Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What to buy next?

Ryme e2
1 2
2 Nov 2013 9:50AM
Hi all. I currently have a Nikon D300, a Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX (LOVE this, and use it for almost everything), a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and a Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 SP Di macro. I take mostly landscapes. I have a decent set of filters, a good tripod and a remote release.

I have about 1,000 / $1,600 set aside to buy camera equipment. My question is - what would you suggest I should spend it on? I'm happy to buy good quality secondhand items, or new. Should I look at a new camera body, or lens(es)?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 10:10AM
If you don't know what you want to buy.....you don't need it!!........Have fun with what you've got.
Ryme e2
1 2
2 Nov 2013 10:15AM
Well, ideally I'd like a D3X, but unfortunately my budget won't stretch to that!
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
2 Nov 2013 11:02AM
The D3X is intended for hard professional use, to survive in the hands of press photographers. One idiot dropped my new D3X onto the studio floor on its very first day, before I'd even used it myself. We tested it thoroughly and couldn't find anything out of kilter apart from the cosmetic damage so it went back into use and it's worked ever since.

If you intend to treat the camera with a little more consideration, lesser models will give the same or better image quality at a much lower cost. Check out the D7100.
gala e2
1 766 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2013 11:09AM
Work out what you want to do with whatever you buy, then look for whatever fulfils that wish. (Currently trying not to buy a 2nd-hand 14-24 for night photography on the basis that it's very expensive, but sounds like it's the lens that does what I want to do. I think I'm about to have an epic fail)
Ryme e2
1 2
2 Nov 2013 12:25PM
Thank you - yes, I realise the D3X is for professionals, it's just one of those 'If I win the lottery' ideas!! I'm certainly nowhere near pro - I have a large portfolio on (link removed, please see t & c's), but that hardly counts. Haven't uploaded there for ages, I got bored of stock photography. It's purely for fun now.

I've had two 'years out' of photography due to illness. Prior to that it pretty much filled my every waking moment. I was very aware of what was on the market, and what I could get for my money. Now I find I'm having to do a lot of research to see what's available.

The D7100 looks good, thank you for the suggestion, I'll certainly look into that further. Smile
2 Nov 2013 6:33PM
Perhaps it's a matter of saving money for you for the moment. Nikon's about to unveil a new full frame based on the FM2, which, from what I understand, will be reasonably priced. It'll be officially announced this next Tuesday, if I remember right.
kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
2 Nov 2013 6:38PM
Your first question has to be one to yourself ........ what is it I do not get from my current equipment that requires me to 'upgrade'?
2 Nov 2013 9:17PM
If you don't need any kit, then spend some cash on the thing that most people forget about. Training Smile This is not meant to cause offense, even the best photographers can get something training. Either landscape as that's what your interested in and you will most likely get something from it. Or even a different course, wildlife...
8 Nov 2013 9:37PM
While "spending for the sake of spending" can be unwise I suggest upgrading to a D7100 body and putting 550 lenses.
A D7100 will give you up to 15% of more resolution with any lens it any aperture including diffraction limited apertures, plus much better noise and better AF though not a bigger buffer.
No lens at f8-11 is going to give you you anything like 15% improvement, including your convenience rather than highest possible quality 18-200. I am not denigrating your 18-200 as I own and use one for it's convenience, but I do also use even better lenses when highest image quality is important.
In the UK the D7100 is around 740 after Nikon cash back, and the D300 is worth maybe 300.
Having read a number of replies it seems to me that the Nikon D7100 is the best bet , if you really want to upgrade. I have actually written a detailed revue of this camera so you might like to read it? You can find it at: [link removed, advertising against forum rules]

I hope this is helpful to you as it also gives you a range of kits and prices etc. I'm a great Nikon fan so I have to admit to being a bit biased but I have never had any trouble with either of mine, so good luck and happy shooting!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.