Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What's your most useless bit of kit?

James_G 7 166 5
10 Jan 2010 2:03PM
I'm sure this will have made an appearance on the forums before, but I am terrible for buying photography stuff and then not using it, and I wondered if people had their own 'useless bit of kit'? Mine is software rather than physical kit, but I bought PhotoMatix to do some HDR work, used it about three times, produced truly dreadful results and now it sits blinking at me on my desktop, silently reprimanding me for wasting money. I don't even like most of the HDR pix on the site. What possessed me?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NexusImages 7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 2:10PM
James, James, James... photomatix is a fabulous bit of digital jiggery pokery.. I urge you to give it another go. Please feel free to PM me if you want some help with it. I have a hunch that you are not tonemapping after you have blended (which is pretty horrendous).
Here's a challenge for you, go to my PF and PM me with the ones that you think are HDR. You may be very surprised.
As for useless bits of kit...so far I've kept it down to a blue grad screw in filter which cost 7 quid. The rest I do use. Oh no, I'm fibbing, I bought a gorilla pod which is an ornament on my camera bag...(but i Neeeeeded it).
Mand.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Jan 2010 2:13PM
James, you just need to play with the strings to get the best out of it. It is brilliant.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
10 Jan 2010 2:18PM

Quote:Oh no, I'm fibbing, I bought a gorilla pod which is an ornament on my camera bag.

You can use that as a stress toy...just get it out and bend it.

Not useless but just totally underused - 85mm Shift lens. I bought it with lots of ideas in mind but just haven't gone out to do those ideas yet.
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 2:19PM

Quote:it sits blinking at me on my desktop, silently reprimanding me for wasting money

Best place for it. Wink
10 Jan 2010 2:21PM

Quote:You can use that as a stress toy...just get it out and bend it

Pete - you are asking for a few innuendos here! Wink

(Sorry!) Wink
NexusImages 7 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 2:24PM
snort!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Jan 2010 2:26PM
My Depssi card - sunrise/sunset/DoF indicator. Never used... even once. Fortunately it cost less than 3.

There is much other stuff in my camera bag which, whilst I wouldn't say I have never used it, I do wonder whether it was cost-effective to buy it!
10 Jan 2010 2:32PM
CB - And your Beema stuck outside your garage?..../Wink

(Were you aware that BMW use clay models to develop their aerodynamics?)
riprap007 10 1.6k 37 England
10 Jan 2010 2:35PM
A Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro; excellent lens, but used once a year!
10 Jan 2010 2:41PM
My spyder - stuck in my my cupboard since I bought it. Sad

(Send it to Miss Muffet? Wink )
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
I have some filters that do not get used much, like a 0.9 ND Grad, but I would not say they are useless because if needed I have them !

Possibly my darkroom enlarger / lenses fall into the "useless" category as I cannot envisage me going back to printing again, one reason of course being that the paper I used has been discontinued !
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England

Quote:Were you aware that BMW use clay models to develop their aerodynamics

Perhaps I could use those clay models under the wheels to get the car moving! Grin

Quote:Macro; excellent lens, but used once a year!

Which is why I sold my Canon 100mm macro.
10 Jan 2010 2:49PM

Quote:Perhaps I could use those clay models under the wheels to get the car moving!

A couple of coconut mats might help!

On lenses - my Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM lens has only been used once - when I first tested it out. Was part of the kit bundle I bought.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Jan 2010 3:25PM

Quote:A couple of coconut mats might help!

I've some old carpet lying around - might give that a try. Smile

Quote: Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM lens

Interestingly, one of my hardest photographic decisions I've had to make recently was to sell my 70-200L. An excellent lens but so rarely used that I couldn't stand it looking at me, accusingly, every time I opened the camera bag. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.