Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What to buy in New York?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

streetg
streetg  1168 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Feb 2010 - 1:10 PM

I am off for a short break to New York city, for the first time, in a few weeks . Whenever you tell people that you are going to New York they always seem to advise taking an empty suitcase for all that shopping (this seems to particularly apply to the fairer sex!). So my question is are the goods in NY really cheaper and if so what are the best bargains to be looking out for?
Thanks, Geoff

Last Modified By streetg at 1 Feb 2010 - 1:10 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Feb 2010 - 1:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

podgod
podgod  10494 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 1:32 PM

You can shop in the UK but you can't see the sights of New York over here, we went over a few years ago and the only shop we went to was Macy's, something to do with getting a bag my wife said, there was just to much other things to see and do without shopping.

JamesBurns
1 Feb 2010 - 1:33 PM

What are you after buying? Camera gear, or just stuff in general? Everything is slightly cheaper due to the exchange rate, but I'm not sure if there are massive savings to be had these days as there have in the past.

(someone will also be around shortly to remind you to declare whatever you buy when you return to the UK...)

If you're going for camera kit, stay away from the nasty tourist shops that sell all things electronic, and head for B&H Photo - I can't remember the exact address, but it's down past Madison Square gardens. It's a camera-lovers dream shop, and has very knowledgeable staff too. Be sure to check the opening times/days before you go - the shop observes Jewish holidays which can catch you out if you're not familiar with when they are.

kaybee
kaybee  103758 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 1:52 PM

A Shelby Mustang

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 3:00 PM

Quote: A Shelby Mustang

Smile

And a 53 Corvette please.....Smile

Last Modified By cameracat at 1 Feb 2010 - 3:01 PM
markharrop
markharrop  10191 forum posts England
1 Feb 2010 - 3:12 PM

If you want to buy cheap(er) clothes, jeans etc, we were told to go down 7th and 8th Avenues as they are away from the main stores. We did pickup some good bargains, but that we a few years ago.

I loved New York, sightseeing and camera opportunities are a plenty. enjoy your visit.

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
1 Feb 2010 - 3:37 PM

If you go to Macy's go to customer service with some ID. As a foreigner to the USA they will give you a 11% discount card which will be valid for 6 months.

B&H is a must and is ony a block or two from Macys (as said above they are closed Saturdays)

SOHO is also a geat place to shop and has wonderful restaurants

If you there on a Saturday popdown to Union Square for the Farmers Market, there is also a fantastic Boarders Books and Whole Foods on the square.

Last Modified By Strobe at 1 Feb 2010 - 3:39 PM
Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 3:47 PM

B & H is at 420th on ninth Ave on the corner of 34th street , was in there last week its not so cheap any more and bare in mind that you have to add NY tax at 7% to the quoted price.

With the dollar exchange rate and no uk warrenty i would at this point in time buy here in the UK unless you see something you can not get here. if you have a web type phone check the prices here before buying anyhing, its not as good as two years ago.
But B&H WILL blow your mind there is no other photo store like it in the world. they also sell TV's, Hifi, and computers to but all in 110 volts.

There is plenty to do but you will be in bed by 8/9 pm on the first day off arriving. personally i hate the place it dirty and people are rude but i have to go on business.

Last Modified By Tonyd3 at 1 Feb 2010 - 3:50 PM
Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
1 Feb 2010 - 3:58 PM

Quote: people are rude but i have to go on business.

I travel to NY a lot on business, I actually find them very friendly. It so easy to go out by myself, just meet people in NY and chat to them. Something I find very difficult in London.

The service there is also excellent.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 4:01 PM

Quote: What to buy in New York?

A crack pipe?

streetg
streetg  1168 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Feb 2010 - 8:44 PM

Thanks everyone. I don't think I'll be investing in camera gear (I think I might just take a peek in B & H as it sounds like a place to drool for a while) just interested in whether I should be making sure I have got bag space to bring anything back. I will of course be packing the camera to capture some memories.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014402 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 8:47 PM

B&H have a large selection of used kit. You might find a bargain there; filters, etc.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014402 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 8:51 PM

I just ordered a Sony ereader for my wife from the US, and the prices are very low compared to Europe. From what I could see, UK prices were about 100% higher than US prices. I paid $200.00 USD for a Sony PSR600 RC, free shipping, new.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2010 - 1:21 AM

Quote: head for B&H Photo - I can't remember the exact address, but it's down past Madison Square gardens. It's a camera-lovers dream shop, and has very knowledgeable staff too. Be sure to check the opening times/days before you go - the shop observes Jewish holidays which can catch you out if you're not familiar with when they are.

address and opening times for the B&H superstore.

Quote: people are rude but i have to go on business.
I've found New York has grown on me over the years, I hated it the first time I went there on business, now I quite look forward to it once I'm past the whole airport/airline/customs farce.

I think clothing (non fashion) is generally cheaper than the UK, food is also better quality & value than the UK, but everything else is about par now.

I managed to rip a pair of work trousers getting out of a taxi in Beijing, so needed a new pair in New York for the following week. Made the mistake of starting my shopping in Saks on 5th avenue as it was near the hotel!! $$$$ !! Ended up buying in Macey's for a much more reasonable price. Bloomingdales is the other big department store. Worth a walk up and down 5th Avenue for the window shopping, and seeking out the bargins in Chelsea or Soho.

JamesBurns
2 Feb 2010 - 9:43 AM

[quote]...bare in mind that you have to add NY tax at 7% to the quoted price.quote]
Which, if you keep the receipts, you can claim back at the airport before you depart.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.