Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What to do with unwanted 35mm B&W negatives?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    EdwardOnslow
    3 Jan 2012 - 11:05 AM

I have inherited a very large number of 35mm black & white negatives.

I am slowly going through them and scanning the ones that are of interest to me, but the vast majority are of unrecognisable subjects and locations.
    I intend to dispose of most of them, and I was wondering if there was anything worth recycling, in terms of the residual silver content, and if so, could anyone suggest what to do with them?

Best Regards.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jan 2012 - 11:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2012 - 12:33 PM

I would say that any silver recovery would not be viable if indeed there were any facility that would accept them.
    The dilemma is what to discard despite some that are alien to you.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    4 Jan 2012 - 8:48 PM

Quote: I have inherited a very large number of 35mm black & white negatives.

I am slowly going through them and scanning the ones that are of interest to me, but the vast majority are of unrecognisable subjects and locations.
    I intend to dispose of most of them, and I was wondering if there was anything worth recycling, in terms of the residual silver content, and if so, could anyone suggest what to do with them?

Best Regards.

There is an image library that allows contributors to upload film images taken pre-1980 (IIRC). Think the idea is that there is a market for such images. Could be that some of your "unrecognisable subjects and location" could be of interest to others who would be willing to pay for them. Someone will come along and remember which lib it is. It was discussed in another thread recently.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    4 Jan 2012 - 8:53 PM

Found it fotolibra

EdwardOnslow
    5 Jan 2012 - 9:56 AM

Thanks for that link, I'll investigate the possibilities.

I had contemplated the possibilty of a few being of historic significance and those are the ones that I'm scanning.
    For example there are some images of London docklands from the early 1960's. I'm scanning these and I shall offer them to the Docklands Museum for their archive.
    Other locations that I can identify, I'm intending to revisit and take comparison shots to show "then and now" views.

The ones that are of no use to me are (literally) hundreds of views of Scotland, lochs and mountains, most of which I don't know the location, and which probably look much the same even today.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 11:06 AM

People buy this kind of material on eBay and sometimes, depending on how well it's described, they can fetch decent prices.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.