Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What to charge?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    LeighRebecca
    31 Mar 2009 - 9:57 PM

Sorry, I realise this question is asked a lot on here, and is difficult to answer, but it's the first time I've been approached for anything other than a print..

A project manager is working for the local council on a project finding out if there's demand for a creative industries centre locally, and is doing an 'eshot' to promote the research, and wants to use a couple of my images (found from my website) in the eshot (a low res pdf). The eshot will be sent to about 400 contacts, and would credit me, but she asked re cost and copyright.

It doesn't sound like a big thing, so I don't imagine any costs would be much, but has anyone any idea where to start?
    Or should I ask what she anticipates paying?
    Is 50 strictly for the use given a reasonable amount?
    Or is it not worth charging, and just hope my images are used and serve to promote myself?

I know it's a very small thing, but as I said, it's the first time I've been asked something like this, and I value the feedback from you guys. Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Mar 2009 - 9:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101471 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2009 - 10:21 PM

Quote: Or is it not worth charging, and just hope my images are used and serve to promote myself?

It is definitely worth charging, with only 400 contacts and just a credit its highly unlikely you would get any future business out of this from other clients and if you charge a client a cheap price or no price its very hard to put up your prices in the future.

Chris

LeighRebecca
    31 Mar 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Chris. Is 50 reasonable? Pricing is very difficult. I am inclined to ask what price they anticipate paying first.

Last Modified By LeighRebecca at 31 Mar 2009 - 10:26 PM
    discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93427 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2009 - 10:50 PM

Ask them what they think is fair. If the answer they give is unreasonable, walk. I've seen your stuff, and I would say it's got mass appeal. Check what sort of resolution they have in mind, because otherwise you could be handing out four hundred free prints. PDFs can print out farily well, so it's something to consider.

LeighRebecca
    31 Mar 2009 - 10:53 PM

Yes, I thought of that, I would need to make sure the resolution isn't sufficient for printing. Thanks David.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93427 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2009 - 11:05 PM

Any time Smile

LeighRebecca
    1 Apr 2009 - 12:04 PM

Well, I asked them to name a fair price, and they suggested 50, which is the figure I had in mind. The images are very small resolution, and have been sent now, so that was amazingly smooth. Thanks for the support here.

discreetphoton
    1 Apr 2009 - 6:33 PM

Glad it all turned out to be mutually profitable Leigh.

gcdj
    gcdj  5 United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2009 - 5:03 PM

Hello there. I have my own website but am new at this and don't know how to set it up so that people can find my images without knowing my name. In your question via the Forum section you ask about how much to ask for some of your images that have been found on the www I believe you said. How do you do this.

Thank you so much - Gina
    Hope the unplanned shoot went well with your son and his friends - I'd love to see the outputs!

LeighRebecca
    3 Apr 2009 - 5:55 PM

Thanks Gina. The lads had fun, and I may have got a couple of shots worth keeping, so, yes it went well.

I think people just find pictures by their titles and little descriptions, but it's very rare that people find a new website like that I think. Most hits to my site are either epz links or people actively searching for my name, or directly accessing because they know the web address. to my knowledge this was the first time someone has wanted something from my site without first having seen prints in a gallery.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.