Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What spec do you have.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
4 Mar 2013 - 4:59 PM

Apologies for creating yet another pc spec related thread, however the way technology moves on, i'm aware that recommendations can change very quickly.

I have had my current desktop PC for about 5 years and it has always been fine, Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3GB RAM, 256mb NVidia GForce 8600 GT, Windows 7 32bit. It is used for Music and photography (LR3.6 & CS6). Of late Lightroom and CS6 have become very slow so I am aware that an upgrade is in order. I am looking to replace it to a laptop this time because of the portability issue, and connect it to my existing IPS monitor when I'm at home. My question is bearing in my usage, what do people recommend for about 600. Do I really need I7 or will I5 be adequate.

NB. Due to spending about 3000 over the last six months on upgrading body and lenses, I cannot justify to SWMBO shelling out 1500 on a Macbook Pro, so this WONT be on the shopping list. Please do not turn this into the usual MAC v PC debate Smile

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Mar 2013 - 4:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6536 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Mar 2013 - 5:20 PM

Quote: Of late Lightroom and CS6 have become very slow

I'm no PC pro, but if it was working fine before, could it be that the HD is chocka and could use a defrag? did it with mine a few months ago, and it sped things up a bit!

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2013 - 5:24 PM

I run LR4 and PSE 9 on a Dell Studio laptop with i3 processor and 4GB RAM and Windows 7 64-bit. It is a tad slow opening large scale previews but the actual editing is OK. All photos are on an external HDD.

Regards the desktop, have you googled the various 'optimise LR' options? I don't mean just 'optimise catalogue' function in LR but doing things to speed it up (allocating memory to LR etc). Also, it may be worth keeping the desktop and adding about 4 GB RAM to boost performance then you can use the laptop for portability with the desktop for heavy duty CS work.

Jestertheclown

I'm using a five year old Dell desktop with a Pentium 4 processor, 2 gig RAM and Windows 8 (32 bit) and it's just fine. In fact, until Christmas it was armed with XP and that was OK too, although 8 is better.
I can run CS6/5, Lightroom 3 and sometimes a couple of other, less resource hungry programmes at once and it all manages to work.
Lightroom's a bit slow in exporting images but otherwise, I've no complaints.l

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 4 Mar 2013 - 5:39 PM
User_Removed
4 Mar 2013 - 5:58 PM

Friend just got this, it's i7 and blazingly fast

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2013 - 6:14 PM

Add more memory (RAM) to your existing machine, cheap, easy and effective, take it up to the maximum for your motherboard.
If need to go to Crucial uk website where they can run a scan on your machine, match the memory they give the options, and you can order all in
one visit, very fast delivery.
David

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2013 - 6:20 PM

An upgrade to windows 7 (64 bit) would also be a great help.
David

Jestertheclown

Upping the RAM's not really an option.

The OP's machine is 32 bit with 3gb of RAM. That's (almost) as much RAM as it will recognise.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 4 Mar 2013 - 6:33 PM
chalkhillblue
4 Mar 2013 - 6:52 PM

Sorry, yes that is correct, I should have put my reference to an upgrade to Windows 7 (64 bit) in with my first reply,
as this will allow full use of the extra RAM.
Apologies... David

User_Removed
4 Mar 2013 - 7:10 PM

How about an i7 laptop? Windows 8 and 8 gigs of RAM, big screen, half the price of a Macbook here

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
4 Mar 2013 - 7:28 PM

I should have mentioned that all my pictures are taken in RAW, so I believe that the conversion and also running CS6 tends to slow it down.

I'd thought about upgrading OS and RAM, but then thought for the cost I could put it towards a newer machine instead, I,ve a feeling my motherboard will only got to 4GB as well, not sure how to check.

Thanks Chris, it looks well spec'd so might investigate further.

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2013 - 8:10 PM

How important is portability? You will get much more for your money by getting another desktop.

User_Removed
4 Mar 2013 - 8:11 PM

Editing large high resolution pictures take up a lot of RAM, if you're editing with multiple layers and multiple undo then RAM is more important than processor speed, so you might be better off with i5 and 16g than i7 with 8. If you find that operations are slow, sharpening, batch conversion etc then go for the faster processor.

My new (about 3 weeks old) PC has 32gb of RAM an i7 processor and a 512gb Solid State Disk (SSD).

It's incredibly fast but I think the thing that makes it blazingly fast is the SSD. It's so quick to load programs and programs are so quick to load fonts, libraries and settings. It's very fast to start up too, Windows 8 appears in seconds. The RAM is probably overkill but I wanted no compromises this time round. The processor isn't the fastest i7 available but I don't need it to be faster and it meant I could buy a fanless design (I hate fan noise and dust and new PC has no fans).

studioline
4 Mar 2013 - 9:53 PM

Importantly what mp is the new camera you have bought? I bought the d800 and my fabulous computer from before virtually ceased to be of any use. Far too much information for it to work with. I went for a new desktop as a laptop would have been in much the same situation very quickly.

Specs are

AMD athlon motherboard and 8 core cpu clocked to 4100
32gb DD3 ram
Nvidia 550ti GTX card
SSD drive for the windows drive
2T main storage drive
2T photo backup drive

It is blazingly fast.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2013 - 10:07 PM

Nice gaming PC.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.