 60mm macro is next on the shopping list.

Would like the 12mm f2 and potentially sell the 20mm lens and replace with the 25mm f1.8 but not sure on that as the IQ I get off the 20mm lens is phenomenally good. Anyone got a view on that?
29 May 2014 6:37PM

Quote:Looking forward to the promised 40-150mm f2.8 from Olympus although I guess it will come with a hefty price tag

The problem I have with such lenses is that I bought MFT equipment in order to cut weight and bulk so that I could walk, cycle and use public transport with a good range of equipment. From what i've seen of that lens and the 12-40mm, they are getting perilously close to negating the reasons I bought into MFT.

The Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 are about on the outer edges of what I consider acceptable. This is a personal thing, of course but, for example, I feel with the Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 that if that is what I have to do to get DoF effects like full frame, I might as well have stayed with FF. When I bought into MFT I knew the downside of it and accepted it. If I try to overcome those downsides, I end up back where I started.

Just my personal take. I'm delighted with all new lenses that appear and if they are not to my taste, no-one is forcing me to buy them.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
29 May 2014 6:53PM
I'd love a 5-12mm wide angle at a reasonable price. I don't understand the new m43 optical/sensor physics, but that's on my wish list and would be so useful. The Oly 60mm macro's my next buy though, when I can justify the purchase to my conscience.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.