Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What should I be shooting with my 50mm lens?

EG 5 22 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 7:16PM
Hi Gary what kind of photography do you like yourself?

welcome you'll enjoy this community.

regards Eddie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
1 Feb 2013 7:19PM
Welcome to the site i have the same set up and its a great all rounder ye cannae shoot rabbits with it thoughWink

Rod
phred 8 71
1 Feb 2013 7:35PM
A million years ago when I bought my first SLR it came with a 50mm 1.8, and a real leather ERC (ever ready case)
This was the only lens I had for a long time (years).
So what can you use it for - Well everything!
ERR! limited only by your imagination. Wink
Fred
Graysta 9 1.1k England
1 Feb 2013 8:58PM

Quote:A million years ago when I bought my first SLR it came with a 50mm 1.8, and a real leather ERC (ever ready case)
This was the only lens I had for a long time (years).
So what can you use it for - Well everything!
ERR! limited only by your imagination

So did you have a Zenith B ?
I shot everything and more with it and a 50mm and one day someone allowed me to borrow a 120mm (i think telephoto). My world changed but now I love my f1.4 Nikon 50mm and as i am all full frame I am back to to where I started.
So much for progress ( but still no digital Zenith)
Meheecho 2 275 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 8:59PM
Welcome Gary and thanks for the query.
I have the 50mm lens as part of a Jessops package and have ever really used it due to ignorance. Thanks to all for the replies and advice and I will certainly make use of it in future
Steve
2 Feb 2013 12:47AM
Hi EG

I have only been taking pics with my D7000 since October, prior to that I just had a point and shoot. At the momment I am kind of just finding my feet and learning my way around the different compositions I can create using my only lens! I like portraiture, night photography, nature & wildlife, street photography and would like to get into some sports photography but may need a longer lens for that! If you would like to check out the kind of things I have been taking check out my flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/9aryfreeman

Cheers
EG 5 22 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 6:08PM
Think you should just keep taking shots as you are looked at your flicker account and think for one lens you have got some great compositions and like you can't wait to see what you will get with another lens.

Good luck and enjoy

Eddie
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 8:41PM
Ginger tomcatsWink

Adrian
EsaT 2 21 Finland
2 Feb 2013 10:39PM

Quote:I know you have highlighted it is not a portrait lens
Actually in APS-C format 50mm is quite decent focal length for portraits because of having field of view equal to 75mm lens in 135.
Reason for that is perpective:
The wider angle of view is the closer the distance and the more pronounced perspective... possibly making nose look out of proportion in size compared to rest of the face.
Though for those funny pictures ultra wide angle or even fisheye works...

For stitching panoramas completely free open source Hugin is one the most feature packed softwares and also includes exposure fusion for combining different exposure shots for increased dynamic range.
Also Microsoft has free Image Composite Editor which aims more for ease of use instead of full broadside of features.
Meheecho 2 275 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 10:51PM
Gary
Just viewed your Flickr photos and for a "one lens man" they are seriously good-- must use mine a lot more from now on
Steve
JamesFoad 1 1 United Kingdom
8 May 2013 8:46PM
I had a Practika TL1000 with a 50mm F1.8 and it was a lovely lens, found my self doing a lot of walking to get the photos i wanted. The best bit of advice i ever recieved when i started out in photography was: Use just 1 lens and get used to that one lens and walk up to or away from subjects
Skeet1Away e2
3 48 1 Scotland
10 May 2013 11:17AM
I totally agree with Sooty, I've been doing photography for about 18 months now.....you don't need to have top of the range kit to have fun and get great shots.....yes it would be nice to have it but we all need to start somewhere. My mate been doing this for over 20 years and he said to me lern to use what you can afford........I think this was good advice. I save watch for deals and buy a little bit of kit at a time. I spent most of my first year using a sigma 17-50mm and was great for all my need, I think it is us who need to adapt to each situation not the kit. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with your image in time the rest will come....I'm not perfect and make lots of mistakes at times, but at the end of the day it's all about having fun........

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.