Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What on earth happened???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nephila
    Nephila  2
    5 Mar 2012 - 4:01 PM

I have a Canon EOS 550D and was using a tamron Di VC USD 70-300mm lens for shooting rabbits or something like that. Anyways, the sun was setting and it was so pretty that I decided to take a few pictures of it and didn't think to change my lens. All went well until a few shots in my viewfinder went dark and AF points would not illuminate and, basically, my camera became pretty much unresponsive. Thinking that it was just the new lens I was using, I changed lenses and everything seemed to go back to normal. Thankfully my camera's been alright since but for a while I really thought my camare had died on me Sad Can anyone tell me what happened here?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Mar 2012 - 4:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82344 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Mar 2012 - 6:05 PM

Hate to ask the obvious - had live view activated?

Sounds like the mirror had closed for some reason - hence the dark viewfinder and the non responsive AF points (at least through the viewfinder). Are you sure you didn't accidentally activate the shutter on a long exposure? Did you try powering down and then rebooting before changing the lens?

Nephila
    Nephila  2
    5 Mar 2012 - 7:32 PM

Live view not activated as I don't like to shoot using live view on my dslr. Think I did try switchingit on and off but to no avail so then decided to change lenses thinking that it was something to do with the new lens that I'd just bought. Nothing like that has ever happned like that before and I can't seem to find an explanation in my canon instruction book. It probably sounds ridiculous but I was worried, because I'd been taking pictures of a sunset, I thought I'd burnt out my sensor or something, a bit like you do with your eyes if you look at the sun too long, was worried that I'd done permanent damage Sad

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Mar 2012 - 7:42 PM

Any error message came up?

Nephila
    Nephila  2
    6 Mar 2012 - 10:44 AM

No, no error message came up. and I didn't press the shutter button during a long exposure, I know this for sure as I don't ahve a tripod yet so no long exposures for me yet.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    6 Mar 2012 - 12:36 PM

Maybe the aperture stuck at the taking aperture?

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73370 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2012 - 12:51 PM

Was that a one-off event, or does it happen whenever you use that particular lens?
    Don't worry about burning out the sensor, that won't happen with sunset/sunrise shots.

rhol2
    rhol2 e2 Member 3307 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2012 - 3:11 PM

As noted above it sounds like a bad connection between the Tamron and camera,especially as you say it did not happen with your other lenses.

If possible it might be worth trying the lens on another body.

Nephila
    Nephila  2
    6 Mar 2012 - 9:58 PM

It's never happened again, thankfully and my camera and lens seem perfectly happy together now Smile I was just curious. But I have had error messages come up with that lens though, saying that the contact between camera and lens is dirty or something. But that's only happened about twice and I appreciate that such complicated equipment will screw up sometimes. Thank you for all your suggestions Smile

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Mar 2012 - 1:25 PM

If you are getting that error message then it's time to clean the contacts. For start just use a dry soft cloth and polish the contacts on the lens and the camera. If that doesn't work then try a little alcohol on the cloth.
    Alan

Nephila
    Nephila  2
    2 Apr 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi, was just passing through and thought that I'd mention that it was my lens being dodgy. It's been giving me even more problems and now it's in for repair for about 3-4 weeks Sad Am worried my lens might be a bit of a lemon, anyone have experience of having their lenses repaired, is it likely to go wrong again? I don't mean this question in a psychic kind of way, only that lens are pretty complex and am wondering if Tamron will have nay odea what's really going wrong :-(

chuckdee
    chuckdee  2
    6 Apr 2012 - 6:17 PM

I have a Tamron and i got the same error message. It's a problem with the lens, the contacts don't need to be cleaned like the error message states. I contacted Tamron and then fixed it for free.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.