Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What to buy with 1000?

Ian Pratt 12 75
10 Jun 2007 10:29PM
A friend has asked me to advise her as to which 2 DSLRs to buy for her Girls' Brigade company. The girls are between 6 and 18 years old.
I have checked the photo magazines and am thinking of the Olympus E-400 kit with 2 lenses and the Canon EOS 400D plus lens.
Any other ideas?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
10 Jun 2007 10:30PM
Couple of s/h Canon 10D or 20D 's cracking cameras the pair and rugged enough to take a little 'abuse'.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
10 Jun 2007 10:59PM
Taking the age group into consideration, And therefore looking at ease of use learning curve wise.

I'd probably recommend a Nikon D40 & D40x, Both are aimed straight at the beginner level with easy to use menus, Lots of on-board help, Oh! and the usual Nikon build quality, That should take a little rough handling.

As these are offered in various kits, They could benefit from kits with different lens options.
11 Jun 2007 1:01AM
The Nikon d40 is a brilliant beginners dslr. I got a D40 about 2 months ago and its so easy to work. Great for teens as im only 15.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
11 Jun 2007 1:08AM
I don't think you can go wrong with any entry level DSLR. For the age group concerned I would go with one of the smaller models, so the Canon 400D or Oly E-400 would be fine.

I would get two of the same make rather than two different ones, that way you can swap lenses between them.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Jun 2007 2:02AM

Quote:The girls are between 6 and 18 years old

If it has to be a dslr for the younger one`s, live view will go down well. The E410 is due any time now. Or there`s alway the E330 with live view at about 300 with kit lens. With the money you could get the 410 twin lens kit and the E330 single lens kit and still have change for memory cards etc.

As Paul say`s best to get two from the same make.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Jun 2007 2:18AM
forgot to add this link here

A little cheeky but if you tell them its for a brownie troop the might chuck in a few freebies
Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2007 7:13AM

Quote:I would get two of the same make rather than two different ones, that way you can swap lenses between them.

Definitely. It's not just the lenses that can be swapped but filters, cable releases and all the other accessories. I'd go for two fo the exact same model then both work in exactly the same way and they don't have to learn two different interfaces. Makes things a lot easier in the long run. + you might get a 'fleet' discount

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.