Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What was your first digital camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 8:51 AM

I think it was the Fuji 2800z - a very nice little camera actually and I still have it knocking around. For some reason though it won't work any more - might be the batteries I tried as it was very particular about which AA batteries it would take.

22-image1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Apr 2013 - 8:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 113098 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 8:55 AM

My first was a Practica 3mp compact that I won in a photo comp in 2003.

My first DSLR was a Pentax K200D.

Ken

SteveHunter
19 Apr 2013 - 8:57 AM

Canon Powershot A80 4mp

My other half still uses it Smile

I didn't quite make me stop using the film SLR so I ended up carrying 2 cameras all the time. That was the case until I finally buckled and bought a Canon EOS 400D, the rest is history, and expensive Sad

PhilT2
PhilT2 e2 Member 496 forum postsPhilT2 vcard England9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 9:02 AM

Mine was a Fuji S5000 bought in 2004. Got me hooked on bridge cameras in preference to my old Nikon SLR film camera and lenses. With its 10X zoom it was much easier to carry around than a bag of lenses. Only problem with digital is I became a bit snap happy as the images were for free (after buying memory card) and a lot of my pictures were totally rubbish as compared with just slightly rubbish.
However after 3 such bridge cameras I realised the limitations of these and a couple of years back bought a Nikon DSLR and started to think about my shots again and be more selective. More weight with lenses but certainly more enjoyment. Grin

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73298 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 9:21 AM

Toshiba PDR-M71. 3.2 Megapix. Used Smart Media cards. Bees Knees when it was launched in 2002.
Still use it occasionally today when I want a small lightweight.
The trouble was there was a long delay between pressing the shutter & capturing the image so action shots really needed pre-planning.

Quote: I didn't quite make me stop using the film SLR so I ended up carrying 2 cameras all the time. That was the case until I finally buckled and bought a Canon EOS 400D, the rest is history, and expensive

SNAP. When we finally decided to take the plunge into "proper" digital we invested in 2 Canon 400Ds, plus a miriad of lenses as none of our old Olympus lenses would fit. Of course they eventually "needed" upgrading so we now have a 5DII & a 550D also.

PS anyone want a 2nd hand 400D, one careful owner; never raced or rallied? Wink

Last Modified By adrian_w at 19 Apr 2013 - 9:23 AM
Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 - 9:49 AM

My first was the camera on my Sony K800i mobile phone with a 5.1mp Sureshot camera built in!!

Then I was bought a Canon 400D for Christmas 2007 - its still my main Camera as cant afford an upgrade!!!

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9357 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
19 Apr 2013 - 11:22 AM

Canon A70 3.1 MegaPixels in 2002. First DSLR was a Canon 30D in 2006

guidoa
guidoa  121325 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 - 11:23 AM

Many years ago Got the Nikon 4500 ( the one you swivelled), it was only 2 mb and I still have 20x16 print on the wall from it. Gave it my grand daughter eventually who used it for a uni project.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 11:58 AM

This was the first look at digital cameras, Seem to remember I was amused rather than impressed, Nikon produced the lens for them, 2.1 Mega Pix was cutting edge in 1999/2000....Grin-dsc9693edited-001.jpg

Just fired it out of the office window, So it still works..Smile The shutter lag is interesting, Makes me wonder how in hell I managed to get so many images of horses ridden at a canter back then, LOL, Must have had more patience I guess, Had a competition win too.....Sheesh!

31010005edited-001.jpg

Used our film cameras for anything serious mind.....Wink

Oh! The price of this thing...............Yikes! Talk about extortion, Getting on for 600 squid at the time, Maybe that's why it still works when newer products have bit the dust long ago.

Last Modified By cameracat at 19 Apr 2013 - 12:04 PM
seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7534 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 - 12:46 PM

First one was Minolta Dimage A1, a great little camera to start with, then got Nikon D70 (still got it), D70s (now with my son), D80 (sold), D90 and now D7000. Still have my Canon EOS 1000Fn film camera, which was great and used it for years but found their DSLRs like 300D a bit small in my hands (larger ones like 30D came along later) so I switched to Nikon. If the larger Canon models had appeared and were affordable back then I might have stuck with Canon.

Franticsmurf
19 Apr 2013 - 12:48 PM

Mine was an Olympus C900 (I think), 1.3mp. It cost around 500 from PC World and used a Smart media card. I got hooked and a year or so later I upgraded to an Olympus CZ3030 which went with me everywhere. I was using medium format film at the time but being able to look at the digital photos instantaneously was very seductive.

First DSLR - a Fuji S2.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 1:04 PM

Can't remember the make but it boasted a 0.75mb image size!

My very first foray into digital image making was around 1976 when my company got me a monster piece of digital imaging equipment for studying sections of foamed plastic.
It was basically a giant epidiascope that projected the enlarged image onto a screen with a fine mesh of copper wire built into it.
I had to touch each critical bit of the image on the screen with a conductive pointer wired back to the machine until I had covered the entire image.
It had a hard-wired computer that then worked out the dimensions of the structure and printed out the image on a piece of computer paper - real high tech sruff in those days! Tongue
The clever bit was that if I input the mechanical properties of the base plastic material it tried to calculate the properties of the foam (very badly as it turned out Wink )

(it was something like this, but without the clever video analysis bit, I had to generate the data points myself)

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
19 Apr 2013 - 1:56 PM

Got my MX-700 around Christmas 1997 I think. "Christmas bonus" from work, as we worked with Fujifilm.

Andy80F
Andy80F  11306 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Apr 2013 - 3:21 PM

Agfa ePhoto307, won it in a competition 1997/8 and had a maximum resolution of about 640 x 480, and about 300,000 pixels. Nice to use but convinced me to stick with film, for serious stuff, till the megapixel count went over 10 million which was what an article of that time thought would represent 35mm film. Had a few Olympus digital compacts follow the Agfa but that was the first.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 3:29 PM

My first digital was the Casio QV-R4 which was 4MP bought in the early 2000's. There was also the QV-R3 out at the same time boasting 3MP. It's still working today though I don't actually use it. I recall it cost about 380 at the time.

In 2007 I bought a Canon 400D for about 450 which is still my main camera as, like Nigeyboy, I have no funds to upgrade either. I probably won't upgrade until the 400D is completely unusable, though I keep a close eye on the M43 Olympus models and announcements.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.