Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What size and make external hard drive is best?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

GBrown
GBrown  7
4 Jul 2007 - 10:51 PM

So...
What size and make external hard drive is best?

I could use 500GB but have been told that this may be too big to work efficiently. Is that true?

Any should any makes be avoided? And where is best to buy?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jul 2007 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2007 - 11:02 PM

If the unit was designed as an external, Then the size will not matter, So if you need 500 Gb, go for it.

As for Brands, Best of the bunch is Seagate, Close second is Western Digital.

Ones to avoid are Lacie, Your paying for silly design label, & overheating probs.

Places to Buy.

Microdirect. co .uk

Komplett.co.uk

Ebuyer.com

Overclockers.co.uk

All have good stock/great delivery/super prices.

ellis rowell
4 Jul 2007 - 11:03 PM

I have used many makes of HDD and have found no difference between them. 500GB may be a bit on the large size and it may need to be partitioned into 2 or 3 partitions. These would show as 2 or 3 different drives. I would suggest you look around locally for a bargain. Distance buying may not be a good idea as things tend to get thrown around in transit, HDD's do not like being thrown around. I recently got the best price locally from PC World (for a 250GB HDD).

cameracat
4 Jul 2007 - 11:15 PM

Quote: tend to get thrown around in transit,

Whilst this is true, They have already been on a trip from the point of manafacture, This can be almost anywhere on the planet, I always have my HDD's delivered from any one of the suppliers listed, A total of some 50 plus drives i the last few years, Never had a problem.

Also as a further point re warranty, Seagate offer a 5 year warranty on all thier drives, With a 10 day max turnaround direct via them.

There is no reason to partition a 500Gb external drive, But you can if you wish, If you buy Seagate retail versions you get a drive install software called Diskwizard thrown in, That makes light work of installs & setting up partitions.

Or you can download a free copy of Diskwazard from the Seagate site.

Eightball
Eightball  7 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2007 - 11:20 PM

I am no expert on this subject but I have just purchased a Freecom 400gb external hard drive for 80 from PC world. Had no probs with it so far.

ellis rowell
4 Jul 2007 - 11:20 PM

Sorry Cameracat, when I said "thrown around" I was referring to postal and courier deliveries. Bulk deliveries in packing cases tend to be handled better.

cameracat
4 Jul 2007 - 11:23 PM

One External drive to look out for would be this model, It comes highly recommended.

Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive.

Smile

cameracat
4 Jul 2007 - 11:33 PM

Quote: postal and courier deliveries

Yeah! tell me about it, I had a Camera I bought ( a Nikon 35mm SLR ) turned up via special delivery, Looked as though it had been run over..Sad Not a happy bunny, For sure the Post & Couriers can get a tad careless, Unfortunately I'm at their mercy due to living in the Wilderness, But must confess if I had a supplier within a reasonable distance, I would probably collect my drives in person.

Other bits & bobs don't fare to badly, If the boys in the despatch departments pack them well, And I have sent stuff back when it has arrived in less than adequate packing... Wot a pain Sad

Take Dabs for example sent me a new oem CDRW in a jiffy bag, Guess what it was broken, Then the you can't believe it, They sent the replacement in a Jiffy Bag....AAaaarggg....Sad

And you have guessed it, I don't use them anymore.......LOL......Smile

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
5 Jul 2007 - 1:09 AM

Why would you need to partition a 500Gb drive ?

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
5 Jul 2007 - 7:51 AM

Quote: Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive.

Hi....Could I expect this to be as fast at retrieving data as the hard drive in my computer ?

....Mike

riprap007
riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2007 - 7:59 AM

no, USB2 is a slow interface, go for a firewire drive if you wnat good, near desktop speed.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2007 - 8:03 AM

Make that Firewire-800. USB2 has caught up with the original Firewire specs....

I had issues with a USB2 external drive which I recently bought - it wouldn't mount on my Mac's desktop. So I ditched it and got a Firewire one. Absolutely no more problems now!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2007 - 8:44 AM

USB2 may not be as fast as Firewire 800 but is no slouch. Let's face it, most uses of an external drive will be for backup and you don't need to sit around waiting for those to finish, you can run them while you are out taking photos.

I recently got a Western Digital Elements 500gb from eBuyer for less than 100. No problems with it and it has a nice pretty blue light on it when working. Smile

Ian

javam
javam e2 Member 91083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jul 2007 - 10:19 AM

Quote: Ones to avoid are Lacie, Your paying for silly design label, & overheating probs.

Never had an over heating problem with Lacie Drives myself and the most recent one I bought, a 500GB USB2 model was under 75 including VAT and postage so I would have to disagree with this statement.

I have 3 of the FA Porsche ones at home stacked up, 160, 250 and 500GB. The 160 and 250 are firewire and I use for photo/data storage the 500 is the USB 2, but that is my back up drive so speed is less of an issue.

At work I use a mix of D2 firewire and Ethernet drives for all our office backups.

Never had a problem with them and the D2 firewire drives have been in use on alternate days for over 3 years now.

jaspernina
5 Jul 2007 - 11:00 AM

Quote: Never had an over heating problem with Lacie Drives

Ditto

Very often, PC Pro's External Drive Gold Award winner.

Recently i bought a casing off ebay and a 320gb drive, totally useless, very slow....

Last Modified By jaspernina at 5 Jul 2007 - 11:04 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.