Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What spec do you have.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

studioline
4 Mar 2013 - 10:12 PM

Lol. Very true Keith. I went for a beast of a machine as I think I never want to look at it again for another 5 years at least.

also Coolermaster 500w . Wish I had gone for a 700W power supply unit.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Mar 2013 - 10:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
4 Mar 2013 - 10:43 PM

Studioline, I've got the 60D so 18MP. Previously I ran a 8mp 350D and was using LR3 & CS3. Since all the upgrades it's almost ground to a halt

studioline
4 Mar 2013 - 10:47 PM

That is more or less what happenned to me with the larger pixel count, came more processing problems to a point where the computer would struggle and crash. My way out was to get a much more powerful desktop. I run an 15 laptop but I am not sure if that would even cope with the processing power required.

chrisheathcote
5 Mar 2013 - 7:39 AM

I'm thinking now of building my own with the following spec, any thoughts

AMD Fx 8320 3.5ghz (4ghz turbo) 8 core
16gb
120gb ssd (for os and program's)
600w corsair psu

From existing machine
DVD rewriter
Card reader
512 gb hard drive(for files)
256 mb graphics

What does everyone think?

keith selmes
5 Mar 2013 - 9:30 AM

I don't really know the answer, and I don't use Photoshop, but my desktop is

i5 Quad core 2500k at 3.3GHz
4GB ram
GT 520 with 1GB ram
2.5 TB on hard disks

and 1.5TB external back up disk

I expect that is a bit humdrum now, for example people are including ssd system drives nowadays, in laptops as well as desktops.
I don't see a need for i7 unless you are doing seriously heavy duty 3D design work.
I believe i5 is still the most cost efffective in comparing performance, price and power consumption.
You probably don't need a special graphics chipset either unless you are doing 3D or 3D games.

Getting a good spec in a reasonably priced laptop is a bit more difficult, but I should think 600 would cover it easily.

chrisheathcote
5 Mar 2013 - 10:30 AM

Have been looking into this and think I might just leave it with on board graphics and share. Even sharing 1.5GB will leave 14.5 Gb left for RAM

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
5 Mar 2013 - 1:02 PM

If you are thinking of building your own, there are some good deals at AWD, who also trade on Am*zon as ADMI Ltd. I've recently upgraded to this bundle with 8GB RAM - great motherboard package, plenty fast enough for photo editting. The on board graphics are fine, I don't see the need for a separate card.

Adding a solid state drive just for the operating system helps a lot with speed, I'm running windows 7 64bit on this SSD.

Martin

Last Modified By Martin54 at 5 Mar 2013 - 1:06 PM
studioline
6 Mar 2013 - 10:02 PM

Quote: I'm thinking now of building my own with the following spec, any thoughts

AMD Fx 8320 3.5ghz (4ghz turbo) 8 core
16gb
120gb ssd (for os and program's)
600w corsair psu

From existing machine
DVD rewriter
Card reader
512 gb hard drive(for files)
256 mb graphics

What does everyone thin

I think that is a good spec for what you need. i would say that 512 may fiill up fast but you can always add later. also if you find the graphics card slow, you could again add later on so the system can grow with you.

User_Removed
6 Mar 2013 - 10:14 PM

I think a 512 is a false economy, 1tb drives hold twice as much but are nowhere near twice the price. Your boot drive could do with being bigger but they are expensive items and it's still possible to install lesser used programs on your second hard drive.

chrisheathcote
7 Mar 2013 - 12:24 AM

Thanks Chris. I already have the 512gb in my current PC, was going to use that for now and upgrade later to a 2gb. I also have a 2gb external drive. As for program's, the main ones I use are LR, CS6, iTunes and MS Office. My main confusion is the whole AMD or Intel battle. Can anyone shed any light as to which is better

keith selmes
7 Mar 2013 - 9:15 AM

Quote: the whole AMD or Intel battle

I've used AMD in the past, believing it was more cost effective at that time, and also encouraging choice in the industry.
Now though, I would just go with Intel as it saves angst and cuts my research time in half.
I may change that point of view if there is a significant move toward an alternative, but for now Intel is a no fuss option.

chrisheathcote
7 Mar 2013 - 9:32 AM

Thanks Keith, Looks like an Intel I7 will be going in in place of AMD then.

studioline
7 Mar 2013 - 12:01 PM

ALso note that there is a huge difference in hard drives. Try to go for a single platter 7200 drive where possible. They are almost as fast as ssds!

SosFM
SosFM  581 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 9:02 PM

Chris L you don't say what your new machine is, I would be interested to know?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022892 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 9:06 PM

It's a 27in Mac. He'll tell you otherwise but he lies.
Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.