Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What's in your lens collection, and why?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3188 forum postsannettep38 vcard France32 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 11:27 PM

Quote: ~~
To some extent photography is traditionally a middle aged and older mans hobby as often there is not much spare disposable income while the mortgage is large and children are at school - and wives like mine prefer shoes to cameras Grin
After 49 years in photography the good pictures I took with what I could afford at the time, kept safe, and now show to others, are the important ones.

SmileSmile
Funny I had all my partners moan.. What do you want another lens for? Why , don't you want a newer car? My land rovers are all worth less than my photo gear. But then I always sell more car parts then photos.
Shoes you can get at cheap @ tkmax in the men's department. But no nikkors.take a women's word for it

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Oct 2012 - 11:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 12:13 AM

Quote: To some extent photography is traditionally a middle aged and older mans hobby

Judging by EPZ membership, that may be a bit sexist - pretty sure the gender balance is about 50/50 on here. But hard to deny that it isn't generally a young person's thing (with notable exceptions) - unless you count camera phones! Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014921 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 4:54 AM

If you go by this forum, you may be right; mainly we're a covey of cool old guys and gals.Grin

Denny

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 10:54 AM

its a mixed bag for me with a fair few that i have picked up one way or another but i love to try different lenses and never realy get over hooked because i keep rotating them .
doing this makes you look at different subjects as different lenses suit different genres.
these all sit currently on a d300s

12-24 nikkor superb for landscape , great across its range but has a wierd type of distortion where on seascapes the horizon is level but the corners have a slight rad away at the edges.
aquired this when i had to photograph some work our company did for the hostry rebuild at Norwich cathedral and it was my payment.

17-55 Nikkor f2.8 just aquired this from a fellow epz member - thanks Len i think its going to be my favourite lens of all time. just seems sweet everywhere and is great for portraits and i was pleased on sunday doing misty landscapes too.

18-70 Nikkor must be one of the all time bargains made by Nikon. feels like pro glass with a medium quality build. build is considerably better than your average kit lens but nowhere close to the 17-55. image quality is very very good.

18-200 sigma os holiday and event lens, take one to cover everything. most of the range and in mid aperature range is surprisingly good. but a bit behind the 18-70.

28 mm AIS manual focus Nikkor. now we are talking real optics. this was made when Nikon only produced professional lenses and they were the envy of the world. this particular model had unlimited research funds made available to keep ahead of Canon who were pushing to take the pro market away from Nikon at that time. it is simply outstanding and i have never had anything better and its built like a lens should be and should feel with silk smooth focusing. it works in manual and av mode but you have to stop down and focus manually which is fine for landscape but can be cumbersome compared to modern auto focus when you have lost the knack of doing it manually.

50 mm ais nikkor f1.8 much the same story as above but to be honest not quite as sharp wide open. thats by comparison not saying its unsharp. i just find the very limited depth at 1.8 as frustrating as it can be creative to get things in focus so it may be more down to my misuse.

90mm tamron sp macro the least used and the one most likely to be up for sale. im sure its a great lens but i hate it with a vengence because i never get a good image from it. i need to spend more time with this one or we will be parting company. maybe macro isnt for me.

70-300 vr Nikkor. this turned out to be great surprise. the image quality is quite outstanding anywhere after stopping down just 1 stop and holding back slightly off the 300mm end. i use this a lot to isolate detail in landscapes. races, some events etc.

150-500 sigma os. oh to have the funds for a 500 prime but this is the most i guess ill get for the bird on a stick game and the occasional puffin hunt. no its not easy to use and despite the fact that i can get some really good results the focusing is a bit sluggy and the keep rate is not as high as i would like. damn frustrating when you get the frame right but its just short of focus or something. again i expect its me and we will stick with it for a while.

thats my story.
Phil

Cagey75
Cagey75  342 forum posts Ireland
26 Oct 2012 - 9:06 AM

It's been a long time saving, buying and selling, and some luck thrown in, to get me the gear I have now.

I like to only have 3-4 lenses at any one time. I find if I keep any more, they just don't get used enough. I've been through all sorts, from old minoltas when I shot Sony, to old manual vivitar zooms. Currently I have:

24-70 2.8
50mm 1.8G
105mm micro 2.8
70-200 VRII 2.8

That covers just about everything for my needs. I have a TC 1.7x for the 105 + 70-200 too, which gives some more options.

Johno450
Johno450  3 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 8:45 PM

DSLR Bodies
Canon 7D (crop frame) ... battery grip. Sports and action work...
Canon 5D Mk II (full frame) ... battery grip. Portraits... general work... landscapes and macro.

Lenses
Canon 50mm f1.4 Portraits and general work. Some macro with 1.25 extension tube.
Canon 24-70mm f2.8 Portraits, general work, model work, architecture, landscapes/seascapes. Some macro with 1.25 extension tube.
Canon 16-35mm f2.8 Landscapes/seascapes, some model work, architecture.
Canon 70-200mm IS II f2.8 General work, sports action, airshows etc. Often paired with either a 1.4x Mk III converter or 2x Mk III converter.
Canon 300mm IS II f2.8 Sports action and wildlife. Often paired with either a 1.4x Mk III converter or 2x Mk III converter.

SteveHunter
29 Oct 2012 - 10:22 AM

Camera Body
Canon EOS 60D

Lenses

Sigma 10 - 20. Landscape stuff
Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8. All round lens, planning to replace with a Canon 15 - 85.
Sigma 105 Macro. Macro stuff obviously.
Canon 70 - 300L. Wildlife mainly, but anything where I want extra length.

paulcookphotography

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 Fx
Nikon 12-24mm f/4
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 85mm f/1.4
Nikon 300mm f/2.8
Nikon TC-14E II tele-convertor

Nikon 1 10-30mm
Nikon 1 30-110mm

Sigma 18-200mm (for those times when you just need a 'one for all' on random walks)

Lensbaby Muse

Why? Um.... Well, erm... I started off in natural history photography and eventually moved into some studio work too, so i pretty much need to cover all the bases these days

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 29 Oct 2012 - 9:59 PM
karl
karl Site Moderator 11586 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Oct 2012 - 12:28 AM

Canon 18-55mm - The kit lens for the 300D! It does actually produce some okay images when you get everything right.
Canon 28-135 IS - First lens I bought. General walkabout lens (doesn't get used much now)
Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro - Macro Smile Very good lens to my eye, sharp, does the business.
Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS MKII - Do I really have to explain why? Smile Hardly comes off the camera these days.

User_Removed
30 Oct 2012 - 6:55 PM

Just about to purchase a Canon 135L for portraiture - a new area I'm moving into to try and supplement the weddings! Have to let my beloved 17-40 go to part fund it though - plus side I don't use it as much now. Would love a 10-22 eventually and when funds allow.

Professional
14 Nov 2012 - 9:29 PM

I can list my lenses, but it will be very difficult for me to tell why i got them for each lens, also i have different formats, so that may take pages too, but i will talk about some of what i have, for me i can add later when requested.

Canon DSLR lenses:

EF 50mm f1.8 and 1.4USM: i bought the first as it was cheap, but didn't like the design, so i bought the second as an upgrade mostly.

EF 24-70L: Was my first L, i was reading a lot about this lens, so i couldn't wait to get it, and it remains my favorite L zoom lens in my collection.

EF 24-105L: Bought it because i found a good deal price to get it new that time, only $1000 in my local area, if i bought it online with shipping it may exceed $1000 or will be closer, so i decided to get it locally and to stop the confusing between this and 24-70L.

EF 70-200 2.8IS: Ofcourse this lens is one essential lens for any photographer who is serious in photography, i use it for sports mostly and some portraits, it is one gnenral all around lens in addition to 24-70L. I bought also MarkII of this lens, so i put this version or Mark 1 for sale, MKII is sharper and nicer.

EF 16-35L: Wanted to have an ultra wide lens for landscapes and cityscape, so i bought this lens to replace my 10-22 for full frame cameras, happy with its results, and i consider it as essential lens as well in addition to 24-70 and 70-200, i call them the trinity of L zoom.

EF 300 2.8IS: This lens is my main lens for sports and sometimes long subjects such as moon/wildlife/birds...etc. It is one of my sharpest lenses of Canon.

EF 135 2L: bought it because i saw many images and samples out of this lens, blown away of its quality, and it was not so expensive, so i decided why not adding it to my collection.

EF 100 2.8macro: From its name, i wanted a lens for macro, i couldn't afford 180mm that time, and didn't want to get something shorter like 50mm macro, also i wasn't into macro too much to justify 65mm 5x lens, not sure if i should upgrade to IS version, but my medium format lenses including the macro killed that plan.

Those are most main lenses i use with Canon DSLRs, i have little more lenses, but i chose those now, if you want more i can do later, also i didn't talk about my digital medium format lenses yet, it is another post, i may post more if necessary.

Last Modified By Professional at 14 Nov 2012 - 9:31 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.