Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What's your favourite photography book?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ella
ella  1143 forum posts
8 Apr 2003 - 10:56 PM

Thought I'd start a thread on people's favourite photography books. I'm ready to look for further reading.

My current favourites are "Learning to see creatively" and "Understanding Exposure" both by Bryan Peterson and published by Amphoto.

Both of these books were truly readable - couldn't put them down. Bryan's approach to photography is logical but exciting and a great inspiration for the serious ameteur who has not had the opportunity of college to learn. He made me look at photography with a much more open mind and feel confident that I was able to produce some really creative images even in the most challenging circumstances.

Please post your favourite photography book.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2003 - 10:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scorchio
scorchio  11129 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Apr 2003 - 1:38 AM

hi there Smile
i have 3 favorite books at the moment. "the camera" "the negative" and "the print" by ansel adams. i cant think of a better way to learn about photography than to read a book by someone who has had such a huge impact on the craft. logical and concise with something in it for everyone.
neil Smile

J-P
J-P  11396 forum posts
9 Apr 2003 - 7:33 AM

I'd say the

Nyx
Nyx  11533 forum posts
9 Apr 2003 - 10:34 AM

I just have one book atm Guide To Photography by John Garret.Its quite a handy book for strting off Im finding it very useful.
regards Michelle

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2003 - 11:51 AM

I have two -
The Earth From The Air (a visual delight) and Creative Elements
(I no longer do darkroom work, but this was a brilliant book)

Katie
Katie  1376 forum posts
9 Apr 2003 - 12:43 PM

I personally love to peruse Photoshop 5.5 A to Z
Photoshop 6.0 A to Z by non-other than Pete Bargh!

jon.s
jon.s  11176 forum posts
9 Apr 2003 - 6:24 PM

John Hedgecoe's complete guide to photography. Simply the best, covers everything

newbiephotographer

I'd have to agree with you, Ella. Understanding Exposure is a must-have for anyone new or returning to photography, and as a compositional guide, Learning To See Creatively is great for opening up new perspectives on otherwise ordinary shots.

sean
sean  11169 forum posts
10 Apr 2003 - 11:12 AM

I recommend Lee Frost's Complete Guide to Night and Low Light Photography.

The content is more comprehensive than the title suggests and includes hints and tips on all manner of photography as well the expected long exposure night shots.

Good sections on flash, action, architecture, etc with good example pictures. Slightly outdated now (especially the digital sections) but the techniques and advice is spot on.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
10 Apr 2003 - 8:33 PM

I see Katie is after a pay rise again.
Wink

lightweaver
11 Apr 2003 - 8:46 PM

'Examples: The Making of Forty Photographs' by Ansel Adams and 'First Light' by Joe Cornish, both brilliant books. Plenty of great images and info on how they were taken. Enjoyed them both. (still do!)

Colin

FloppyDisc
FloppyDisc  11
11 Apr 2003 - 10:41 PM

Excellent choices so far - but I still think that you would be pushed to beat the 'Ilford Monochrome Darkroom Practice' by Jack Coote if you can get a copy!

Badger
Badger  124736 forum posts United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2003 - 1:24 AM

The best book for reference or beginners has been in publication for many years, it has had several reprints each with an additional update, most recently this was the inclusion of digital.
The book is "The 35MM Photographer's Handbook' which is by joint authors Julian Calder and John Garrett.
This is an excellent book and is useful in all situations.
Matt

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2003 - 12:14 PM

I love anything by Terry Pratchett, the Discworld series....oops, wrong place for that eh? I have lots of books by John Hedgcoe, and they are very informative, dont have any of Pete's books, but if he wants to send me one I will gladly read it and maybe review it for him!!! LOL Smile
I find a photography book very useful if it at least tells you how the photograph was taken, the settings etc, at least you have the chance to try it for yourself, and see what works.

durlstonp
durlstonp  11638 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2003 - 12:26 PM

Funnily enough Anthony, I consider anything that just tells me what the cameras setting were to be completely useless! Even if I were to stand in the same spot and try the same settings, the picture would be different, because the light would be different. On the other hand, I do value prose that tells me why the photographer chose those particular settings for those (described) conditions.

Oh and as for books; for hints, I like Heather Angel's Outdoor Photography: 101 Tips and Hints and for inspiration and entertainment, I rate Bob Carlos Clarke's Shooting Sex: The definitive guide to undressing beautiful strangers. But, at the end of the day, I'l buy any book that I find in the discount book shops that is full of pictures - I can't see too many good photos!

DP

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.