Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What to wear for a wedding...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

julesm
julesm e2 Member 101698 forum postsjulesm vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 7:28 PM

This may seem like a bizzare question but as I am taking on more and more wedding work, I wondered if there is a correct dress code from the tog? So far I have felt that I need to be suited and booted, simply because everyone around me is, but on reflection, Im at work they are not, and more casual clobber would probably be more helpfull for holding all those camera accessories. I suppose it could also help single me out as the tog?

Seems a strange question, and Im sure the majority of the answerw will be along the lines of 'just wear what youre comfortable in".

Jules

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Aug 2007 - 7:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jjmills
jjmills  8153 forum posts Scotland
2 Aug 2007 - 7:39 PM

Maybe you have been getting more weddings because you are "suited and booted".

You might take great pictures but what if the bride says "he was good but you should have seen what he was wearing" ~ how many more weddings would you get from that comment.

I think you need to have a suit and blend in.

John

User_Removed
2 Aug 2007 - 8:00 PM

A 'sober' suit.

There again....

Hmmmmmm.....

Wink

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 8:00 PM

Try to avoid wearing a white dress and a veil - this tends to upset the bride for some reason.
Smart, casual, professional looking is perfectly acceptable. Flip-flips, shorts and a vest may be a little too casual.
Personally, I like to get dressed up.

Dave_Collier
Dave_Collier e2 Member 8236 forum postsDave_Collier vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 8:11 PM

One 'Pro' Photographer that gave a talk to a Camera Club that I belonged to said that he would enquire what the dress code was for the day from the Bride & Groom, and dress appropriatley, e.g. if it was formal Morning Suits for the men that is what he would wear!

Mind you he did do a lot of society weddings.

Snapper
Snapper  93686 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 8:11 PM

You could always try a kilt, since this will ensure that everyone will be looking at you, hence saving the bother of trying to get their attention. You'll also get smiles on everyone's face. Well, as soon as they stop laughing that is! Smile

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 8:22 PM

Casual clobber? No no no!! Dress to reflect your professionalism on someone's wedding day ..

Quote: You could always try a kilt

And that is the most sensible suggestion in the entire thread Smile .. a man in traditional Scottish dress is a fine sight .. Wink

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 2 Aug 2007 - 8:24 PM
jjmills
jjmills  8153 forum posts Scotland
2 Aug 2007 - 8:27 PM

Quote: You could always try a kilt, since this will ensure that everyone will be looking at you, hence saving the bother of trying to get their attention. You'll also get smiles on everyone's face. Well, as soon as they stop laughing that is

!

Well you must look some sight, never had anyone laugh at me in a kilt. Smile

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 8:28 PM

Trousers, shirt & jacket shouold be fine, not jeans and t-shirt

Quote: I suppose it could also help single me out as the tog?

...wouldn't the camera around your neck do that

User_Removed
2 Aug 2007 - 9:08 PM

Quote: You could always try a kilt,

The t****r who did my eldest son's Wedding two years ago wore one... I have never seen such rubbish pictures - - and it cost him 1500.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108365 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 9:20 PM

Quote: and it cost him 1500.

I knew I was in the wrong job!

User_Removed
2 Aug 2007 - 9:40 PM

I wear all black... Figure the Milk Tray Man look never did anyone any harm. Rarely wear a jacket cos I get too hot, never wear a tie unless I really have to, because it gets tangled in camera straps.

mad-dogs
mad-dogs  112201 forum posts England
2 Aug 2007 - 9:56 PM

Black suit & Top Hat. Standard undertaker gear!

julesm
julesm e2 Member 101698 forum postsjulesm vcard United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2007 - 11:32 PM

Many thanks all.
I think the general concensus seems to bear out my conviction that smart is the order of the day. I migttry without the tie though, as it did get in the way at times.

Glad you all didnt think it was a stupid question, and will definately make a note to not to wear a kilt or a white dress and veil Smile

Many thanks
Jules

darrinj
darrinj  10250 forum posts United Arab Emirates
3 Aug 2007 - 3:51 AM

My standard dress is a smart but lightwieght suit, usually dark and either a plain t-shirt or simple shirt. Never ties, they do just get in the way. Remember you are in the image business and should always get at least one booking from each wedding you shoot. If someone is going to part with a large sum of money they will feel more confident about doing so with someone who cares about their own image.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.