Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What to buy in New York?

john64 e2
10 824 England
2 Feb 2010 10:11AM
Last time I went to New York I came back with a wife !!

(OK, so we did travel out together and it was planned, but you still need to be careful)

For a great bite to eat, try Sparks or Keens Chop House. We booked a table at Sparks for dinner after we got married, top quality, highly recommended.

Enjoy your trip.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

streetg 11 68 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2010 1:21PM

Quote:Last time I went to New York I came back with a wife !!

As I am going for an anniversary trip I am quite hoping to come back with one too! Smile

Thanks for the tips about the restaurants John.

Anyone been on the helicopter trips? Is it worth the 100 a seat for a 15 minute trip?
sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
2 Feb 2010 3:08PM
Couple of extra tips on eateries, if you can stretch the budget and want to earn loads of brownie points to balance your B&H visit, book a table at The Tavern On The Green in Central Park, one of the best steaks I've ever eaten.

And another great place and I think the best cheesecake in NYC, is the Carnegie Deli.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2010 3:23PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Tavern on the Green has recently closed down. Sad
Strobe 7 1.3k United States
2 Feb 2010 3:47PM
Some of my favorite restaurants (all on google)
Mexican : Rosa Mexicano - the guacamole is famous in NYC
. : Arriba Arriba - cheap, good, full of locals (9th and 51st)

Sea food : Blue ribbon - The Brasserie is my fav and Blue Ribbon Sushi is excellent

Steak: The Palm - a classic

P.J. Clarke: large pub, beer and good oysters (63rd and Columbus)
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
2 Feb 2010 4:15PM

Quote:Sea food : Blue ribbon - The Brasserie is my fav and Blue Ribbon Sushi is excellent

If it's sea-food you want, the Grand Central Oyster Bar on one of the lower levels at Grand Central Station is something of an institution. Fine food in an informal setting. Well recommended.
Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2010 4:42PM

Quote: so what are the best bargains to be looking out for?

The best bargain in travel are Big Apple Greeters because they are totally free and absolutely excellent when I went some years ago.
sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
2 Feb 2010 8:33PM

Quote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Tavern on the Green has recently closed down.

Noooooo!! Thats a shame, thought it would be there forever. I ordered the shellfish platter for a starter, thought id would be good for $20, out came a huge silver platter plate covered in crushed ice and the most amazing mix of shellfish I had ever seen.

Glad I got to experience the place before it closed, was a bit of an iconic place.
streetg 11 68 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2010 12:08PM
Looks like the Tavern on the Green is undergoing a refurb and change of ownership

Thank you for all the helpful comments
Geoff
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2010 12:23PM
When I worked over there my employer had their Christmas party at TOTG, in the crystal room overlooking the park. It was the most amazing place and, coupled with the fact it was the first time I had been greeted at the door at a works do with canapes and champagne, the place really stuck in my memory. Been back a few times and I hope the refurb does it justice.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.