Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What were the top visual clichés for 2012?

JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Jan 2013 4:04PM

Quote:where its clear the grain is an added "effect"

Surely all grain with a digital cameras is an added effect ?

Perhaps you meant where it has been overdone a bit like highly saturated images Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
2 Jan 2013 5:07PM
Naff titles Smile
NeilS e2
7 903 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2013 8:24PM

Quote:where its clear the grain is an added "effect" Surely all grain with a digital cameras is an added effect

Not if its done at medium to high ISO with an old canon
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
3 Jan 2013 6:12AM
What isn't a cliche really .. Very little.

A lone, miserable figure staring directly into camera, a dejected and vulnerable person sat on the edge of a bed in a bland and depressing bedroom scene, a poor ethnic child eek ing out an existence on a dump or elsewhere. A monotonous post-industrial landscape with a muted colour cast, many of these will be seen in competition winning lists or on prestigious gallery walls so I will understand anyone copying them. I would indeed love to see anything here anyone thanks is devoid of cliche and actually completely new or innovative.

I don't care about cliche really because I rarely look at what has been done before and certainly don't get caught up in dropping names or sycophantic worship of past photographers, which seemed to be automatic and required behaviour when studying photography so I don't concern myself with how much something has been done before and by whom. It would seem ridiculous, if I took an image I or people I knew loved, and was then put off it because it was cliche'd. That would be as stupid as someone being wholly preoccupied with the 'rules of photography' such as 'rule of thirds' rather than just liking and taking what they like.
paul_indigo 11 259 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2013 12:16AM
The Nikon Photo Contest judges eloquently sum up a lot of what I think photographers should be striving for in their work: http://www.nikon-photocontest.com/en/#/home
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
4 Jan 2013 1:51AM
And some amazing and inspiring images .....
icphoto 13 1.5k England
6 Jan 2013 11:53AM
Burning wire wool swung around, how boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!SadSadSad
8 Jan 2013 11:00AM
Dungeness aka Duntodeath Tongue

It would be nice to see some fire poi spinner set light to all the derelict sheds & boats, and why can't the metal thieves take away all the rusty junk. Wink
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
8 Jan 2013 11:12AM
I know we all get a bit tired of visual cliches, but thinking of something new is very difficult. Everything seems to have been done and except for those lucky few who can get to the more undiscovered and difficult places us everyday photographers just have to go with what's there, and subjects which have all been done before. Magazine articles which are still the same today as they were 20-30 years ago give or take the medium and "processing" so unless you're documenting the changes in society and the landscape/architecture over the years I'm not sure what could be new.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
8 Jan 2013 11:16AM
Are the subject mentioned cliches or just the best views of the country etc? I still head for the tripod hole shots when I visit a new location...simply because often that viewpoint is the very best for that location. I do of course hunt around for my own take on the place.

It's all a bit like gold digging. If you went to a popular gold digging spot you'd head for the areas that were known to be good and reap the rewards...but then you may also go to other locations and either fail miserably or, if you're very lucky, strike untouched gold!
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2013 12:19PM
I look on cliches as being about a style rather than a particular subject - applying the 'boulder in the foreground' to every wide angle lansdcape shot is to my mind different to seeing multiple shots of Loch Etive or whatever (as Pete says with some locations there is not a lot different you can do). It is like the formula overrides the subject, whereas with the same subject you can try and find something different to do with it.
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
8 Jan 2013 12:27PM
One man's cliche is another man's joy at having produced a piece of work he feels proud enough to share...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.