Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What software?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dacko
    dacko  7 United Kingdom
    4 Mar 2008 - 3:34 PM

Hi,being new to photography i would really appreciate some sound advice. I own a nikon D80 and intend to shoot in raw. My operating system is vista 32-bit, what would be the most compatable software to use for my picture editing. Looking forward to hear from anyone.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Mar 2008 - 3:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2008 - 3:59 PM

If you want to jump staight into Raw, then something like Adobe Elements may be an answer, or Capture NX etc.

On the other hand, you could consider shooting in jpeg format, there's free stuff on the web such as Picasa that'll cope with this, learn the basics of exposure, composition etc and then get more involved.

Chris

VolcanoCowboy

Photoshop Lightroom is an alternative choice to Elements. Costs more, but you get a product that is designed specifically for cataloguing, sorting and processing RAW (and will also work on jpg's and tiffs). A Mac-only alternative is Apple's Aperture. There is of course the software that came with your camera. Picasa might also work with your D80 RAW files.

Adam

Last Modified By VolcanoCowboy at 4 Mar 2008 - 7:39 PM
    Craftysnapper
    8 Mar 2008 - 10:56 AM

You can pick Elements 6 up for 44 as opposed to 199 for lightroom and it will also catologue your images as well and may be a better choice to get your feet wet and you may find you do not need anything else.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2008 - 3:21 PM

Why not give ACD Pro2 a try...if you like it then you can purchase it
    see here

Adrian

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    8 Mar 2008 - 4:18 PM

As you say you are new to photography, rather than spend 200 on something like Lightroom, I'd start with something more basic, and cheaper. If you get well into photography it makes sense to spend some serious money, but I'd see how you get on first.

peterhookwilde
    13 Mar 2008 - 5:06 PM

silkypix as a raw converter is very good,the basic package is a free download.(don,t buy the full version untill you try it .)then play around with jpegs in picasa untill you have got the hang of it

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2008 - 8:32 PM

Quote: Silkypix as a raw converter is very good

And so under rated.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.