Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What was your first digital camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

muzzeyman
muzzeyman  10293 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Apr 2013 - 11:26 PM

Fuji Finepix A101 1.3 mega pixel compact, bought back in 02 out in Portugal. First digital SLR was a Canon EOS D60 which I only sold about a year ago.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Apr 2013 - 11:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

Mine was a Sony Mavica FD7 in the late 90s.

It wrote images to 3" floppy disks and I used to carry a box of spares around with me. Resolution was 640x480 and some of my earliest images on here were taken with it.

My first DSLR was a Nikon D70 and since then I have had a D200, D300 and am now using a D7000 (courtesy of ePz Christmas Smile)

Ian

ChrisV
ChrisV  7819 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 2:30 PM

I had access to several early digital cameras via work - initially an Apple Quicktake 150 in the early 90s - which was more of a still video camera as I recall than a true digital. I may have had another before it, but the first digital camera I owned which sticks in my memory was an Olympus C1300L. Whacking 1.3Mp resolution and TTL viewfinder. It ate AA batteries like they were going out of fashion and had very limited control [I think there was only three aperture settings]. I was still using a film SLR at the time, but this was the first digital that felt anything like a 'proper camera' in my hands and it could capture some half reasonable images in good light.

I bought a D70 within months of it appearing - which took over as my main camera [over the Pentax film SLR I had]. It was the 2nd 'affordable' DSLR on the market [that is body costing less than 1,000!] and I thought it easily trumped the Canon 300D for build features and ergonomics. If the 700D is Canon's modern equivalent to their first foray into that side of the market, I'd say the D70 is closer to the D7100 than the D5200.

I've since jumped ship to Canon as all my Nikon (at the time principally a D300) gear was nicked and I wanted to go 35mm format. Even then it wasn't that I thought the 5DII was massively better than the D700 - but ironically because the stop gap/backup camera I could afford pre-insurance was a choice between a 550D and a D5000 and at that point the former was significantly better.

Were I choosing again now those choices would probably be reversed with the current crop of cameras although it probably matters less these days as everyone seems to be producing very good cameras (including the CSCs). Whilst the 5DII is easily the best camera I've ever owned I still have a great fondness of that long since dead D70. Probably the greatest difference in image quality is just in the extremes of shooting conditions - except where printing especially large...

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7110 forum postsTrev_B vcard England64 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 11:10 PM

Mine was a Nikon Coolpix 950 2.1mp back in 1999 when consumer digital cameras were pretty rare.... I loved it and sold it to a colleague who still uses it.

1st Nikon Coolpix 950
2nd NikonCoolpix 5700
3rd Nikon D70
4th Niko D700

also a Nikon P7000 for holidays

Trev

randomrubble
22 Apr 2013 - 11:30 PM

A Ricoh R30, one of the worst bits of kit I've ever owned. Then a, slightly better, Eos 1Ds Smile

Bravdo
Bravdo  6 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 11:36 PM

Canon Powershot s30 around 600 in 2000, a cracking camera at the time

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.