Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What Tripod???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JonniP
    JonniP  428 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Oct 2009 - 5:45 AM

Hi Everyone,
    I'm looking at buying a tripod, can anyone recommend a brand,model and what sort of price.
    I suppose you get what you pay for here maybe?

Regards

Jonni P

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Oct 2009 - 5:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    10 Oct 2009 - 9:30 AM

Hello Jonni P.

Your question is a bit broad to get a useful response.

I assume you want it for a D300, so a fairly solid tripod needed, but it will depend on how you want to develop your photography.

Do you need something solid for windy conditions, something relatively light if you are walking a long way with it, and do you need flexibility if you need to take pictures at awkward angles or close to the ground?

Budget is also key, and generally, yes, you do get what you pay for.

If you are intending to spend a lot on one (and I consider a good tripod an absolute essential) then have a think about what sort of subjects you want to work on and spend some time looking a reviews - and if you can get into a good shop and try some out.

From what you have posted so far you will want something to cope with macro subjects (ability to get into awkward positions, close to the ground level and fine adjustment from the head).

For what it's worth I have a Manfrotto 055MF3 (apparently replaced with this) with a 322RC2 head and am really pleased with it.

I considered the flexibility of a Benbo, but living on the coast I wasn't sure it would give the stability for those windy days. (If I could afford it I would have more than one tripod - after all we don't question a collection of lenses for different conditions - although I wouldn't want to carry a collection of tripods!)

My main advice would be take your time to work out what will work for you.

martyn05
    martyn05  7363 forum posts England
    10 Oct 2009 - 10:20 PM

My wife and I have a Manfrotto 055PROB and a 055XPROB, both fitted with 322RC2 heads, worth every penny IMHO.

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2009 - 10:46 PM

I do like the 322RC2 head as agood generalist option without breaking the bank, but the fact that you have to keep your hand on the triggor to keep the pressure off is an annoyance to me when working with a zoom lens or any lens which is generally quite heavy (more telephoto where one also wants a hand under the lens barrel as well).
    For primes (or shooting at fixed focal length) and most lighter lenses its a great head and very quick to adjust - quite a solid grip too.
    Otherwise if you're more after something more suited to tracking a moving subject I would say look to a regular ballhead - only if you feel you need it for that use though

JonniP
    JonniP  428 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2009 - 7:24 AM

Thanks to all that got back to me, I really have no clue so even a brand name recommend is useful to me. I have checked the price out for the legs & head? Approx 185 for the two. So i now have something to work on.
    Thanks again folks.

martyn05
    martyn05  7363 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2009 - 10:35 AM

Get a Manfrotto, you will not be disappointed, and it will last for years.

redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 10:50 AM

Pay as much as you can afford. You will need to compromise between weight and sturdiness, heavy ones tend to be more stable ideal for mountaintops in driving rain, however getting them up to the mountain top is a real chore!
    Manfrotto have looked after me well, but avoid their smaller models, they are quite flimsy IMO. The head you buy is also an important decision, I personally love the Manfrotto trigger heads, I have two. as I said earlier, go as expensive as you can afford, it will pay dividends in the end.
    I also suggest you consider a mono pod just to add to the armoury, especially if you use long lenses.
    Jon

toneb75
    toneb75  5187 forum posts England
    11 Oct 2009 - 12:23 PM

I would agree that you should spend as much as you can afford on a tripod and if it means saving a little longer then so be it. I made the mistake of buying a cheapie (35) and whilst it was OK it was not very sturdy and didn't look like it would last long with repeated use.

I had it for a month before I upgraded to a Manfrotto 190XB PRO (around 85 without head), which is what I should have bought in the first place - you live and learn. The manfrotto is far superior in build quality and looks like it will last forever.

So buy a good quality tripod as you will get what you pay for.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.