Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What to do with unwanted 35mm B&W negatives?

3 Jan 2012 11:05AM
I have inherited a very large number of 35mm black & white negatives.

I am slowly going through them and scanning the ones that are of interest to me, but the vast majority are of unrecognisable subjects and locations.
I intend to dispose of most of them, and I was wondering if there was anything worth recycling, in terms of the residual silver content, and if so, could anyone suggest what to do with them?

Best Regards.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2012 12:33PM
I would say that any silver recovery would not be viable if indeed there were any facility that would accept them.
The dilemma is what to discard despite some that are alien to you.
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
4 Jan 2012 8:48PM

Quote:I have inherited a very large number of 35mm black & white negatives.

I am slowly going through them and scanning the ones that are of interest to me, but the vast majority are of unrecognisable subjects and locations.
I intend to dispose of most of them, and I was wondering if there was anything worth recycling, in terms of the residual silver content, and if so, could anyone suggest what to do with them?

Best Regards.

There is an image library that allows contributors to upload film images taken pre-1980 (IIRC). Think the idea is that there is a market for such images. Could be that some of your "unrecognisable subjects and location" could be of interest to others who would be willing to pay for them. Someone will come along and remember which lib it is. It was discussed in another thread recently.
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
4 Jan 2012 8:53PM
5 Jan 2012 9:56AM
Thanks for that link, I'll investigate the possibilities.

I had contemplated the possibilty of a few being of historic significance and those are the ones that I'm scanning.
For example there are some images of London docklands from the early 1960's. I'm scanning these and I shall offer them to the Docklands Museum for their archive.
Other locations that I can identify, I'm intending to revisit and take comparison shots to show "then and now" views.

The ones that are of no use to me are (literally) hundreds of views of Scotland, lochs and mountains, most of which I don't know the location, and which probably look much the same even today.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Jan 2012 11:06AM
People buy this kind of material on eBay and sometimes, depending on how well it's described, they can fetch decent prices.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.