Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What's the best monitor

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Wide-eyed
    Wide-eyed  10 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jun 2009 - 4:55 PM

I'm about to buy an Apple Macbook pro which I want to hook up to a 24-inch monitor. I'm suspicious of the extreme high gloss, high contrast monitors. Has anybody any views on the best monitor for photographic use, bearing in mind I don't really want to spend any more than 400?

Cheers, GRAHAM

Last Modified By Wide-eyed at 5 Jun 2009 - 4:55 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jun 2009 - 4:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mouchachos
    5 Jun 2009 - 7:25 PM

limited options with that cash stash.. perhaps a mac 23"? I've never had any problems... other people I know industry based don't complain much either..

J

steveb
    steveb  9329 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jun 2009 - 7:53 PM

Sorry I've no suggestions other than I'm on a similar search. I'm looking to replace the CRT monitor on my Powermac G5 2.7 GHz DP. Re glossy display screens, some like them, some hate them. Personally I don't like them. Re the Apple 23" display mentioned in the post above, this has been discontinued along with the 22", the only 2 displays in Apples line up are the 30" (very nice but expensive, I was using one over the last few days, it was attached to a Mac Pro I was repairing) and the new 24". I can find a Dell matt screen 22" I like the look of, but it runs at the resolution you'd expect from a 20". I'm continuing to look around, and I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

STUARTHILL758
    5 Jun 2009 - 8:26 PM

look at overclockers.co.uk
    You're in : Home Monitors 24" LCD BenQ G2410HD 23.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor (9H.L08LB.QBE)
    BenQ G2410HD 23.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor (9H.L08LB.QBE)
    Click to Enlarge

Click image to enlarge

154.99 inc VAT
    134.77 ex VAT

10+ in stock

Stock Code: MO-030-BQ

Manufacturers Code: 9H.L08LB.QBE
    Average rating of 5.0http://www.overclockers.co.uk this from one of there emails they send out

steveb
    steveb  9329 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Jun 2009 - 1:46 PM

The more expensive of the 2 only has an active matrix panel, not suitable for photography. The display ideally needs a SIPS or at least an EIPS panel. All displays are not equal.

Quote: Look at overclockers.co.uk
    You're in : Home Monitors 24" LCD BenQ G2410HD 23.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor (9H.L08LB.QBE)

Last Modified By steveb at 7 Jun 2009 - 1:49 PM
    justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Jun 2009 - 2:10 PM

One monitor that gets an excellent review, particularly with regards to photographic use, is the HP 2475. I'm not sure what the current price is at the moment but it wouldn't be much over your budget, last time I looked.
    There is an excellent review HERE

Last Modified By justin c at 7 Jun 2009 - 2:11 PM
    AndyLeslie
    13 Jun 2009 - 3:45 PM

I've just bought a Samsung 2433BW - from Staples - it's now under 200 there, and it marks a significant increase in pixel acres available to me.

Certainly worth a look, IMHO.

scottishphototours

Quote: The more expensive of the 2 only has an active matrix panel, not suitable for photography. The display ideally needs a SIPS or at least an EIPS panel. All displays are not equal.

Quote:Look at overclockers.co.uk

Steve - you clearly have a great knowledge of the difference between the good and bad screens. Why not post something at length detailing the differences, positives/negatives etc ??

Andy.

User_Removed
    14 Jun 2009 - 10:23 PM

You will get an amazing panel at a 22" size for your budget.

Not so favourable for a 24".

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014749 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jun 2009 - 9:58 AM

If you're getting a cheaper monitor, get yourself a calibration device and use it frequently - I got a mid range 24" monitor and the "default" if about 1000000 miles away from the calibrated look.

Amazing how much warmer the default is

montechoro
    montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jun 2009 - 11:09 AM

This is the Editor's choice in Computer Shopper for 200 - they praise the image quality

IIyama Proline 24

Test Review

HTH

Last Modified By montechoro at 15 Jun 2009 - 11:12 AM
    GlennH
    GlennH  91896 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jun 2009 - 6:19 PM

Quote: This is the Editor's choice in Computer Shopper for 200 - they praise the image quality

HTH

The problem is that it uses a TN panel, which is less than ideal for photo editing. A TN panel delivers fast response times, which might be good for gamers and movie-buffs, but is less colour-accurate than the IPS panels that Steve has mentioned.

TN panels also have pretty poor viewing angles, which again is not really desirable. The 160/170 figures quoted are not reliable in 'real-world' terms.

sidmousetrousers

Apart from the highly priced but excellent Eizo monitors there were no 22" monitors that were any good for photo editing, they were just shiny TN panels for gamers because of their fast response times. There is now the Dell ultrasharp 2209W which has an E-IPS panel (not to be confused with the 2209S which has a TN panel. I bought 15 of the E-IPS panels for work (Adult Education photography studio) we paid 175 excl vat, an absolute bargain. TFT Central is a website worth visiting for info on monitors and panel types but basically the cheap TN panels are 6 bit jobs with narrow viewing angles and only able to reproduce the full 16.7 million colours by 'dithering' - guessing colours by comparing the nearest pixels.
    I bought an HP LP2475W 2 months ago & paid $385 inc vat but I think they are nearer 450 now.

David

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.