Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What's The Best Website hosts or builders for Photographers?

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Mar 2012 10:20PM
I think it was his comment on your first upload, Jodie.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Mar 2012 11:33PM
CB

My money is on Eviscera.

The mods should be able to do an IP check.

Wink

(Edit: Just checked the EXIF. Exposure mode was Manual. Lucian wouldn't have known how to do that. Apologies to Jodie.)
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
24 Mar 2012 11:39PM
Lol!

Jodie: As you will see they are all Lucian-obsessed..............they see him everywhere! Grin
ray1 10 541 1 England
25 Mar 2012 9:45AM
Hi Jodie - i would still consider a wordpress site/template such as this http://themes.themegoods.com/?theme=Core

The sort of money for you to do this is:

3 per year for a co.uk domain name.
30 per year for hosting.
25 on off for the template

Therefore 33 per year and you have control over your site and you can add as many photos as you like etc.

Im guessing you dont have any web skills so someone with a good understanding of wordpress etc might set everything up for you for 200-300. You would then need to learn some basic uploading skills or pay to have that done for you. Easy to do it yourself though.

You could also use sites such as foliopic etc and that would reduce your costs as you would not need anyone to set things up for you. Therefore about 50 per yr - bargin.

3000 - no way.
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2012 10:18AM
The right price all depends on what you want out of it. I've been involved in web builds with budgets from a few quid to seven figures over the years and all that really counts is whether the extra value created for the client is enough to justify the cost.

I'd tend to agree that either a foliopic or wordpress site would be the way to go for most people, but some folks don't have the time/will to set something like that up and would prefer it all just done for them to a properly professional level, with the right keywords chosen for search engine optimisation, custom styling for the site, etc. In that case a few k maybe isn't a bad budget for some professional help, bearing in mind that you're paying for the right experience and skill as well as simply hours worked.

Whether to DIY a website or not is no different from the decision on whether to get a pro tog involved for your business shots or do them yourself - it depends on your needs, time and budget.
Thanks guys Smile ray i was on the understanding that wordpress sites are not that good for seo like flash sites because the information gets diluted before it gets to google so ends up being harder for them to find you?? This is so confusing lol
ray1 10 541 1 England
25 Mar 2012 1:45PM
Not sure about that but you can use a SEO plugins with wordpress. Google places is also good for any site and worth using. You also need to get your site listed so it draws traffic from othe places and so on.

If you are not sure, I would start with something simple and work upwards as required. That way you can monitor traffic to your site, see what's popular and what is not.

I would start by considering what pages you might want - home, about me, portfolio's, blog, contact page for example. I would then gather my content, draw a pen picture of what you want on each page and select the pictues that you want to display. Once you have all of that, it should form the foundation of what you want from your site. If you want someone elase to do that for you, it will cost.

On the SEO front, you have to remember that not everyone can be number 1. If you have 100 sites all pushing for the number 1 spot and all have good and equal SEO you could still be number 100 on the list.

A friend of mine spent a lot of money on a site and within six months it did not meet his needs anymore and it became a very expensive mistake. He now uses a wordpress site that was designed to his spec for 500 and he is very happy as he can update and change as he wishes.

However, even though I am a wordpress fan, I would probably go with one of the system set up like foloipic to start with.

What are you wanting your site to do?
Hey Ray I need a Blog / shopping cart / locked galleries / links to Facebook & Twitter/ about 4 normal galleries and the capacity to upload 1000 images Smile
ray1 10 541 1 England
25 Mar 2012 2:11PM
That says wordpress to me, such as the core site I linked to earlier that will do everything you have listed apart from the shop that you can add. Wordpress is based on blogging, you can add a shopping cart with jigo shop, wp commerce or you can buy a template with a shop as part of it, galleries are easy to lock, links to facebook and twitter are normally part of the template and you can have use live feed plugins, you can have as many galleries as you want and upload as many photos as you want. Your site can grow with you whrn you are ready.

The problem you have is that will need someone to set up and update for you unless you learn to do it. Its not that difficult once wordpress and the template are installed.

Again though, a system such as foliopic will do all of that for you for less than 100 a yr if you like one of their templates. Personally I would go with that and see how you get on, if it is not up to the job, you have not lost a lot of money and you can then invest in a wordpress site for not a lot more and if that does not work you can go with the expensive designed site.

On the designed front, I read somewhere that web design companies are one of the most popular companies to fail with many not lasting more than a couple of yrs.

On the shop front have you considered using say photobox pro or similar.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
26 Mar 2012 3:30PM
I saw these guys at Focus. No idea how good they are....
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
26 Mar 2012 4:56PM
I just went mad the other night, learned how to install wordpress and within a few hours created this... http://www.mcfade.co.uk/photos/

total cost was 0

I already had the hosting for the original site, which is about 40 year I think.

I've used wordpress for 4togsblog and my own blog for a while, so was familiar with it to an extent - as an "end user".

What I learned was that WordPress is actually pretty easy to deal with IF you follow the instructions - and these are on Youtube or in documents all over the web.

Functionality....

That's for you to decide - mine's more of a "get people to ring me for work" kinda vibe than what you're after.

Blog - Wordpress is perfect for that
Locked galleries... I just create a very obscurely names pro-gallery on Photobox to do that...
Shopping cart - again, Photobox is free for this if you trust them
Links to social media - there's 1000's of Wordpress Plugins, take your pick!
Galleries... well you can use plugins in wordpress for that too. I used one here... http://www.mcfade.co.uk/blog/blog/midland-hotel-bradford/ which is VERY configurable, can do all sorts of things! it's in a simple slideshow mode on that blog - here is the same thing, but in a different mode http://www.mcfade.co.uk/blog/blog/discovering_morley/
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
26 Mar 2012 7:46PM
Ade, I know IT is still your first love Wink Why not charge people to do this for them? You may be able to do that in a few hours, many couldn't.
ade that site looks just like what i want looks great
Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
27 Mar 2012 7:51PM
lol Bri - Yeah, why not actually...

if anyone wants a basic Wordpress Site creating.... let me know Smile

What's the going rate? I think the faff of organising hosting, buying the domain and all that jazz may take a while. It was all done one night over lots of wine with a mate on my site when I first got it!
ray1 10 541 1 England
27 Mar 2012 7:58PM
The rates are just like photograpy Ade and depending on what is wanted - I have done wordpress sites from free to a half sleeve tattoo, 200 - 500 is typical though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.