Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What were the top visual clichés for 2012?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2013 - 6:55 PM

i had this orrible thought of pete stood knee deep in a lake with his balls on fire. then i read it again and see he meant on different occasions. Grin

doing the both together actually sounds rather interesting

this time last year i offered to blow the tree up, hope no one thinks its me.
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 1 Jan 2013 - 6:57 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jan 2013 - 6:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jan 2013 - 7:01 PM

Quote: I am starting to get a bit weary of HDR, mostly when that is all an image is about

Well it must be popular, cameras have started to include it now Smile

Would be nice to see more original stuff.

Not sure what to call this but it looks pretty cool.

http://www.beyondthebokeh.com/

paul_indigo
1 Jan 2013 - 7:22 PM

This is what good photography looks like to me:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/12/30/sunday-review/2012-year-in-picture...

parisd1
parisd1  1
2 Jan 2013 - 7:39 AM

Again HDR with all the sliders in Photomatix turned up to full?

'Then and now' street shots set to become the in thing??

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 1:35 PM

Thanks Paul for the check list of areas:
[quotes]
Done - Seascapes with blurry, smooth water
Need a new Tree - Landscape with a lone tree (a particular one seems to have bothered several epz'ers)
Done - Captive animals
Done - Birds on a branch
Done - HDR badly done/ Bad imitations of HDR that go dirty and murky
Not Yet - Piers/jettys going off into smoothed lakes
Practised the burning ball bit Smile - Someone mentioned balls of steel wool on fire swung around
Partly done - Over manipulated and over filtered images (I still see shots on some sites using that awful water reflection filter)

So I just need a jetty and some rippling water to smooth Wink

New and original for 2013 ? - well if i put it here we'll all be doing it, (unless its too weird).
New for me - more astrantia flower style shots, models, branches, better lighting.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014736 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 1:41 PM

My NDR comment was rather tongue in cheek Paul Wink

To expand.....

Everyone's moaning about HDR being terrible, I would strongly argue that there were FAR MORE bad Single Shot (NDR) images posted than bad HDR images.

1 shot or multiple shots, it's just data capture. HDR and NDR are ways of capturing information to make into a photograph.

It's just as easy to screw up a 1-shot as a 3-shot HDR - it's just people using the processing tools which makes these terrible images people complain about.

Maybe HDR gives you more latitude to make eye poppingly awful images, but to blame HDR itself is demented.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 2:27 PM

someone link me to the burning balls bit, it sounds fascinating to me
Phil

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53537 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 2:30 PM

Quote: Someone link me to the burning balls bit, it sounds fascinating to me
Phil

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/fire-in-the-night-22483730
Love it.
and
http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/first-time-playing-with-fire--22472448

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 2 Jan 2013 - 2:31 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 2:33 PM

I am another who is growing tired of the 'big boulder in the foreground' landscapes: even though that does not stop me thinking 'wow!' with the occasional one but on a page of thumbnails it has to be an exceptional one that makes me take the time to open it. But that I think is a limitation of the lens as much as anything because without that intense foreground interest, the photos can easily be bland. This I think is why in general I prefer the 24mm/28mm lenses (in 35mm sensor terms) because it gives you more creational lattitude (as he prepares to be flamed).

Quote: It's just as easy to screw up a 1-shot as a 3-shot HDR - it's just people using the processing tools which makes these terrible images people complain about.

Maybe HDR gives you more latitude to make eye poppingly awful images, but to blame HDR itself is demented.

+1
I wonder how many images (especially in magazines) are done so well that people do not realise they are HDR?

NEWMANP
2 Jan 2013 - 2:42 PM

Ade, i also hate the really badly done hdrs , done just for the sake of it with no thought to extending the dynamic range.
there a good few who seem to enjoy using the grungiest settings with charcoal in the skies and the biggest halos they can acheive and lets be honest they look bloody gross most of the time.

if some one starts with a good idea and hdr adds to effect thats fine but mostly from the ones i see they are starting with a crap idea making a poor picture worse.

im sure we all appreciate the well done ones with a reason for using hdr
Phil

NEWMANP
2 Jan 2013 - 2:46 PM

interesting, - this great balls of fire stuff, what do we do, tie a ball of wire wool to some thin wire set fire and swing it around some where safe.? will it burn without soaking in semtex or something

Phil

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 2:47 PM

Quote: if some one starts with a good idea and hdr adds to effect thats fine but mostly from the ones i see they are starting with a crap idea making a poor picture worse.

Phil, is that because the only ones you notice are the ones tone mapped to within an inch of their lives? You probably don't give the good ones a second thought because you don't realise they are HDR (do you include manual HDR or are you just thinking tone mapped images?)

Last Modified By Nick_w at 2 Jan 2013 - 2:48 PM
NEWMANP
2 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM

no Nick,
thats what im saying, the ones done really well are excellent, take Paul Morgans or Yungs seascapes for instance, i can see they often did some hdr in them, but did it so well that its not detectable to the majority of viewers. ( some still think they come from the camera like that ) Ade experiments with HDR all the time and he knows how to make them look right too.

when they are done that way, and then often back blended over an original for even better result i think they can be exceptional.

i just hate the ones you describe as tone mapped to death, and for no apparant reason. ie would look much better without.

i read Derbyshire life mag a bit, and they love peak landscapes hdr,d to death
regards
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 2 Jan 2013 - 2:55 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 3:39 PM

IMHO the best HDRs are the ones that look natural.
Just sticking my oar in as I'm having a bad day with some software. Sad Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 4:00 PM

Grunge, overblown HDR, Technicolor processing with smoky waters, Grainy B&W (where its clear the grain is an added "effect") average to poor images with pretentious titles (particularly those that win big money in the major competitions - Bah Humbug Tongue )

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.