Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What's the point?

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 7:32PM
I just saw this on the BBC website.

There's a guy who draws "photo-realistic" pictures using a Bic ballpoint pen. The thing is, while he undoubtedly has some skill at this, what is the point? He's not drawing a photo realistic picture of some scene that he has created or seen, he is just copying a photo that already exists. So, a photo-realistic drawing of a photo.
Is there a point? The work he produces could be done in Photoshop in minutes.... so is there are point at all to a piece of "art" just because someone has taken an unnecessarily long time to do something by hand?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Cephus 10 2.2k England
19 Oct 2012 7:37PM

Quote:Is there a point?

Yes, a Ballpoint! Tongue
19 Oct 2012 7:41PM
(you know what, I bloody knew someone would say that) Wink
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
19 Oct 2012 7:45PM
He is secretly nicking ballpoint pens from work because he cant order a camera on the stationary?Grin

Andy
Cephus 10 2.2k England
19 Oct 2012 7:51PM
TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
Wink
19 Oct 2012 7:58PM
I think it is rather cool, each to their own I say.
19 Oct 2012 8:01PM

Quote:He is secretly nicking ballpoint pens from work because he cant order a camera on the stationary?Grin

Andy

Apparently he only uses about 7 a year!
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 8:02PM
There's little point to any art form but we'd be lost without the beauty that comes from it.
However each of these would be unique.

But would i ever attempt it - No Smile as Bri says - no point, I'd use PS.
19 Oct 2012 8:03PM
I could do you a unique Photoshop version.....
19 Oct 2012 8:06PM
Ok get your masterpieces done and get them uploaded so we can all see...never know the bbc might be watching this thread as well...lol
19 Oct 2012 8:13PM
I'm not posting it here, someone would download it and copy it!

Wink
19 Oct 2012 8:52PM
To look at it another way...

If a digital artist creates a photo realistic image using a wacom (other brands available) graphics pen and tablet, its seen as art and gets praise, Using a ballpoint shouldnt be all that different (except for learning how to use Photoshop/Corel Painter). Its not about how long it takes. Its about vision and talent
19 Oct 2012 9:39PM
It depends on whether they are creating it themselves, or just copying an existing photograph, surely ?
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2012 9:41PM
still skillful though isnit it, I'd love to be able to draw like that.. tried painting something tonight and it went a bit skew whiff so I can appreciate the talent required (personally)
19 Oct 2012 9:57PM

Quote:It depends on whether they are creating it themselves, or just copying an existing photograph, surely ?

Not really.

If Rembrandt, Da Vinci, Van Gogh or Turner had the luxury of a photograph to refer to when they were sketching/painting a masterpiece, would it make it any less quality?

Many photographers also look at capturing a scene as they found it too, which is essentially recording/copying

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.