Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What's your most useless bit of kit?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

James_G
James_G  7166 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:03 PM

I'm sure this will have made an appearance on the forums before, but I am terrible for buying photography stuff and then not using it, and I wondered if people had their own 'useless bit of kit'? Mine is software rather than physical kit, but I bought PhotoMatix to do some HDR work, used it about three times, produced truly dreadful results and now it sits blinking at me on my desktop, silently reprimanding me for wasting money. I don't even like most of the HDR pix on the site. What possessed me?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jan 2010 - 2:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NexusImages
NexusImages e2 Member 71844 forum postsNexusImages vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:10 PM

James, James, James... photomatix is a fabulous bit of digital jiggery pokery.. I urge you to give it another go. Please feel free to PM me if you want some help with it. I have a hunch that you are not tonemapping after you have blended (which is pretty horrendous).
Here's a challenge for you, go to my PF and PM me with the ones that you think are HDR. You may be very surprised.
As for useless bits of kit...so far I've kept it down to a blue grad screw in filter which cost 7 quid. The rest I do use. Oh no, I'm fibbing, I bought a gorilla pod which is an ornament on my camera bag...(but i Neeeeeded it).
Mand.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:13 PM

James, you just need to play with the strings to get the best out of it. It is brilliant.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:18 PM

Quote: Oh no, I'm fibbing, I bought a gorilla pod which is an ornament on my camera bag.

You can use that as a stress toy...just get it out and bend it.

Not useless but just totally underused - 85mm Shift lens. I bought it with lots of ideas in mind but just haven't gone out to do those ideas yet.

Last Modified By Pete at 10 Jan 2010 - 2:19 PM
andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Jan 2010 - 2:19 PM

Quote: it sits blinking at me on my desktop, silently reprimanding me for wasting money

Best place for it. Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225749 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:21 PM

Quote: You can use that as a stress toy...just get it out and bend it

Pete - you are asking for a few innuendos here! Wink

(Sorry!) Wink

Last Modified By Just Jas at 10 Jan 2010 - 2:21 PM
NexusImages
NexusImages e2 Member 71844 forum postsNexusImages vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:24 PM

snort!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:26 PM

My Depssi card - sunrise/sunset/DoF indicator. Never used... even once. Fortunately it cost less than 3.

There is much other stuff in my camera bag which, whilst I wouldn't say I have never used it, I do wonder whether it was cost-effective to buy it!

Just Jas
10 Jan 2010 - 2:32 PM

CB - And your Beema stuck outside your garage?..../Wink

(Were you aware that BMW use clay models to develop their aerodynamics?)

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2010 - 2:35 PM

A Sigma 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro; excellent lens, but used once a year!

Just Jas
10 Jan 2010 - 2:41 PM

My spyder - stuck in my my cupboard since I bought it. Sad

(Send it to Miss Muffet? Wink )

JJGEE
JJGEE  96233 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points

I have some filters that do not get used much, like a 0.9 ND Grad, but I would not say they are useless because if needed I have them !

Possibly my darkroom enlarger / lenses fall into the "useless" category as I cannot envisage me going back to printing again, one reason of course being that the paper I used has been discontinued !

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: Were you aware that BMW use clay models to develop their aerodynamics

Perhaps I could use those clay models under the wheels to get the car moving! Grin

Quote: Macro; excellent lens, but used once a year!

Which is why I sold my Canon 100mm macro.

Just Jas
10 Jan 2010 - 2:49 PM

Quote: Perhaps I could use those clay models under the wheels to get the car moving!

A couple of coconut mats might help!

On lenses - my Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM lens has only been used once - when I first tested it out. Was part of the kit bundle I bought.

Carabosse
10 Jan 2010 - 3:25 PM

Quote: A couple of coconut mats might help!

I've some old carpet lying around - might give that a try. Smile

Quote: Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM lens

Interestingly, one of my hardest photographic decisions I've had to make recently was to sell my 70-200L. An excellent lens but so rarely used that I couldn't stand it looking at me, accusingly, every time I opened the camera bag. Grin

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Jan 2010 - 3:26 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.