Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What technology is next

pabloisme 4 566 England
9 Oct 2012 8:23AM
can I have one built into my eye?

It will save carrying all that KIT we all strive & aim for for!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
9 Oct 2012 8:28AM

Quote:Or selective matrix metering where you take reading from the points you want and average those out.

Not sure of the matrix definition but that is something that I have had available for many years with my Minolta Spotmeter.
Average out two spot readings or eight incident readings Wink

I guess the technical advance is doing it "in camera "

Now there is something.... getting a camera to take incident readings.... or do some already have that feature ?
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
9 Oct 2012 8:46AM

Quote:Or selective matrix metering where you take reading from the points you want and average those out.

You also used to be able to do that (with an expansion card ) in the Minolta Dynax cameras. There was a multi-spot card which gave you the capability to take up to eight spot meter readings and it would average out the results.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
9 Oct 2012 8:59AM

Quote: There was a multi-spot card which gave you the capability to take up to eight spot meter readings and it would average out the results.

That's right, I'd forgot about that. Minolta were quite well ahead of their time with that creative expansion system as you could expand the feature set of your Dynax with a wide range of cards. Trouble is they cost a lot (well 20 - 40 per card if I remember rightly) so I don't think it took off as well as they'd expected. The thing is other manufacturers were starting to offer many of the features internally such as sports modes.
9 Oct 2012 9:45AM
That's true, Pete. The cards were a wee bit pricey, and I don't think Minolta did much of a job of marketing the system either. As I recall, most articles/reviews in the photo press tended to dismiss it based on nothing more than the A/S card for the 5* series cameras, which added Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual (?)) to what was Program-only when first purchased (or maybe it had Program and Manual and the card only added A/S? Not sure). Worse in many ways was the Custom Functions card, which you had to buy to give you access to the more advanced settings in the camera. After all, the A/S card wasn't so different in principle from the adapter that was available for the Olympus OM-10.

I never had the multi-spot card, although I remember I would have liked to get it. I had the data memory card, which recorded your shutter speed, aperture, and (with Minolta and approved 3rd-party lenses) focal length, and possibly ISO? for up to 40 photos. After all, this was film, so there was no handy chunk of EXIF data embedded in the image file! I had a couple of other cards, too, but I'm not sure which now. The biggest drawback was if you were using something like the data memory card, and wanted to use some other card at the same time - not possible as there was only one card slot.

Still, it was pretty advanced for its time, and had quite a few plus points.

Edit: correction, the 2nd generation Data Memory card stored these data and more for up to 4 rolls of 40 exposures.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
9 Oct 2012 9:50AM
I was part of the photo press when they arrived, and I think the general feeling was that they'd stripped down the cameras to then charge extra for features that were starting to appear in Canon EOS cameras as standard.
9 Oct 2012 11:24PM

Quote:can I have one built into my eye?

Take a look at Google's "ProjectGlass". That may be close to what you're looking for. Of course it would probably include being fed targeted advertising in your "viewfinder" and being profiled on the basis of what images you capture. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.