Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What technology is next

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM

You may have seen Josh' first look at the new Lytro camera. It has totally new technology, including a LightField sensor that allows you to refocus after the photo has been taken. Do you think this will take off?
Manufacturers continue to develop new sensors with different pixel arrays, and we're seeing cameras with new modes such as 3D and HDR.

What do you think is the next major stage of evolution?

I believe the inclusion of the Andoid operating system in cameras will open up some major changes in the coming years. Up until recently we've been restricted to developments made by technology teams at each manufacturer's headquarters.These teams are often quite small and they're maybe restricted to lots of red tape and protcol. An app on the other hand can be created by any programming genius and there are plenty around. Now rather than knock out another game I wouldn't be surprised if more turn their minds to camera features.

That in mind - what App would you like to see?

I'd like to be able to select areas of a scene and let the camera expose for each selected zone, either compressing or expanding tonal range as desired. Basically like a digital version of the Zone system all controlled in camera. HDR modes are getting closer, but they rely on the camera deciding.

Last Modified By Pete at 8 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 9:15 PM

Quote: Do you think this will take off?

Not in its present form. This seems to be aimed at the camera phone (and Flip video) set. But with a camera phone practically everything is in focus anyway. The nuances of focus don't feature highly with the likely users.

Quote: What do you think is the next major stage of evolution?

Lens technology. Smaller flatter lenses. So you can put a 10x zoom on a small CSC and slip the whole thing into your coat pocket. Convenience is as important as quality - even for enthusiasts these days.

Quote: That in mind - what App would you like to see?

Not sure it needs an app. But something like the Nokia 808 must surely get an Android/iPhone competitor in due course. Lossless digital zoom, will become commonplace. Once that happens, the compact market, currently in its death throes, will give up the ghost and even entry level ILCs may be affected.

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 9:36 PM

Curved sensor - this will simplify lens construction because you will not need as many elements currently built into today's rectilinear lenses meaning shorter, lighter lenses.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9349 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
8 Oct 2012 - 9:50 PM

I would like to see smaller, higher quality sensors being produced with reduced noise and better colour rendition. In general, i would like to see higher quality more compact cameras. DSLRs are bulky and the mirrorless cameras haven't really been able to beat the quality of them yet IMO. Surely sensor technology, if we can get by the hype of more Megapixels = better, can progress such that small size can also be synonymous with quality. I know that larger sensors have their advantages but surely there is a little of the "snob" factor involved when some people talk about their full-frame cameras Wink

Also lens technology.... I would like to see better quality lenses, perhaps using innovative materials. I am not really familiar with the make up of lenses. All i know is that they go on the front of the camera Smile .

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
8 Oct 2012 - 10:35 PM

Well if cameras get a data connection, it wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Jessops putting their Android app on them to order prints directly from the camera, although I can't see serious photographers using it...

Don't know really - aside from the obvious posting to FB and/or Twitter, and stuff like Instagram..... Spend 5 grand on a top DSLR and lens combo then run the image through an app to make it look like it came off a Lomo... Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014516 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:49 PM

I have my hands full with my present kit.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96236 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 10:58 PM

Quote: What do you think is the next major stage of evolution?

Video taking over from stills, then software such as Lightroom being able to "freeze frame" then being able to process it just as if it were a RAW file.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 11:05 PM

Quote: Spend 5 grand on a top DSLR and lens combo then run the image through an app to make it look like it came off a Lomo

That's the jokey side of apps
But what if they could develop an algorithm that looked at the light and ran a polarising emulator. Or variable ND filter function. Or selective matrix metering where you take reading from the points you want and average those out. Or speed detection panning where the camera works out how fast you're moving to the speed of the action you're photographing and works out the necessary shutter speed to freeze the subject while blurring the background. All features that may or may not excite the manufacturers but could be top of the list for some wizard app developer.

Pete
8 Oct 2012 - 11:07 PM

Quote: Video taking over from stills, then software such as Lightroom being able to "freeze frame" then being able to process it just as if it were a RAW file

I think that will be here sooner than we think
I'd also like to be able to easily apply a layer mask to one frame and then let the processor apply the same mask and reposition as the subject position changes to all other frames

User_Removed
8 Oct 2012 - 11:14 PM

Quote: I'd also like to be able to easily apply a layer mask to one frame and then let the processor apply the same mask and reposition as the subject position changes to all other frames

That's been doable in After Effects since CS2 or earlier

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
8 Oct 2012 - 11:14 PM

You would need far more integration with the hardware than is currently available on android devices, although that would be possible I suppose.

Pete
8 Oct 2012 - 11:17 PM

Quote: That's been doable in After Effects since CS2 or earlier

Ah right - and not in a fixed position (it follows the shape changes etc?

User_Removed
8 Oct 2012 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, you need to have some continuity, like some reference points that are visible at all times. Look on YouTube, advanced masking after effects. The same techniques are used, for example, to get text to 'follow' a person as they move

StrayCat
9 Oct 2012 - 1:35 AM

Quote: Or selective matrix metering where you take reading from the points you want and average those out. Or speed detection panning where the camera works out how fast you're moving to the speed of the action you're photographing and works out the necessary shutter speed to freeze the subject while blurring the background.

Pete, correct me if Im wrong,Grin but aren't both of those features available now in many camera bodies? I'm pretty sure I've had the first one on cameras over the years, and the second is a form of predictive tracking where the cameras mini computers figure out where the subject will be and sets up for it; when you release the shutter, its all been calculated.

Denny

StrayCat
9 Oct 2012 - 2:25 AM

May be of interest.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.