Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What software?

dacko 7 8 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2008 3:34PM
Hi,being new to photography i would really appreciate some sound advice. I own a nikon D80 and intend to shoot in raw. My operating system is vista 32-bit, what would be the most compatable software to use for my picture editing. Looking forward to hear from anyone.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 8 752 14 England
4 Mar 2008 3:59PM
If you want to jump staight into Raw, then something like Adobe Elements may be an answer, or Capture NX etc.

On the other hand, you could consider shooting in jpeg format, there's free stuff on the web such as Picasa that'll cope with this, learn the basics of exposure, composition etc and then get more involved.

Chris
4 Mar 2008 7:39PM
Photoshop Lightroom is an alternative choice to Elements. Costs more, but you get a product that is designed specifically for cataloguing, sorting and processing RAW (and will also work on jpg's and tiffs). A Mac-only alternative is Apple's Aperture. There is of course the software that came with your camera. Picasa might also work with your D80 RAW files.

Adam
8 Mar 2008 10:56AM
You can pick Elements 6 up for 44 as opposed to 199 for lightroom and it will also catologue your images as well and may be a better choice to get your feet wet and you may find you do not need anything else.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2008 3:21PM
Why not give ACD Pro2 a try...if you like it then you can purchase it
see here

Adrian
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
8 Mar 2008 4:18PM
As you say you are new to photography, rather than spend 200 on something like Lightroom, I'd start with something more basic, and cheaper. If you get well into photography it makes sense to spend some serious money, but I'd see how you get on first.
13 Mar 2008 5:06PM
silkypix as a raw converter is very good,the basic package is a free download.(don,t buy the full version untill you try it .)then play around with jpegs in picasa untill you have got the hang of it
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Mar 2008 8:32PM

Quote:Silkypix as a raw converter is very good

And so under rated.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.