Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What's the difference between Canon and FujiFilm cameras?

Can anyone tell me the difference between Canon and FujiFilm cameras? I own a FujiFilm FinePix S4500 so I'm curious what all the hype is over canon and other brands of SLR cameras. I've had it almost a year and love the quality pictures I get. Though figuring out fine tuning has been difficult since all tutorials on this sort of thing tend to be on canon or other brand cameras. I assume the setting are universal and have utilized these tutorials to play around with my photography and have gotten decent results. There's nothing I hate about my SLR aside from the size - a lot of time it's less work to throw the point and shoot in my purse and go with three kids versus lugging around my SLR.

Thanks for any advice, tips etc.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2014 10:06AM
It's all down to personal tastes and preference. Availability drives the high market shares between Nikon and Canon. Each manufacturer has their own innovations and advantages, and there's no such think as the perfect camera for every situation Smile
Best to enjoy what you have.
2 Feb 2014 10:14AM
Hi Steph,
And Welcome to the Forums!

There's a lot difference between DSLR and a bridge camera which your FinePix S4500 is a typical representative of. But if that difference really matters - is up to the person who uses the camera. And I own both Canon DSLR and FujiFilm bridge (HS30EXR in my case). Love them both - as every camera in my collection.

Every camera has it's strengths and weaknesses, and can be more usable than the others accordingly to the task and situation. For example, I would be in considerable difficulty trying for anything like this photo with a bridge camera:

Small sensor cameras like your bridge are simply not capable of this level of detail and colour gradations. For the image of this quality DSLR is my instrument of choice.

Not to say that that bridge cameras are bad:

This image was taken with Fujifilm HS30.
As you see, in Internet size images ( and small print) the difference may be quite negligible - depending on one's criteria for good image.

However, image quality is not the whole story about cameras, and as you rightfully write, bridge camera is a champion in versatility allowing for fast and effective use in a wide range of circumstances where DSLR may need much slower and thoughtful work process and depends on heavy and bulky optics to produce superb image as opposed to bridge camera's acceptable one.

At the end its "horses for courses" case, and I absolutely do not mind you that you be happy with your S4500.

Cheers!
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
2 Feb 2014 5:31PM
The main difference , in my opinion, is the ability to cope with a wider range of conditions. There are so many aspects of photography that are totally independant of camera quality however (not the least of which is the ability to compose a shot). If you can do that, you should be able to produce good shots whatever you have in your hand. You will eventually find the limitations of a bridge camera as opposed to using a DSLR, but if you are happy with what you are producing, don't worry about it, you will get some fantastic shots.
So now what is a "bridge camera"? Now my one question has turned into more questions based on the answers. I typically photograph my kids, dog, friends, stuff I make...I play around sometimes with photographing other stuff but for the most part have spent the last year or so playing with my camera and different settings. Originally I wanted the Nikon 1 J1 because of the size. Really I just want to take great pictures so any advice on the use of the camera I have would be great. Smile
LesleyJ 7 144 England
2 Feb 2014 9:23PM
A bridge camera is in between a compact camera and a DSLR. On a DSLR you will be able to change lenses, some have a full size sensor, there will be more control over ISO and other settings. I started on a finePix and loved it but now I have Canon 5d Mk1 and Mk2 and an ever growing collection of lenses.
2 Feb 2014 9:29PM
Bridge camera is the one you own. But why bothered with any differences with other cameras if you are happy with it? That is the only thing that matters really-any modern camera can take a very decent photo and some of photography classic masterpieces were taken with cameras those were barely better than a rusty bucket with eyeglass lens in the bottomGrin
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 141 England
2 Feb 2014 9:54PM
Welcome to epz. I hope you find the site freindly and informative.

Quote:love the quality pictures I get

Then that is fine, you shouldn't feel the need for changing/upgrading

Quote:I assume the setting are universal and have utilized these tutorials to play around with my photography and have gotten decent results

If you're talking about shutter speeds and apertures then yes, the nuts and bolts of photography can be applied to all cameras, and as you say you are pleased with your results.

Bridge camera, how I hate that term. It is meant to describe a camera that is more than a point and shoot compact but not up to the size and flexibility of a DSLR, it 'bridges' the gap.

Quote:any advice on the use of the camera I have would be great

If you have any specific questions then ask away.

Quote:Really I just want to take great pictures

Upload images and say what you wanted to achieve - the Critique Gallery is great for this.
2 Feb 2014 10:34PM
Here I read of DSLR flexibility. Problem with it is that DSLR is very flexible only in experienced hands. We often forget that casual amateur or beginner simply does not have skill level to handle this camera type to get anything better than they would achieve with a compact or superzoom ( another word for bridge) camera.

In beginner's hands not accustomed to skilled exposure and focus management a compact or superzoom will be more flexible than a DSLR.

For the purpose of Internet or small print image the difference between a DSLR and bridge camera can be almost negligible ( as I have shown above) - with the latter being much easier to handle even for experienced photographer.

DSLR kept for the purpose of simple family photos is an overkill in most cases. One does not need a large truck to go shopping.
altitude50 10 2.1k United Kingdom
3 Feb 2014 1:16PM
Just take lots of photos. I have just won a competition at an established camera club with a 10 x 8 print from a 3.2 mp camera bought in 2004.

I now also have a 9mp compact that I keep with me nearly every time I go out, plus a 14.2 DSLR that I use for particular purposes and 'trips'. Most of the time it is difficult to distinguish which camera has been used without going into the data.
The main thing I have learned is that I would never buy another digital camera without some sort of viewfinder.
weseeyou 3 112
3 Feb 2014 4:33PM
welcome Steph .
Sounds like you are enjoying your Fujifilm S4500 Smile

Perhaps the most sensible reply to your question has I think been given by MalcolmS.

It doesn't matter if a photographer owns the most expensive DSLR camera on the market if they do not know how to compose a shot and have little understanding of basic photographic technique. Plus a little artistic flair goes a long way too of course.

Successful photography in my humble opinion is less about equipment and more about how you choose to interpret what you see through the camera lens, that and having a good understanding of the basic principles of course Wink

If you study some of the images that you admire the most it will inspire you and you'll also begin to see how the photographers view their subjects and how they decide to represent what they see for us to marvel and admire.
4 Feb 2014 3:46AM
That's a broad question, Steph. To me, the main differences between Canon DSLRs and Fuji 4500 that you own is the interchangeable lenses, and the sensor size. Sensor size matters more if you are not happy with picture 'flatness', meaning you have a hard time isolating the object of interest from surroundings. Like if you took a portrait you might want that. If you don't care about that kind of stuff, there are plenty of pictures to be taken with the 4500, which does a fine job on a host of things. I guess it depends on you. I would play around with a feature search site like TraitMix.com and see what else is around.
seahawk e2
7 582 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2014 11:28AM
Hi Steph
I'm a Nikon user so can't really answer your question. If I was buying a more compact system I'd probably go for Panasonic.
Nice to see another Seahawks fan around here though.

Martin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.